Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Japanese Websites Are Garbled

Options
T7coinsp
edited August 2011 in Antivirus

Hello.

I updated the version of my BitDefender Internet Security from 2011 to 2012 and found a serious problem,

rather than just performance or stability problem most of you may have felt so far.

Simply speaking, my web browsers( e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome ) do not display some websites properly containing Japanese characters called Shift-JIS, while Unicode ones appears to be ok.

Please refer following screenshot I took the situation for instance:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/V9eDd...feat=directlink

I think this likely to happen because of some kind of programs' faults since version 2012.

There wouldn't be other considerable reasons as I haven't changed my system recently.

Changing some settings likely to relate didn't affect at all. :wacko:

Maybe... does this mean I should get back to previous version?

Well, I understand BitDefender programs are optimized for English Operating system so it's hard to specify this problem,

but I wonder if this could be fixed someday. Thanks in advance.

Finally let me apologize for my poor English .

Here are main specs of my computer.

CPU: Core i7 2600K

RAM: 4GB

GPU: Radeon HD 5770

Comments

• I see you have the BD Toolbar turned ON. Try this just as a test:

Close all your browser windows.

Open BD and navigate to the Privacy Control-->Antiphishing settings window.

Turn OFF Show BitDefender Toolbar.

Close BD.

Open any browser window and test to see if the problem is still there or not.

Awaiting your reply,

• T7coinsp
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I see you have the BD Toolbar turned ON. Try this just as a test:

Close all your browser windows.

Open BD and navigate to the Privacy Control-->Antiphishing settings window.

Turn OFF Show BitDefender Toolbar.

Close BD.

Open any browser window and test to see if the problem is still there or not.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks for your quick replying!

I tried what you said and disabled all options of Privacy Control as well as antivirus feature,

but unfortunately it doesn't seem to solve it :wacko:

Booting Windows using safe-mode option, I could confirmed the problem didn't occur.

Hmm... what should I do next?

Regards,

TCD272

• I tried what you said and disabled all options of Privacy Control as well as antivirus feature,

but unfortunately it doesn't seem to solve it :wacko:

I see you are using Firefox, Am I Right?

When I tested on japanese website I also had same problem. What causes that is the Bitdefender 2012 Toolbar.

BD2012 Toolbar still appends some CSS and javascript to every page even if all options in Privacy Control are turned to OFF.

If you can go back to BD2011 I recommend you to go. For now it is only solution that works.

And does anyone in the support team have any idea when this will be fixed? Or do I have to switch from Bitdefender to something else and

give my money to someone else?

• I see you are using Firefox, Am I Right?

When I tested on japanese website I also had same problem. What causes that is the Bitdefender 2012 Toolbar.

BD2012 Toolbar still appends some CSS and javascript to every page even if all options in Privacy Control are turned to OFF.

If you can go back to BD2011 I recommend you to go. For now it is only solution that works.

And does anyone in the support team have any idea when this will be fixed? Or do I have to switch from Bitdefender to something else and

give my money to someone else?

Hello.

That's right, I mainly use Firefox but I confirmed that not only this one but also IE, Opera, Chrome make websites garbled.

I see there should be some special features to scan incoming codes can't be disabled.

To tell the another thing I also found properly-displayed websites are occasionally read so slowly or even stop reading.

I decided to uninstall faulty useless BIS2012 and went back to BIS2011 today, working fine as before.

But I still hope BIS2012 developers to fix this severe problem if possible, please!

If this can't be fixed forever I'll change it to another company's product.

• Hello,

I appreciate your concern and the time you spent reporting this issue however you haven't mentioned a single website on which the issue is occurring. Please post few websites so we can start conducting tests and find a resolution for the issue you encounter.

Looking forward to your answer!

• T7coinsp
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Hello,

I appreciate your concern and the time you spent reporting this issue however you haven't mentioned a single website on which the issue is occurring. Please post few websites so we can start conducting tests and find a resolution for the issue you encounter.

Looking forward to your answer!

Thank you very much for replying.

I apologize about not mentioning the particular websites the problem occur.

As far as I could confirm, it seems any Japanese websites that contain Shift-JIS character codes, which used to be the most popular one in Japan, will cause the problem.

Recently many websites started to use Unicode increasingly, but it's still quite a big problem. Even amazon.co.jp essential for most users was garbled.

Here are some examples I've encountered.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/

http://kakaku.com/pc/

(Actually I'm not sure of the last link but my Firefox says it's written using Shift-JIS.)

Can your computer recognize these link properly, even if it's English OS?

I think you'd probably be able to check the type of character code by seeing your browser's information somewhere.

About Firefox, it's shown by clicking main button on the top of the window, and then "character encoding".

I wish you'll be able to find the cause. Thanks in advance.

If there are some more necessary information about this, please just leave a comment then I'll write it if possible.

post-69684-1313487567_thumb.png

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello,

Now I have all the details and I was able to reproduce the issue. I have created a ticket on your behalf with ID: 201108161023908 and I will let you know via email (and by posting in the Updates forum category) when the fix will be release.

Best regards,

• Hello,

Now I have all the details and I was able to reproduce the issue. I have created a ticket on your behalf with ID: 201108161023908 and I will let you know via email (and by posting in the Updates forum category) when the fix will be release.

Best regards,

Thanks so much again!

Actually I didn't know there is ticket requesting system to report issue like this.

I hope this issue will be fixed someday :rolleyes:

• albenwat
    albenwat
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Thanks so much again!

Actually I didn't know there is ticket requesting system to report issue like this.

I hope this issue will be fixed someday :rolleyes:

I have been experiencing the same problem since upgrading BDTS2011 to 2012. It's been a long time already since the BD support team acknowledged this problem. Please HURRY. We've been waiting for your good work.

My specs:

HP z600

Win7 Ul x64 English

• BurakUeda
    edited September 2011
    Options

3 weeks and still no solution for this?

This is a huge bug for your Japanese user base. Is there any ETA for a patch?

• Hello,

Please check the topic below and let me know if the issue persist after the last update performed.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=120336

Regards,

• Hello,

Please check the topic below and let me know if the issue persist after the last update performed.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=120336

Regards,

Been using updated version of BitDefender 2012 for 3 weeks on two of my computers,

they're all working considerably well without any particular problems.

I really appreciate your great work, for everyone having involved in solving the problem,

as well as everyone who replied to this post!

I hope BitDefender will be even better in the future.

• rootkit
    Options

Hello

The current situation was solved with this update:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=120336

Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

I declare this topic closed.

Situation resolved via Automatic Updates without user intervention.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.