Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Custom Scan - One Folder Only

Options

I can't figure out how to configure a custom scan of a specific folder. Whatever settings I use the scan always covers the boot drive AND my folder. Is it possible to restrict the scan to the specified target folder?

My typical workflow is

Select scan now...custom scan

Add the target folder

Set scan options either normal or aggresive

Start the scan

Comments

• The quickest way I have found to scan all the files in a folder, is not through the BD interface. Rather, I open Windows Explorer, right-click on the folder I want to scan and in the context menu select Scan with Bitdefender. Only the files in that folder will be scanned. You can also do it this way for individual files.

post-35640-1318516622_thumb.jpg

If you want to continue doing it the way you have been, have you tried clicking on the Scan Options button?

post-35640-1318516830_thumb.jpg

In the Scan Options window (leave the slider set to Normal), click on the Custom button.

post-35640-1318516992_thumb.jpg

There, you can deselect the items you don't want to scan, along with other options.

post-35640-1318517114_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps. :)

Regards,

• Thanks for the response and all the useful tips Gary. I'd found the context menu scan but was looking into custom scans as I'd imagined that more control would be available. You pointed out the Custom Scan...Scan Options but there is nothing in there that affects the boot or system drive scan, and I have tried changing almost all of them!

My suspicion is that custom scan hasn't been finished. For example the list of recent scans is effectively unusable as the items are known only by creation date and the scan targets are completely hidden. The Favorite Scans list helpfully stores scans added to "the favorites" but someone forgot to code a method to do the adding!

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi

Thank you for your feedback.

You can add that Custom Scan to Favorites and rename it as you want in order to remember the details about it.

Also, please note that I've submitted you feature request to the appropriate department.

Have a nice day.

• Please note that you can add that Custom Scan to Favorites and rename it as you want in order to remember the details about it.

OK I've just figured out how to populate the favorites and I have to say it was not obvious at all.

To add an item to the favorites

• Point at a item in the recent scan list and a star will appear on the left side

Now click on the star and the item is added to the favorites list

To remove an item from the favorites

• Click on the star next to the item in the favorites list

Easy when you know how!

• Hi open the BitDefender interface and choose antivirus then choose custom scan and use the file chooser to scan that file or folder I'm doing it right now and I see it scans a bunch of system files maybe they are used by that which is in the folder, now I'm curious. I'll get back.

• I've found out what causes a custom scan to scan a lot more than expected and take a long time to complete.

In scan options .. custom there are several options in the miscellaneous section that should be deselected

to limit the scan to the selected path. They are listed below along with an indication of the time penalty (on my system) when selected.

Scan boot sectors     < 5 seconds
    Scan memory           ~ 1-2 minutes
    Scan registry         ~ 1-2 minutes
    Scan cookies          < 5 seconds
    Scan for rootkits     ~ 14 minutes

Scan for rootkits is particularly bad as it forces a full scan of the system drive.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi

You can read all the details about rootkits here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

As you can see from that article, rootkits are special class of malware that run from different locations, hidden in the system or MBR.

In some cases, they manage to trick the AV scanners. That's why the scan for rootkits process takes longer.

Thank you.

• matthewg1
    Options

Custom Scan - Scan Options - Custom - Scan for rootkits

If selecting this option results in either a full system drive scan, as suggested by others or as I believe, a very comprehensive targeted scan, the User needs to be informed of the significant increase in scope (and attendant time) of the scan; anything less is poor product presentation. While I suggest the Custom options menu itself should alert the User, at a minimum, the manual should provide appropriate instructions/documentation - it does not. There is no entry there regarding the Scan for Rootkits option (see Pages 44,45).

Custom Scan - Recent Scans

This feature is nearly useless as presented. If the targets/settings in the previous scans cannot be reviewed, a prudent User will avoid.

• rootkit
    Options

Hello

Thank you for your feedback.

Scan for rootkits option is looking for hidden files in the whole system. A rootkit can run from different locations and that's why our engine is all the partition for this type of malware.

You can add a custom scan to the Favorite list and give it a specific name. In this way you will remember what you have selected in the options.

Thank you.

• rootkit
    Options

Hello

Your request has been escalated to our Developers.

Let see if this will be approved by our Project Manager. I'll keep you up to date.

Thank you.