Trial Spam On Startup

Is there a way to disable the obtrusive in your face spam that you get when you load the trial version of bitdefender.

I'd like to evaluate the product and so far it's been pretty good, but the disgraceful spam that I have to close down every single time I load up my computer is pushing me to the point of non-purchase.

Who honestly thinks that spamming their potential customers like this is a good idea, whoever designed it should be fired ?

Comments

• I believe the on logon trial notification can hardly be called spam. It's a legitimate notification that the product you are using will expire in a number of days and you can rest assured that it does not show up after purchasing a license. The nag-screen method of notification has been used in the software industry for at least a decade with most people understanding and accepting the context under which it is shown.

I'm sorry to learn that this bothers you, but I do not believe it will go away at least until after the next major version.

• I believe the on logon trial notification can hardly be called spam. It's a legitimate notification that the product you are using will expire in a number of days and you can rest assured that it does not show up after purchasing a license. The nag-screen method of notification has been used in the software industry for at least a decade with most people understanding and accepting the context under which it is shown.

I'm sorry to learn that this bothers you, but I do not believe it will go away at least until after the next major version.

Of course it can be called spam, there is no option to disable it and it literally spams me every time I log my machine on. Fair enough once every 10 days or so, but every time I start my system, really ?

Just because the "nag-screen" method is used does not mean it is widely accepted, in fact I would be willing to stake money that if you picked 100 people and asked them if it bothered them and if they found it obtrusive the majority would certainly say yes.

I've got no problem with a small bubble popping up from my system tray saying 28 days left till activation, then disappearing till my next logon. But having a large splash screen in the middle of your screen every time you load your machine and then having to manually close it as well is enough to aggravate most people.

I have had a bitdefender license in the past, up until the horror that was bitdefender 2010, because when that first launched the software was a mess in comparison to 2009 and previous, my AVG just expired and I wanted to give bitdefender another shot to see how the new version was, but the whole splash screen issue is souring the experience as the actual software seems wholly better than 2010.

• csalgau
    csalgau ✭✭
    edited January 2011

I have to say I use hibernate most of the time and don't see a power-on nag screen as such a big bother, but you do have a point.

I can only say I'll try sending some emails up the chain and see what I can get, but I can't commit to an answer.

Thank you for your input!

PS To answer your initial question, apart from registration, there is no other supported method.

Makeshift solutions such as a ****** with an automation language that closes the window on boot would probably work if you're willing to try.

• Well here's approximately what I got from up above. Apparently I haven't tested trials enough myself:)

On current products the nag screen is only shown on days 1, 15 and the last 5 days of your license. Making it also disappear after a while will be looked into. If your product is acting differently, please provide some details so that we can investigate the problem.

Thank you.

• orson
    edited January 2011
    Well here's approximately what I got from up above. Apparently I haven't tested trials enough myself:)

On current products the nag screen is only shown on days 1, 15 and the last 5 days of your license. Making it also disappear after a while will be looked into. If your product is acting differently, please provide some details so that we can investigate the problem.

Thank you.

It definitely loads up every single time I start my machine.

Currently 27 days left till activation.

Windows 7 64 bit

bitdefender total security 2011

• Indeed you're right. This is not the intended behavior and, while I cannot give you a time-frame, I've been told the issue will be addressed.

This discussion has been closed.