Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Itunes Affected By Antivirus

Options

I'm currently finding that while on-access scanning is activated and I launch iTunes, iTunes runs as though it is launching for its first time. When I close iTunes and relaunch it, it's forgotton all the changes I make.

Disabling antivirus and launching iTunes, making changes, closing and reopening the program it does remember the preferences.

I have my operating system on C: whereas iTunes, it's music and library files and folders are all on my J: drive.

While anti-virus is disabled I can link the program to operate from the library I have on J: and no matter how many times I open or close the program, or reboot the system iTunes remembers these settings.

However when I enable the antivirus it forces iTunes to create new files within the C: drive and use these, making iTunes launch as though it's just been installed each time.

Comments

• Further info on this matter,

I am running Windows 7 x64

and I have just rolled back to Bit Defender 2011 Total Security to see if the problem persists, and it does not.

• Further info on this matter,

and I have just rolled back to Bit Defender 2011 Total Security to see if the problem persists, and it does not.

same issue here.

running win7 x32

any luck trying to fix it? i tried excluding all scan folders used by itunes including music library,program files, programdat. tried using lowest security settings. issue persisted. Only way is to turn off bitdefender. stupid AV. no issue with 2011 as well.

have u tried contacting bitdefender support?

• devil666
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Further info on this matter,

hey dan. i manage to solve it!

in 2012, click settings > antivirus > select normal on-access scan > click modify > uncheck 'scan only new and changed files'.

Wala. issue solved.

i still logged a case with bitdefender support however. imagine so many itunes users affected by this. Not good for bd at all...

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello Dan,

I have noticed you have a ticket open with us where you request for refund. Is still the case or would you like to troubleshoot the issue ? Please let me know by sending me a PM and I will make the necessary arrangements.

Devil666: as you have a new ticket with us (ID: 201108131007479) I took ownership over it and we will use it to escalate the iTunes issue for resolution. Please reply with the requested log file via email.

Kind regards,

• Wala. issue solved.

Voilà. ^-^

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

Update: I've tried to reproduce the issue however the settings within iTunes are not resetting on my end. Please reproduce the exact steps you take for the issue to occur. Also provide me with the file vshield.XML from:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2012\Settings\

Upload it using an online file sharing website then post the download link.

• Hello Devil666

Thank you for sharing that you also have this problem and well done on further diagnosing it :)

Hello DanyDan

Well I am still able to troubleshoot this problem as I still have a valid BD TS 2011 Key.

In aid of you trying to reproduce this problem you could try changing the location of the library settings files if you have not already. You can do this by holding down shift while you open iTunes, this should give you a menu to either create new library settings files etc, or to select a existing file which is not in the default location (you can cut and paste the current files and folders into a new location then select the library file using the above method, which I did). If you move the location of the current file, you can also move the folders such as Album Artwork etc (apologies I cannot currently name all the files/folders as I am not at my home computer).

With BitDefenders on-access scanning switched on it is causing iTunes to forget this new location and think no files exist so creates new in the original location.

• devil666
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello Devil666

Thank you for sharing that you also have this problem and well done on further diagnosing it :)

Hello DanyDan

Well I am still able to troubleshoot this problem as I still have a valid BD TS 2011 Key.

In aid of you trying to reproduce this problem you could try changing the location of the library settings files if you have not already. You can do this by holding down shift while you open iTunes, this should give you a menu to either create new library settings files etc, or to select a existing file which is not in the default location (you can cut and paste the current files and folders into a new location then select the library file using the above method, which I did). If you move the location of the current file, you can also move the folders such as Album Artwork etc (apologies I cannot currently name all the files/folders as I am not at my home computer).

With BitDefenders on-access scanning switched on it is causing iTunes to forget this new location and think no files exist so creates new in the original location.

2 Dans here. really confusing me :P

Hi BitD support Dan. i recieved your email but i have went through the support tool when i first logged the case, that's how i got in touch with u

As for screenshot, there is no error screenshot to provide. its just itunes starting up discarding all settings u have made. And it will keep showing u tutorials and to enable Ping. (i have deleted my Ping library file i u are wondering)

Again, BitD 2011 has no issue. only 2012. I will just use the workaround i posted on top. My itunes is still working as of today. If somehow after some BitD update and the issue goes worse, i will just revert back to 2011.

• There seems to be a broader issue with Bitdefender reverting user settings: Windows Update, Folder Options, Safebox, iTunes. Is Bitdefender applying a whole bunch of user settings or Registry settings after detecting and resolving virus issues, or deleting config files or Registry keys? The reversions are very disturbing, not just for the applications concerned, but for the confidence on Bitdefender, it would be great to see this behavior fully fixed.

• Hi,

Devil: escalated to the respectful department. Got the log file and your last email sent.

Chimel: some of the settings are suppose to change whenever a certain module is enabled/disabled, being considered as F.A.D. (functions as designed). For the rest of the settings, I am currently testing it and, as soon as the tests will be done and have conclusive results, I will escalate it for resolution.

Regards,

• Update: I've tried to reproduce the issue however the settings within iTunes are not resetting on my end. Please reproduce the exact steps you take for the issue to occur. Also provide me with the file vshield.XML from:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2012\Settings\

Upload it using an online file sharing website then post the download link.

Dany, in case u still need it. sorry i dont have a file sharing acct...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<root> -<vshield version="1.1"> <profile>custom</profile> <savedprofile>permissive</savedprofile> </vshield> -<profile name="disabled"> -<files> -<scan_files> <status>0</status> -<scan_local> <status>0</status> <user_ext/> </scan_local> -<scan_network> <status>0</status> <user_ext/> </scan_network> <scan_dialers>0</scan_dialers> <scan_adware>0</scan_adware> <scan_spyware>0</scan_spyware> <scan_applications>0</scan_applications> <scan_keyloggers>0</scan_keyloggers> </scan_files> <file_size_limit>0</file_size_limit> <archive_size_limit>5120</archive_size_limit> <archive_depth_limit>2</archive_depth_limit> <smartscan>0</smartscan> <deferred_scan>1</deferred_scan> <scan_boot>0</scan_boot> <scan_archives>0</scan_archives> <scan_packed>0</scan_packed> -<action> -<infected> <first>deny</first> <second>deny</second> </infected> -<suspect> <first>deny</first> <second>deny</second> </suspect> </action> </files> </profile> -<profile name="custom"> -<files> -<scan_files> <status>1</status> -<scan_local> <status>3</status> <user_ext/> </scan_local> -<scan_network> <status>3</status> <user_ext/> </scan_network> <scan_dialers>1</scan_dialers> <scan_adware>1</scan_adware> <scan_spyware>1</scan_spyware> <scan_applications>1</scan_applications> <scan_keyloggers>1</scan_keyloggers> </scan_files> <file_size_limit>0</file_size_limit> <archive_size_limit>-1</archive_size_limit> <archive_depth_limit>2</archive_depth_limit> <smartscan>0</smartscan> <deferred_scan>1</deferred_scan> <scan_boot>1</scan_boot> <scan_archives>0</scan_archives> <scan_packed>1</scan_packed> -<action> -<infected> <first>disinfect</first> <second>move</second> </infected> -<suspect> <first>move</first> <second>deny</second> </suspect> </action> </files> </profile> -<profile name="permissive"> -<files> -<scan_files> <status>1</status> -<scan_local> <status>3</status> <user_ext/> </scan_local> -<scan_network> <status>0</status> <user_ext/> </scan_network> <scan_dialers>1</scan_dialers> <scan_adware>1</scan_adware> <scan_spyware>1</scan_spyware> <scan_applications>1</scan_applications> <scan_keyloggers>0</scan_keyloggers> </scan_files> <file_size_limit>0</file_size_limit> <archive_size_limit>-1</archive_size_limit> <archive_depth_limit>2</archive_depth_limit> <smartscan>1</smartscan> <deferred_scan>1</deferred_scan> <scan_boot>0</scan_boot> <scan_archives>0</scan_archives> <scan_packed>1</scan_packed> -<action> -<infected> <first>disinfect</first> <second>move</second> </infected> -<suspect> <first>move</first> <second>deny</second> </suspect> </action> </files> </profile> -<profile name="default"> -<files> -<scan_files> <status>1</status> -<scan_local> <status>1</status> <user_ext/> </scan_local> -<scan_network> <status>1</status> <user_ext/> </scan_network> <scan_dialers>1</scan_dialers> <scan_adware>1</scan_adware> <scan_spyware>1</scan_spyware> <scan_applications>1</scan_applications> <scan_keyloggers>1</scan_keyloggers> </scan_files> <file_size_limit>0</file_size_limit> <archive_size_limit>-1</archive_size_limit> <archive_depth_limit>2</archive_depth_limit> <smartscan>1</smartscan> <deferred_scan>1</deferred_scan> <scan_boot>1</scan_boot> <scan_archives>0</scan_archives> <scan_packed>1</scan_packed> -<action> -<infected> <first>disinfect</first> <second>move</second> </infected> -<suspect> <first>move</first> <second>deny</second> </suspect> </action> </files> </profile> -<profile name="aggressive"> -<files> -<scan_files> <status>1</status> -<scan_local> <status>1</status> <user_ext/> </scan_local> -<scan_network> <status>1</status> <user_ext/> </scan_network> <scan_dialers>1</scan_dialers> <scan_adware>1</scan_adware> <scan_spyware>1</scan_spyware> <scan_applications>1</scan_applications> <scan_keyloggers>1</scan_keyloggers> </scan_files> <file_size_limit>0</file_size_limit> <archive_size_limit>5120</archive_size_limit> <archive_depth_limit>2</archive_depth_limit> <smartscan>0</smartscan> <deferred_scan>1</deferred_scan> <scan_boot>1</scan_boot> <scan_archives>1</scan_archives> <scan_packed>1</scan_packed> -<action> -<infected> <first>disinfect</first> <second>move</second> </infected> -<suspect> <first>move</first> <second>deny</second> </suspect> </action> </files> </profile> -<profile name="ondemand"> -<files> -<scan_files> <status>1</status> -<scan_local> <status>1</status> <user_ext/> </scan_local> -<scan_network> <status>1</status> <user_ext/> </scan_network> <scan_dialers>1</scan_dialers> <scan_adware>1</scan_adware> <scan_spyware>1</scan_spyware> <scan_applications>1</scan_applications> <scan_keyloggers>1</scan_keyloggers> </scan_files> <file_size_limit>0</file_size_limit> <archive_size_limit>-1</archive_size_limit> <archive_depth_limit>0</archive_depth_limit> <smartscan>0</smartscan> <deferred_scan>1</deferred_scan> <scan_boot>0</scan_boot> <scan_archives>0</scan_archives> <scan_packed>1</scan_packed> -<action> -<infected> <first>disinfect</first> <second>deny</second> </infected> -<suspect> <first>deny</first> <second>deny</second> </suspect> </action> </files> </profile> </root>

• Hello Devil,

I'm sorry however can't use the info you posted. Please upload the file to any of the websites below - you won't need an account created and the service is 100% free.

http://www.rapidshare.com

http://www.mediafire.com

http://www.sendspace.com

When you have a download link for it please send me a PM with it including the topic link for faster and easier tracking.

Regards,

• Hello Devil,

I'm sorry however can't use the info you posted. Please upload the file to any of the websites below - you won't need an account created and the service is 100% free.

http://www.rapidshare.com

http://www.mediafire.com

http://www.sendspace.com

When you have a download link for it please send me a PM with it including the topic link for faster and easier tracking.

Regards,

here you go

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yzoi2ro5ioi54v2/vshield.xml

FYI my workaround is working so far by unchecking 'scan only new and changed files'

• Hello,

Does the issue still occur after the last product update ? Right click on the BitDefender icon and select "Update Now". Restart the PC and check to see if the issue is now resolved.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hi Dany,

I have tested:

1) disable all exclusion scanned files/folders in BD, set back to default Normal access scanning.

2) restart PC, launch itunes

3) settings still remains. I then changed some itunes settings.

4) restart pc again, launch itunes

5) settings still sticks.

Looks good!

care to share what is locking down the itunes configuration files?

Hello,

Does the issue still occur after the last product update ? Right click on the BitDefender icon and select "Update Now". Restart the PC and check to see if the issue is now resolved.

• Hi Dany,

I have tested:

1) disable all exclusion scanned files/folders in BD, set back to default Normal access scanning.

2) restart PC, launch itunes

3) settings still remains. I then changed some itunes settings.

4) restart pc again, launch itunes

5) settings still sticks.

Looks good!

care to share what is locking down the itunes configuration files?

bad news. found another issue. need to keep deleting backups in itunes(Edit > Preferences > Devices > Delete backup) before itunes manage to successfully backup on the next sync. workaround is again to uncheck the 'scan only new and changed files' option, or manually delete the existing backup before sync. Seems like bitdefender is locking up the device backup files now.

• bad news. found another issue. need to keep deleting backups in itunes(Edit > Preferences > Devices > Delete backup) before itunes manage to successfully backup on the next sync. workaround is again to uncheck the 'scan only new and changed files' option, or manually delete the existing backup before sync. Seems like bitdefender is locking up the device backup files now.

Having the same issue on the back-up

When a try to sync my ipod it always says 'can't make a backup' or something like that.

• Hi DannyDan

Since i got a simular problem i post this here

When i start iTunes, it doesnt remember my settings, everytime i start it, its like the first time i use it

-Get all the info screens pop-up (even though i said 'dont show this message again' the last time i used it)

-Equalizer is always set back to 'normal'

-It doesnt remember my apple ID

I use iTunes everyday so its pretty annoying

Could this problem be related to BD ?

Also when i want to sync my ipod, i cant make a back-up of it....

This is a bigger problem then the ones mentioned before.

Btw; Auto scan is turned off, and i download the latest update

Regards Jon

• Hi Jon,

Do you have AVC enabled? Try to add the iTunes exe file into Exclusions list as explained below and let me know if the issue persist.

Open BitDefender, go to "Settings" -> "Antivirus" tab -> "Exclusions" and click on "Excluded processes". Click on the "Add" button to add the EXE file in question so it won't be scanned/blocked by AVC. Restart the PC again to see if the issue still occur.

• Hi Jon,

Do you have AVC enabled? Try to add the iTunes exe file into Exclusions list as explained below and let me know if the issue persist.

Open BitDefender, go to "Settings" -> "Antivirus" tab -> "Exclusions" and click on "Excluded processes". Click on the "Add" button to add the EXE file in question so it won't be scanned/blocked by AVC. Restart the PC again to see if the issue still occur.

AVC is ON, on 'normal'

But i've added iTunes to the list, and so far my problem seems to be solved :D

Regards Jon

• AVC is ON, on 'normal'

Regards Jon

i have also added itunes.exe to exception list. seem to be able to perform device backup again.

any plans to fix this permanently via definition/engine update?

• AVC is ON, on 'normal'

Regards Jon

UPDATE

Even with iTunes added to the list the problem is there again...

• Any news on this? its still there for me

And i cant make a backup of my ipod either so this means i cant update my ipod to ios 5.0 :/

• rootkit
    Options

Hi

Sorry for the delayed reply.

This issue should be solved with the latest update.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=125523

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry118945

Thank you.