Bitdefender 2011 Installation Failed.

So I have a brand new Windows 7 Professional 32-bit install, updated with SP1 and all available windows updates. I am logged in as the real Administrator and have UAC disabled.

I download the file "bitdefender_antivirus_2011_32b.exe" from bitdefender.com (i have downloaded multiple times, each time the installation fails) and launch it. I get the window that says "Please wait wihle the BitDefender files are unpacked ..." and then an Error box pops up saying only "Installation failed".

I click ok on the Error box, and it pops up again a few more times. Then the other window continues and asks me to accept the license and continue. I can continue with the installation a few steps until the program says "installing drivers" and then it hangs there forever.

When I cancel the installation using the Cancel button, the window closes and a few more of the same Error windows pop up, one after the other, saying "Installation failed".

I reboot, run the "BitDefender_Uninstall_Tool.exe" and then reboot again before trying anything else. Every time the installation goes the same way as before, with the installation failing and the error windows popping up. I can't get this program to install on that machine!

I have also tried installing with the trial program launcher, that downloads the program for me, with the same results.

I'm going to run the uninstaller tool once more from safe mode to see if that helps, but I am not hopeful. So, what is going on? What can I do? I have disabled some services in windows, but all other programs install just fine. Is there a specific service that needs to be running in order for the installer to succeed? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Can't edit my previous post but after running the uninstall tool in safe mode, rebooting into regular mode, then rebooting again into regular mode, and installing from the full file, i still get the installation failed window on the "please wait while the bitdefender installer is configured ..." window. :|

it just won't install. and, even though i'm logged in as the real administrator and uac disabled, i tried right-clicking the install file and "run as administrator" with the same results.

anyone have any ideas at all?

• What web browser are you using to do the download?

Are you using any kind of download manager program?

What type and speed internet connection do you have?

Is that the complete error message? If there is more, please post the exact message or include screen shot of the error message window.

The full-file direct download links in THIS TOPIC should be the same, but try it anyway to see if it works.

• What web browser are you using to do the download?

Are you using any kind of download manager program?

What type and speed internet connection do you have?

Is that the complete error message? If there is more, please post the exact message or include screen shot of the error message window.

The full-file direct download links in THIS TOPIC should be the same, but try it anyway to see if it works.

1. ie8

2. no

3. cable modem

yes it is the complete error message - the title of the window is "Error" and "Installation failed." is the text inside it. It's a tiny window.

yes the download in the link http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=20566 is what i used, the filename is in my first post.

I do have an update of information though. I decided to just keep pressing Close on the Error windows, and let the installer get to the "installing drivers" portion again where it hangs. I let it hang there awhile and minimized it, and saw another same Error window behind it, so I closed that one as well. A few more popped up and I closed them, and then the installer went through with the installation.

I have installed this on vista x64, win 7 sp1 x64 and win xp sp3 x32 with no errors or problems (other than the Updating changing settings in my post in the Updates forum...) so I don't know what it is on this machine. It is apparently working now, but again, during the installation I had to close about 10 of the Error - Installation failed windows, so i don't know if the program is fully installed & working, or what.

Thanks.

• Just continue to monitor BD over the coming days and post back with any issues, if they occur.

Regards,