[resolved]Microsoft Office 2010 Not Working

Duradel
edited July 2011 in Antivirus

After installing BD TS 2012 Microsoft Office will not open at all. I tried adding exceptions to the virus scanner and the problem remains. In BD TS 2011 the problem was caused by the IDS module and I needed to add exceptions to that, it doesn't appear to be as straight forward in this version since the problem occurs even with IDS set to permissive or completely turned off. Anyone able to assist with this one?

I am using the 64 Bit version of BD TS 2012 on a Windows 7 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• Do you get an error message from BD (if so please post the exact message) or does the program just not open? What happens?

I am using BDAV Plus 2012, but to see if it's AVC, try this as a test. First set AVC to Permissive and test again. If it still doesn't work, then turn AVC completely off.

post-35640-1311896896_thumb.jpg

Post back with your results.

Regards,

• Duradel
    edited July 2011
    Do you get an error message from BD (if so please post the exact message) or does the program just not open? What happens?

I am using BDAV Plus 2012, but to see if it's AVC, try this as a test. First set AVC to Permissive and test again. If it still doesn't work, then turn AVC completely off.

post-35640-1311896896_thumb.jpg

Post back with your results.

Regards,

These are the steps required to replicate my problem:

1) Attempt to open any office 2010 application (includes word, powerpoint, excel and outlook).

2) Error message occurs at this point: "Microsoft Word has stopped working"

3) After clicking close the program the program will stop at this point

WordNotWorking.jpg

I tried changing AVC to permissive and attempted to execute a word document and the problem still occured. If I turn AVC completely off the problem is fixed.

BitDefenderAVCOff.jpg

Is there anyway to add exclusions to the AVC module which doesn't involve what I have already done in the screen shot below? It doesn't appear to work.

BitDefenderExclusions.jpg

• Duradel
    edited July 2011

I wasn't able to edit my previous post again for some reason. I meant to ask if its possible to add exclusions 'only' to the AVC?

EDIT: Can a moderator please move this over to the antivirus section too?

• I am using MS Office 2007 and did not have any problems under BDAV 2011 or now, using BDAV 2012. It is odd that you had to set exceptions for Office 2010 even running BDTS 2011.

I have moved your topic to the Antivirus sub-forum as requested. BD tech support will be better able to respond to your issue when they read this.

Regards,

• Duradel
    edited July 2011
    I am using MS Office 2007 and did not have any problems under BDAV 2011 or now, using BDAV 2012. It is odd that you had to set exceptions for Office 2010 even running BDTS 2011.

I have moved your topic to the Antivirus sub-forum as requested. BD tech support will be better able to respond to your issue when they read this.

Regards,

I think it is an issue with only Office 2010. When I was on Office 2007 I don't believe there was a problem.

• nikki605
    edited July 2011
    I meant to ask if its possible to add exclusions 'only' to the AVC?

To add exclusions to the AVC, this is from the Help menu:

I can no longer use an application

This issue occurs when you are trying to use a program which was working normally before installing Bitdefender.

You may encounter one of these situations:

• You could receive a message from Bitdefender that the program is trying to make a modification to the system.

• You could receive an error message from the program you're trying to use.

This type of situation occurs when the Active Virus Control module mistakenly detects some applications as malicious.

Active Virus Control is a Bitdefender module which constantly monitors the applications running on your system and reports those with potentially malicious behavior. Since this feature is based on a heuristic system, there may be cases when legitimate applications are reported by Active Virus Control.

When this situation occurs, you can exclude the respective application from being monitored by Active Virus Control.

To add the program to the exclusions list, follow these steps:

1. Open the Bitdefender window.

2. Click the Settings button on the upper toolbar..

3. Click Antivirus on the left-side menu and then the Exclusions tab.

4. Click the Excluded Processes link. In the window that appears, you can manage the Active Virus Control process exclusions.

5. Add exclusions by following these steps:

a. Click the Add button, located at the top of the exclusions table.

b. Click Browse, find and select the application you want to be excluded and then click OK.

c.
    Keep the Allow option selected to prevent

Active Virus Control
    from blocking the application

d. Click Add.

• allexif
    edited July 2011

This issue occurs when you are trying to use a program which was working normally before installing Bitdefender.

• You could receive a message from Bitdefender that the program is trying to make a modification to the system.

This type of situation occurs when the Active Virus Control module mistakenly detects some applications as malicious.

Active Virus Control is a Bitdefender module which constantly monitors the applications running on your system and reports those with potentially malicious behavior. Since this feature is based on a heuristic system, there may be cases when legitimate applications are reported by Active Virus Control.

When this situation occurs, you can exclude the respective application from being monitored by Active Virus Control.

4. Click the Excluded Processes link. In the window that appears, you can manage the Active Virus Control process exclusions.

b. Click Browse, find and select the application you want to be excluded and then click OK.

c.

Active Virus Control

d. Click Add.

How it is possible that I have no problems running Office 2010 with BDIS 2012 and others have problems? And come on guys!!! What's with this low activity on this forum from the tehnical support? Don't u care about the good functionality of your software?

• Duradel
    edited July 2011

c.

Active Virus Control

d. Click Add.

When attempting to follow the steps above I was unable to complete step step 5b. I get a message "Please select a valid executable file" when attempting to select winword.exe (Word 2010) or any of the other Microsoft Office 2010 executable files. I will be going back to another security product for now until BitDefender makes it easier to use their product for regular users.

There is no way I could recommend this to clients of mine expecting them to be able to add exclusions to a product the majority of the business world requires when they've got a bare minimum I.T knowledge. I will re-try BD again in the future and hope that it has progressed further towards becoming more useable for both home and business consumers.

Thanks for responding to my post however Nikki :)

• Duradel
    edited July 2011

Hello again,

I calmed down a little from my previous post and I am willing to give BD another try if anyones willing to offer more suggestions. If I was able to add process exclusion's for all of the MS Office 2010 executables it would be ok but for some reason BD flags them all as being 'invalid' executable files. Is this a bug of some sort or was it just the way it was designed? If anyones got any suggestions it would be appreciated. Until then I will be using Kaspersky.

AVC_Exclusions.jpg

I was not using any other real time security protection while running BD TS 2012. The only things I can see that might be different to other users is that I am using a 64 bit OS and the 64 bit version of BD TS 2012.

• Hello @Duradel,

Could you please run the attached AVCUserId.exe executable, and post here the Id it will show to you?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you, in order to resolve this issue.

Thank you, and sorry for this inconvenience.

• Sorry, the upload system won't let me attach an executable, I'll get back with a reply as soon as I find a way to attach the file.

Hello @Duradel,

Could you please run the attached AVCUserId.exe executable, and post here the Id it will show to you?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you, in order to resolve this issue.

Thank you, and sorry for this inconvenience.

• I attached the executable with extension renamed from EXE to TXT. Please download the file, rename it to AVCUserId.exe, run it, and post here what it shows.

Thank you.

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=8094" data-fileid="8094" rel="">AVCUserId.txt

• Duradel
    edited August 2011
    I attached the executable with extension renamed from EXE to TXT. Please download the file, rename it to AVCUserId.exe, run it, and post here what it shows.

Thank you.

Hello,

This is what came up when running the executable:

0x7530F6FC249F3434

Hope it helps somehow.

• @Duradel, I sent you a PM with further instructions, I'll wait for your reply.

Thank you,

Raul TOSA

• Duradel
    edited August 2011
    @Duradel, I sent you a PM with further instructions, I'll wait for your reply.

Thank you,

Raul TOSA

I know how to follow the steps outlined but probably won't have a chance to do that until the weekend unfortunately since it seems like it would be a little time consuming.

Is it possible for a BD version to be released which allows all executables to be added rather than deciding that some aren't 'valid' executables? I don't see any point in having a process exclusion option if we can't add executable files to be excluded when it was possible in BD 2011 to do so.

• operabilus
    edited August 2011
    I know how to follow the steps outlined but probably won't have a chance to do that until the weekend unfortunately since it seems like it would be a little time consuming.

Is it possible for a BD version to be released which allows all executables to be added rather than deciding that some aren't 'valid' executables? I don't see any point in having a process exclusion option if we can't add executable files to be excluded when it was possible in BD 2011 to do so.

There might be something wrong with the executables from your Office 2010 installation. Could you please upload one of them (eg: WINWORD.EXE) here on the forum? Make a copy of it, and change its extension to TXT, as the system won't allow you to upload EXE files.

• I can confirm that BDIS 2012 make problem to Office 2010 and 2007.

In my case, Outlook not closed every time, blocked sometimes, must closed from task manager when not closed.

Problem appear only after BDIS 2012 install.

• I can confirm that BDIS 2012 make problem to Office 2010 and 2007.

In my case, Outlook not closed every time, blocked sometimes, must closed from task manager when not closed.

Problem appear only after BDIS 2012 install.

@mitza97, please download the file posted be me here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=116009

Rename it to AVCUserId.exe, run it, and post here the Id it will show you.

Thanks in advance,

Raul

• @mitza97, please download the file posted be me here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=116009

Rename it to AVCUserId.exe, run it, and post here the Id it will show you.

Thanks in advance,

Raul

Show 0xD8B15CD02D2814F6

• operabilus
    edited August 2011
    Show 0xD8B15CD02D2814F6

Did it ever crash, with the same error as the one posted by @Duradel here http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae97/Vo...dNotWorking.jpg ?

Or it hanged, without crashing?

Did BitDefender ever detected it and reported as malware?

• mitza97
    mitza97
    edited August 2011

Only hanged, not crashed with any message.

Bitdefender not reported as malware.

unledoqr.png

• Duradel
    edited August 2011
    Did it ever crashed, with the same error as the one posted by @Duradel here http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae97/Vo...dNotWorking.jpg ?

Or it hanged, without crashing?

Did BitDefender ever detected it and reported as malware?

I've scanned the entire microsoft office directory with several scanning engines and none of them have reported any malicious files. Can you please add the ability to allow executable exceptions regardless what BD thinks otherwise I'll need to keep AVC turned off most the time :(

• @Duradel, I will post here what to do if you can't add files to AVC exclusion list. I sent this information in my PM to you, but there might be other users having the same problem, and it's better to make this information public.

So, the interface doesn't allow adding files to AVC exclusion list, unless the files have the "exe" extension (with lower case). If willing to add files that have EXE extension (with capital letters), please rename the files first, changing their extension to ".exe". My colleagues are working to fix this problem and will issue an update this week.

• So in my case, I should add Outlook to AVC exclusion to work correctly ? It's odd... :blink:

• So in my case, I should add Outlook to AVC exclusion to work correctly ? It's odd... :blink:

If you keep having problems with Outlook experience while AVC is enabled, yes, I would suggest adding Outlook to exclusions, until we find the source of the problem. Our testers are trying to reproduce this issues, but Office keeps running perfectly with AVC enabled.

I will get back here as soon as we have updates regarding the problem.

Again, we're sorry for any inconvenient experience with Bitdefender 2012.

• I add Outlook to AVC exclusion and guess what ? Problem is still there...not gone. :wacko:

• I add Outlook to AVC exclusion and guess what ? Problem is still there...not gone. :wacko:

Okay, in this case, AVC is surely not the source of the problem. I will report this to my other colleagues, who maybe are not watching the forum right now.

• Ok. thanks for help, i hope will be a fix soon. Have a good day !

• I've scanned the entire microsoft office directory with several scanning engines and none of them have reported any malicious files. Can you please add the ability to allow executable exceptions regardless what BD thinks otherwise I'll need to keep AVC turned off most the time :(

@Duradel, could you please post a screenshot when one of the applications crashes, the error message with "application stopped working" is displayed, and click the "View problem details" button? It might give us a clue about what went wrong inside the application.

Thank you!

• @Duradel, could you please post a screenshot when one of the applications crashes, the error message with "application stopped working" is displayed, and click the "View problem details" button? It might give us a clue about what went wrong inside the application.

Thank you!

Hi Raul,

The changes to the MS Office filenames helped to resolve the problem adding process exlusions. Here are some screen shots of all the information in the error log:

M_Word1.jpg

M_Word2.jpg

• Hi Raul,

The changes to the MS Office filenames helped to resolve the problem adding process exlusions. Here are some screen shots of all the information in the error log:

M_Word1.jpg

M_Word2.jpg

OK, I might have a clue about what's going on.

I wonder if there's anything interesting if you scroll to the bottom of that window, it's possible that windows generated a minidump file that would be very useful to detect the error. If at the bottom of the error details is a path to a file ending in .dmp extension, you can send it to us. Otherwise, I can give you instructions on how to generate such files.

Please ignore the instructions that I sent you yesterday, regarding the logs, a minidump file works better in this case. Let's see if it's already generated, otherwise I can provide some information on how to generate them when Word crashes.

• OK, I might have a clue about what's going on.

I wonder if there's anything interesting if you scroll to the bottom of that window, it's possible that windows generated a minidump file that would be very useful to detect the error. If at the bottom of the error details is a path to a file ending in .dmp extension, you can send it to us. Otherwise, I can give you instructions on how to generate such files.

Please ignore the instructions that I sent you yesterday, regarding the logs, a minidump file works better in this case. Let's see if it's already generated, otherwise I can provide some information on how to generate them when Word crashes.

There wasn't anything more than a link to a Microsoft privacy statement at the bottom.

• OK, so if you're still available to help us solve this problem, here is some information on how to generate a DMP file for the crashing Word. We will analyse it and will get back with updates.

1. First of all, WinDBG needs to be installed. It's a debugger developed by Microsoft. You can download it from http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols..._6.11.1.404.msi

2. Open a CMD.EXE window, as Adminitrator (Run as administrator).

3. In the CMD window, run the following command (replacing the path to WinDbg if necessary - by default, this is the path where it is installed):

"c:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x64)\windbg.exe" -I

The option to windbg is capital "i", not small L.

After running, it will show a dialog, telling you whether it has been successfuly installed as default post mortem debbugger or not. Click OK, windbg will close.

4. Reproduce the problem, running Word or any other Office application, and let it crash (make sure it is not excepted from Bitdefender's interface).

5. Windbg should open. If asking to save information for workspace, click "Don't ask again..." and click Yes.

6. Windbg has a command prompt in the lower part of the window. Please type there the following command:

.dump -ma c:\Users\[YOUR_USER]\Desktop\word.dmp

You should replace [YOUR_USER] with your Windows username, or write another path instead of your user's desktop.

7. Please check whether the dmp file is created where you told Windbg to create it, and send it to us.

Please tell us whether you encounter any problems.

This operation should not take longer that 10-15 minutes.

After sending the DMP file, you can uninstall Windbg.

• PhobosMod
    edited August 2011

@Raul TOSA you are not clear with your explanation at all, i downloaded WinDBG but nothing shows, I cant find dmp file where is saved.

I had a same problem on Bitdefender T.S.2012 AVC set to Permisive only Microsoft Office Word 2007 and Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 crashes from all Microsoft Office 2007.

and I cant add WINWORD.EXE to AVC exclusions. its shows

Please select a valid executabile file

here is SS bellow:

2ab61d96.png

883b5696.png

3e1a1f3a.png

3e1a1f3a.png

e206cad7.png

7077ad7d.png

132ce458.png

abf5f901.png

• Issue solved, this is not bitdefender problem, I set AVC to Agressive and I can open Microsoft Office Word 2007 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2007. :D

Microsoft Office 2007 its in conflict @ users who have instaled KeyScrambler LoadedModule[78]=C:\Program Files (x86)\KeyScrambler\KeyScramblerIE.DLL

I turn off KeyScrambler and after Exit program, and run Microsoft Office Word 2007 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 worked w/o any problem while AVD was set to Agressive and Microsoft Office Word 2007 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 wasnt set to AVC exclusions.

• Duradel
    edited August 2011
    Issue solved, this is not bitdefender problem, I set AVC to Agressive and I can open Microsoft Office Word 2007 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2007. :D

Microsoft Office 2007 its in conflict @ users who have instaled KeyScrambler LoadedModule[78]=C:\Program Files (x86)\KeyScrambler\KeyScramblerIE.DLL

I turn off KeyScrambler and after Exit program, and run Microsoft Office Word 2007 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 worked w/o any problem while AVD was set to Agressive and Microsoft Office Word 2007 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 wasnt set to AVC exclusions.

I also have KeyScrambler installed. Didn't think that it would cause a problem like this (Can confirm that once KeyScrambler was turned off I was able to use Microsoft Office as usual). I use KeyScrambler to cover anti-keylogging which BD doesn't seem to protect users against. Guess its not such a big deal in that case and I'll continue on as I have been. Thanks for the information Phobos.

I was informed that you have to enable file extensions and turn all the upper-case characters in the Microsoft Office executables into lower-case characters for BitDefender to allow them as excluded processes (first letter in the filename is ok to leave as uppercase as I've tested).

• I also have KeyScrambler installed. Didn't think that it would cause a problem like this (Can confirm that once KeyScrambler was turned off I was able to use Microsoft Office as usual). I use KeyScrambler to cover anti-keylogging which BD doesn't seem to protect users against. Guess its not such a big deal in that case and I'll continue on as I have been. Thanks for the information Phobos.

I was informed that you have to enable file extensions and turn all the upper-case characters in the Microsoft Office executables into lower-case characters for BitDefender to allow them as excluded processes (first letter in the filename is ok to leave as uppercase as I've tested).

Thank you guys for helping us find this incompatibility. We will try KeyScrambler to find where the incompatibility is, maybe we can make a workaround for AVC to work with it, although the problem seems to be in KeyScrambler.

• Thank you guys for helping us find this incompatibility. We will try KeyScrambler to find where the incompatibility is, maybe we can make a workaround for AVC to work with it, although the problem seems to be in KeyScrambler.

Next time I'll need to be more broad minded and check for incompatibilities with other security products. I'd uninstalled MalwareBytes since it's real time protection might have crossed over into area's BD handles but thought KeyScrambler was alright since it handled different processes to BD.

Thanks for your help in trying to troubleshoot that problem.

• Having more security solutions installed at the same time will, in most cases, lead to incompatibilities like this, due to the similar technical approaches in providing the security features. Most of the time, the incompatibilities can be solved, but it needs effort from both sides, which is at least something hard to obtain, if not impossible.

I ought to ask first whether you have any other security related software installed (although there are some other kinds of software that could interfere).

I'm happy to know that our customers understand these risks and they are willing to help us troubleshoot the problems.

• Okay, in this case, AVC is surely not the source of the problem. I will report this to my other colleagues, who maybe are not watching the forum right now.

Problem is still exist...nothing new in this direction ?

• Problem is still exist...nothing new in this direction ?

Sorry dude but I allready told ya, turn off keyscrambler after exit keyscrambler, and then try to run microsoft office. ;)

Bidefender AVC did not caused this issue, keyscrambler .dll did crash winword.exe

• @Phobos M, I don't think mitza97 has the keyscrambler problem, he might not even have it installed. In his case, Outlook hangs on close, doesn't crash, even with AVC disabled.

• Hello,

Mitza97: I have created a ticket on your behalf with ID: 201108121002851.

Please follow the steps enclosed in my email and send me as a reply the results.

Looking forward to your answer!

Regards,

• @Raul TOSA ok, apologise, i thought its Duradel, not mitza97, sorry again.

But many use keyscrambler w/o serial just replace .dll and caused milion problems, like windows switching blue screen error. If mitza97 had keyscrambler let he uninstal, Bitdefender enought protection.

• @Phobos M, I don't think mitza97 has the keyscrambler problem, he might not even have it installed. In his case, Outlook hangs on close, doesn't crash, even with AVC disabled.

Yeah, you are right, i don't have keyscrambler. I reply now to DanyDan message with requested information. Thanks for help.

• Hello,

Mitza97: I have created a ticket on your behalf with ID: 201108121002851.

Please follow the steps enclosed in my email and send me as a reply the results.

Looking forward to your answer!

Regards,

Some news ? You got my email ?

Have a good day !

• up!

• Hello,

Issue resolved with the yesterday product update. For more information check the topic below.

Topic is now closed.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=117578

Best regards,

This discussion has been closed.