2012 Issues

I recently upgraded TO BD 2012 and have encountered several issues that I do not understand. (I am running XP home)

1. I continually get an error saying this PC has never been scanned, which is not true.

a. It does not seem possible to schedule a scan or chose the type of scan, has was possible in previous versions.

b. What is the point of auto pilot if you have to do manual scans?

2. There seems to be no way to choose the actions to take when an infected file is found, is this true?

3. Is it possible to go back to BD 2011 and extend it with the 2012 renewal key?

Thus far I’m very disappointed in 2012 and the emphasis on bells and whistles. BD 2011 was simple, effective and user friendly, which is what made it better than the others. I would have gladly paid a renewal without having to uninstall the old and install the new.

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hi and welcome to our forums.

Let me answer to your questions:

1. The situation has been fixed in the latest build: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry124814 but remember that you need to scan you machine after the installation(once).

a ) Scheduled Scans are no longer available. A new feature which can provide better protection has been introduced called Auto Scan. It uses a Continuous Scan task, enumerates all files and finds time slices when system resource usage falls below a certain threshold to perform recurring scans of the entire system. (e.g. if the PC is Idle for a long time, the entire system will be scanned).

b ) See the above answer (1).

2. The answer is here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=125162

3. You can always use your license on 2011. Please note that our 7 character license key is interchangeable-you can use it on 2011 or on 2012.

If you want to use Bitdefender 2011, you can install it and use the current license key.

Thank you for your feedback. Have a nice day.

• Hi and welcome to our forums.

Let me answer to your questions:

1. The situation has been fixed in the latest build: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry124814 but remember that you need to scan you machine after the installation(once).

a ) Scheduled Scans are no longer available. A new feature which can provide better protection has been introduced called Auto Scan. It uses a Continuous Scan task, enumerates all files and finds time slices when system resource usage falls below a certain threshold to perform recurring scans of the entire system. (e.g. if the PC is Idle for a long time, the entire system will be scanned).

b ) See the above answer (1).

2. The answer is here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=125162

3. You can always use your license on 2011. Please note that our 7 character license key is interchangeable-you can use it on 2011 or on 2012.

If you want to use Bitdefender 2011, you can install it and use the current license key.

Thank you for your feedback. Have a nice day.

Hi,

I dont want to do manual scan. Also, manual scan's are wrongly executed. Files scanned per second is 300-450, yet estimated time left shows 24 Hours and some minutes..... what? Unacceptable.

My system: Intel i5 Quad 3.10Ghz, 8Gb RAM, 360Gb HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.

Got rid of Norton trial as soon as BD 2012 retail was available. Now Im scared about the protection Im getting. Either fix the scan speed and re-include scheduler or just remove the manual scan option if you can guarantee 100% effectiveness of the new auto scan technology.

• Also, manual scan's are wrongly executed. Files scanned per second is 300-450, yet estimated time left shows 24 Hours and some minutes..... what? Unacceptable.

The error in estimated time left has been reported to BD tech support. The calculation appears to be incorrect. The scan will actually take less time. It appears to be a "display" only issue.

My last scan displayed the time remaining (which is constantly updated & changed) as over 1,000 hours at one point, but actually only took 1 hour, 20 minutes. :)

Regards,

• Hello MaxRockPro,

As you said manual scan speeds are very low, this could be because of Norton. It is known that Norton has serious uninstall problems*. You may be getting low scan speed because of leftover Norton's files and drivers. Please download and run Norton Removal Tool once. Hope your problem solves. Norton Removal Tool

Thank You.

• Hello

The scanning time issue has been reported by nikki605 and it has been forwarded to our Dev Team.

We can not remove the manual scanning process because in some cases (let's say once a month) is recommended to run a full system scan.

Thank you.

• #1 is still not fixed. That was one of the main reason I tried v. 2012 again, so I ran a full system scan manually a few days after installing it.

Today I received the same fateful message as back in August "The PC was scanned for virus 8 days ago."

I'll try to find the other thread where I initially reported the issue, or where I added myself to an existing discussion about it.

Either fix Autoscan so it's not totally worthless, or restore the scheduled scans so users are not forced to run scans manually because of Bitdefender design. All was working fine till v. 2011, this is a huge regression.

Also, since you recommend running a scan after installing Bitdefender, make it part of the setup process, not a recommendation found in this forum's thread.

• nikki605
    edited November 2011
    I'll try to find the other thread where I initially reported the issue, or where I added myself to an existing discussion about it.

@Chimel - I think the topic/post you are thinking of is this one, followed by this response from DanyDan where he agreed with your one point and said he would, "pass it over."

The last time I received the orange "The PC was scanned for virus 8 days ago" alert, I unchecked the fixit checkbox and selected to permanently ignore the alert. The trade-off is that this stops the orange alert every 8 days, but now the only scan running is Auto Scan. A Full System Scan has not been run on my PC in quite some time. But I accept this risk.

Regards,

• Thanks, Gary. Yeah the bug has been mentioned in many threads, but this is the one I was referring to:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28186&

It is exclusively dedicated to this manual scan bug, so I just commented on it with more details.

The other threads usually mention a bunch of issues, so they are more difficult to address or read if you are interested in just one.

I don't want to permanently ignore the alert, because I am not qualified to judge this particular risk.

I have no idea what's the difference between Autoscan and regular scans, nowhere does Bitdefender mentions it.

That's why I purchased Bitdefender, to assess the risks for me and take appropriate action.

I assume that the error message means there is a genuine threat, as it even changes the color of my Bitdefender tray icon.

So if it's not a threat but a dummy message, I expect the message to be fixed in a future product update and not appear anymore.

If there is a threat indeed, I expect Autoscan to be fixed in such a way that I don't have to run scans manually every 8 days.

• nikki605
    edited November 2011

There is no actual "threat" as in, "a virus has been detected." It is simply telling you that a Full System Scan has not been run in 8 days. Which I think is why DanyDan agreed with you that turning the BD icon in the Windows System Tray red and presenting the orange/red color on the BD dashboard when a Full System Scan had not been run for 8 days (without the ability to schedule/run one preemptively), is not logical and he was going to bring it to the attention of the devs.

Regards,

• Hi

The discussion about Auto Scan and "PC not scanned for X days" will continue in this topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28186

Tank you for your time.

Have a great weekend.

This discussion has been closed.