Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender 2012 Working Hard Drive To Death

Options

Greetings,

I have recently upgraded to Internet Security 2012 and am very disappointed. I am currently running the program on two different computers and am having the same issue - The main module, vsserv.exe, at startup mostly, but also at other times, is working my hard drive to the bone (most of the time at 100% usage). For example, this morning, about an hour after booting my desktop computer (Intel i7 processor, Windows 7, 8 gigs of RAM), I took a look at the task manager, in particular, the IO Bytes read from the disk drives. vsserv.exe had read somewhere in the neighbourhood of 15 gigs, while the rest of the processes running didn't even total anything near 1 gig. I had not done anything significant on the computer (I checked my email once and looked at two websites) - it was idle most of the time. It took vsserv.exe nearly two hours to "settle down" and leave the hard drive alone. During this time, the processor usage wasn't that significant, but when the hard drive is that busy, it severely impacts other processes and programs running thay may require hard drive access (which would likely be most of them). The drive thrashing would stop or at least slow down to a normal level that you would see with Windows when I would turn the antivirus scan off and would immediately go back to working hard when it was turned on.

I also have a problem when transferring files from one computer to the other (mainly from my desktop to my notebook). I connect from the notebook to the desktop via a mapped drive. The data transfer rate is extremely slow between the computers, but if I turn the firewall off on the desktop computer (leaving the notebook's setting unchanged), the transfers absolutely fly. Tech support recommended adding the ip address of the notebook to the desktop, which I did - same result.

I previously had BitDefender 2011 installed and had the same problem, but not to the level that I am experiencing with 2012.

I have followed their tech supports recommendations to perform a repair and I've even uninstalled it completely and re-installed from scratch. While BD was uninstalled, my systems flew, but things returned back to the problematic level when re-installed. I am not running any other security products at all. BitDefender has been all that this computer has seen.

This is getting frustrating.

Comments

• The first part looks like the same thing on my earlier thread.

Not nearly for as long as in your case, more like 20 minutes, and even then, it's a rare event, unusual when I'm at the computer.

I assume you have enabled Autoscan. It's supposed to run when there are enough resources available, maybe Bitdefender could shed a light on what this means exactly, and if it includes disk activity from other programs. In my case, I can even hear the hard drives go mad, which I think is because of the constant flickering of the platter heads between the sectors read by Autoscan and those read/written by other apps.

• Rick/Chimel

Yea I'm having exactly the same issues as Rick, as soon as I switch autoscan off or it eventually finishes its scan things return to normal. I presume that switching autoscan off does not affect intrusion detection etc.

Madbeevs

• Hi all

Just an update to my previous reply. As the days have gone on since I updated to 2012, things have quietened down a lot, don't know if it is due to product updates or if the installation becomes less intrusive on resources as it settles in, anyway thins are much better than when I originally posted.

Madbeevs

• My experience too. Like the Windows search engine indexer, it takes a few days to scan everything, especially for media indexing, but it settles down after a while. The only difference with Bitdefender is that from time to time, a redesign or redefinition of the signatures might require a new scan of previously scanned files, but again, it should settle down after a while. Vsserv.exe normal operating CPU percentage is 0-2% in my case, usually 0%.

• rootkit
    Options

Hello guys :)

I need some logs before we can continue this discussion.

You have all the details here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

Thank you.

• Hello guys :)

I need some logs before we can continue this discussion.

You have all the details here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

Thank you.

I have tried the Support tool and it appears not to function. 'Run as Administrator' then I arrive at the window where details are supposedly logged. The CPU runs at 70-80% but the progress bar never changes (during several minutes). MS Vista SP2, BDIS 2012.

• It takes a few minutes for the support tool to start running too, but it completes eventually.

It's too bad that it doesn't say what it does, the progress bar is not very helpful and does seem to show it's stuck at first, even if it's not.

• Just as a point of reference, it takes 9 minutes, 12 seconds for the Support Tool to run on my Win7 Pro 64-bit laptop. It takes even longer on my older WinXP Pro 32-bit desktop.

Regards,