Antivirus 2011 Slows Internet Speed Considerably

I'm running AntiVirus Pro 2011 and was having the same problem as described in the original post. I followed the instructions provide and was able to determine that Active Virus Control when enabled significantly reduces download performance.

For example, the average download speeds for a 24.8 MB file are:

AVC enabled; download time 7 minutes 51 seconds

AVC disabled; download time less than 500 milliseconds.

Average bandwidth speeds:

Ping 56 ms

Download 17.1 MB/sec

Upload 1.85 MB/sec

Is this a bug in BitDefender Pro 2011? If not, is there a way to tune BitDefender so that security is not diminished by disabling features within BitDefender?

Dave

Hello MOman,

The current installation kit is no different then the one you downloaded on September 10th and also it has nothing to do with the functionality of BitDefender on your computer, if it was properly downloaded. It is only a file that you run in order to install BitDefender and only the installed program may interfere with the functionality of your computer.

Since you have a BitDefender product that does not have a Firewall module included, we recommend you for start, to stop the Windows Firewall or any other firewall that you may have installed, then test again your Internet connection .

Now, in order to troubleshoot this issue we recommend you make the following changes in the BitDefender settings :

1. Open BitDefender, click on the Settings button then choose the Expert Mode.

2. Click on Antivirus and under the Shield tab, select the Advanced Settings button and disable the Active Virus Control feature.

3. In the same location, click on Custom Level and make sure that the following option are not checked:

- Scan http traffic

- Scan Yahoo Messenger traffic

- Scan Windows Live Messenger traffic

4. Now test to see if there are any changes in the speed of your Internet connection.

5. You can also, try to disable the Privacy Control feature to see if there are any changes after that .

Since you have a dial-up connection you should set BitDefender to download only the virus signatures updates, or to perform a complete update at a certain hour of the day when you do not use your computer.

In order to set BitDefender to download updates at a certain interval, under Expert Mode click on the Update module. After that click on the Settings tab from the right and under "Automatic Update Settings" you have the possibility to change the interval when BitDefender should make the updates .

If you want to install only the virus signatures updates, under "Confirm update" click on the option called "Prompt before downloading updates " and under "Manual Update Settings " click on the same option "Prompt before downloading updates " and click on the Apply button . Now, whenever an update is performed you will see that a new window will show up. You will have to choose only the Signatures updates and then click on Ok.

Let us know if the above instructions helped you .

Thank you .

Comments

• @Daveber - It would help if you gave us some basic information about your PC:

-what OS are you running (XP, Vista, Win 7)?

-which archetecture (x86 or x64)?

-what type & speed processor (CPU)?

-how much memory (RAM) is installed?

-are you running wired or wireless?

BD tech support may be able to identify other issues that might be causing your issue if you want to send them BD generated log files. If you want to do that, please follow this procedure:

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

• No, there is no bug with the AVC. You should read the BitDefender manual and the explanations about AVC / IDS. Those two features are to enhance your PC security in terms of scanning and detecting potentially harmful applications based on their behavior. Each application will get a score based on its actions. When the score reaches a given threshold, the application will be blocked. That means that whenever a file will be scanned, before starting the installation, AVC will scan to see if any threats are found or if the application is clean.

On what level is the slider when you've made the tests (under AVC) ? Do you also have IDS enabled ? Before performing any tests you should provide us with at least the basic info about your PC such as: processor, RAM, architecture etc.

Follow the steps Gary (Nikki605) advised you to and send me the PM with the download link along with the details I requested above. You will have my answer in the shortest time possible.

Regards,

• Dan,

Sorry for the delay, but for some reason this thread isn't showing up in my posts and difficult to track. Another time to figure this out.

Here is the system information requested:

-what OS are you running Vista Home Professional Service Pack 2

-which architecture 64 bit

-what type & speed processor Intel T8300 2.4Ghz

-how much memory (RAM) is installed? 4 Gb

-are you running wired or wireless? wired at 100 G/sec

Sorry if I disagree with your initial assessment. With more than 30 years in IT and specifically at a security spe######t, the level of security control and system protection must be balanced in relation to system performance. If enabling AVC is degrading system performance by a factor of 2.8260 x 10 7th power, your utility is worthless since daily operations cannot be impacted to that level and keep the utility enabled.

I did not make up the test criteria. I performed three test and the data below was the average returns.

• AVC enabled; download time 7 minutes 51 seconds
    • AVC disabled; download time less than 500 milliseconds.

Ping 56 ms

Download 17.1 MB/sec

Upload 1.85 MB/sec

If this is the expected delays, I suggest you push this information up to your developers. In the mean time, I will run the system tool and reply with the results.

Regards

• DanyDan, your PM mailbox is full. Let me know when you empty the mailbox so I can send the PM with the links to you.

• Hi Dave,

Got your PM and the info you provided. Thanks! I will escalate the issue to the Dev team and will keep you updated via email, as soon as I will have an answer from my colleagues. Meanwhile, I need few clarifications from you. You mentioned "If enabling AVC is degrading system performance". With the AVC feature enabled you notice a PC slowdown or just the download speed ?

No, the only "slowdown" you should notice was when the file gets to 99% while it gets scanned for viruses. Other than that, the download speed should not be influenced.

Also you haven't mentioned the level of the slider for AVC and if you also have IDS enabled while the issue occurs.

I created a ticket on your behalf with ID: 201101221005163. Please check your email associated with your forum account and send me all requested info via email.

Looking forward to your answer!

• I also notice it when I am downloading a movie in torrent. I run a full scan in my computer while downloading and the speed of downloading has been going down. We hope that you resolve this particular issue. Thank You.

• I'm running AntiVirus Pro 2011 and was having the same problem as described in the original post. I followed the instructions provide and was able to determine that Active Virus Control when enabled significantly reduces download performance.

AVC enabled; download time 7 minutes 51 seconds

AVC disabled; download time less than 500 milliseconds.

Ping 56 ms

Download 17.1 MB/sec

Upload 1.85 MB/sec

Is this a bug in BitDefender Pro 2011? If not, is there a way to tune BitDefender so that security is not diminished by disabling features within BitDefender?

Dave

hi,

you can go here and check your internet speed here at ip-details.com and you can increase your internet speed here , my friend suggest me to go this site and it is working very good.

This discussion has been closed.