Bitdefender Total 2011

wezzie
edited January 2011 in Old topics

I have begun to regularly get pop up with "Bitdefender 2011 has encountered a problem and needs to close" Any ideas what is going on and a fix if poosible. SEnt details to Tech dept but still waiting for a solution so in meantime any ideas what is the cause and repair. Also scan schedule does not seem yo be working correctly. Checked but they fail to start when timed.

Comments

• From the topic title, it seems you have BD 2011 Total Security installed, is that correct? Also, is this a relatively new install of BDTS 2011, or has it been running OK for some period of time until recently?

Some more details about your PC would be helpful - OS (WinXP, Vista, Win7), 32-bit or 64-bit, current with all Microsoft SP's & critical updates? PC hardware - laptop, desktop, CPU, RAM, etc.

Awaiting your reply,

• I'm having the same problem "Saying BitDefender encountered a problem and will Close." I installed it about 2 weeks ago on a new hard drive with my Windows XP Home Edition with SP3 32bit mode. It ran okay until about 2 days ago. I have keep the updates for Windows up to date. I'm running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor with 2.75GB of ram.

One of things I did was recently was run the Registry Cleaner. I tried to run a Deep System Scan and it got to Bitdefender 2011/seccenter.exe and locked up.

• @jetsitter - first, thank you for providing such good detailed information. :) I don't know which Registry cleaner program you used, but it would be my first suspect. Some cleaners can be overly aggressive and delete or alter Registry entries that can cause programs to no longer run properly.

I would recommend running a Repair of BD.

1. Go to Windows Start-->All Programs-->BitDefender 2011-->Repair or Remove. Follow the on-screen instructions to Repair BD. NOTE: running the Repair will do 2 things: reset any custom options/settings you may have made back to factory defaults, so write down any changed settings so you can put them back later; and it will restore BD to the original Build version.

2. Reboot the PC when the Repair has finished and update the product by right-clicking on the BD icon in the Windows System Tray and selecting Update Now. You can view the Build version by right-clicking on the BD icon in the Windows System Tray and select About to view the Build version. The current Build version should display as 14.0.24.337.

3. You may have to reboot the PC and do an Update Now several times in order to get up to the current Build version.

I actually stopped using a Registry cleaner program that I had been using for years because it removed entries that wound up damaging programs on my PC. I rarely run a Registry cleaner any more. The risk outweighs the benefits.

Awaiting your results,

• I used the Repair and Remove program in the repair mode and this worked. The Registry Cleaner that I used was BitDefender Tune-up Registry Cleaner. I can see that it may clean parts of the registry that it may think is bad and could be legitimate programs.

Thanks for the quick response.

• @jetsitter - Glad you got it working again. :)

Thanks for posting back with your results,

This discussion has been closed.