Bdav 2012 Prevents Picasa Updates

BDAV 2012 is preventing Picasa (photo album application) from checking for updates.

I have BDAV 2012 installed on 2 machines, and BDAV 2009 on 2 others. All 4 machines are Win XP Pro SP3, with Picasa 3.8 installed. (Not using any BD network stuff) BDAV build level is 15.0.34.1437

On the 2 machines with BDAV2009, Picasa is able to check for updates with no problems, but not on the 2 with BDAV2012.

BDAV 2011 was previously on one of them, and did not have the problem either. I just now reinstalled 2011 to verify that the problem did not exist, then reinstalled 2012 and the problem returned.

With Task Manager open, I clicked on Picasa's "check for updates", and observed the process "PicasaUpdater.exe" start and immediately end, without the expected answer (a pop-up window with the answer). Doing it repeatedly gave the same result. Many times it did not show up in TM at all.

There are no events logged, either in BD or in Windows Event Viewer related to the problem, and I have tried turning stuff off in BD, as well as setting an exclusion for the process.

I have also ruled out Firewall issues by removing Zone Alarm, and leaving Windows firewall off, and also not using BD firewall.

Chris

Comments

• Hello

Please make exclusions for all Picasa's files. You have all the details here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=30243

Thank you.

• I have done all that (again). No change. Still fails.

• Welcome back.

Please right click on BitDefender icon from system tray(the "B" icon) and choose "Show". In the main window, click on "Settings". From the advanced interface, click on Antivirus module and select the Shield tab.

Please disable Active virus control and reboot your PC. Let me know if that application can check for updates now.

Thank you.

• Another thing I had also previously tried: In MSconfig/startup, unchecked BDAgent; in services, unchecked BD update server, BD update service, and BD virus shield. Then restarted windows. Noticed that vsserve.exe was still active - not able to kill it. Booted to safe mode, then BD was out of the picture & Picasa worked ok.

• Hello

Vsserv is the main core from our product. It protected against these kind of actions(stopping, moving, deleting).

Please reenable all those services, restart and disable Active virus control.

Thank you.

• Those services were previously reenabled (before I started this thread). Have now disabled Active Virus & restarted - still fails.

I should also point out that it works once in a while - maybe once in 15-20 tries. But that's been the case all along, unchanged by anything I've done. It works every time without fail, if I remove 2012 and reinstall previous version.

• Welcome back :)

I've took Picasa 3.8 from Google's website.

The software was installed on a clean virtual machine running Windows 7(without Bitdefender installed).

When I press Check for update from Help menu nothing happens.

Are you talking about this in you first post or about photos from your account?

I will test it out on XP SP3 and get back to you.

Thank you.

• chrisj
    chrisj ✭✭
    edited December 2011

Yep, that's exactly it. It has nothing to do with any photos. It's only purpose is to check for program updates.

The fact that it failed for you without having BD installed might have to do with you doing it in a virtual machine. You should get a small pop-up info window that says "This application is up-to-date". (assuming that it is). Can you test it on a "real" machine?

Also, when you test, have Task Manager open with "always on top" checked, and watch the process list for PicassaUpdater.exe. It's only there for about a second when it fails, but when it works will stay there until you close the pop-up.

• Any new news here?

• Hi :)

I will try again tomorrow to reproduce this and get back to you soon. Thank you.

• Hello,

i have the same problem, too. Clicking on the "search for updates"-Bottom in Picasa just nothing happens. No notifacation, warning or anything else.

Just nothing...

Yours

Olli

• Hello

Google released Picasa 3.9. Please manually update to this version and tell me if you still encounter this issue.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Gr...rs/Picasa.shtml

Thank you.

• Still fails with Picasa 3.9.

• Welcome back

Please right click on BitDefender icon from system tray(the "B" icon) and choose "Show". In the main window, click on "Settings". From the advanced interface, click on Privacy Control module and select the Antiphishing tab.

Please disable all the options from there and reboot your machine.

Let me know if you are able to update Picasa now.

Thank you.

• chrisj
    chrisj ✭✭
    edited December 2011

Nope, still fails (although, it did work a couple of times - 3 out of 40 tries, to be exact, but that's nothing new - see my previous comments).

And I had previously tried all of those settings.

By the way, you can test it on your machine without having any photos. But test on a "real" machine, not a virtual one.

• Hello

I've run some tests again in a virtual machine and a real one.

Windows XP SP 3 fully updated + Bitdefender Total Security 2012 with default settings and up to date. I just installed Picasa 3.8 on both machines and run an update from Help.

On both systems, Picasa is checking for updates and after that is installing 3.9.

Please tell me if you changed some settings in our product.

post-9374-1324287606_thumb.png

Thank you.

• I have not changed any settings, other than what you told me to try. Keep in mind, I'm seeing the same problem on 2 different machines. On one of them, I have now removed & reinstalled BDAV2012, with default settings, and the problem still exists.

I would like to point out a few details that you may have missed in your testing:

If you only tried it once or twice, it may have worked. However, my experience has shown that it might work once or twice, but then fail to work again. Following a reboot, it might work once or twice again, then quit working.

Without BDAV installed (or with an older version installed), I was able to "check for updates" 25 times without a failure. With BDAV2012, it failed 23 out of 25 tries. Similar results after every reboot.

• Welcome back.

Please tell me, do you have a wireless connection on those machines?

Thank you. Happy Holidays!

• No wireless.

• Welcome back.

Please right click on BitDefender icon from system tray(the "B" icon) and choose "Show". In the main window, click on "Settings". From the advanced interface, click on Privacy Control module and select the Antiphishing tab.

Please disable all the options from there and reboot your machine.

Test if now Picasa can be updated on those machines.

Merry Christmas!

• Previously tried (see Dec. 18 entries)

• Welcome back.

Please follow the steps below to check if the issue persists.

1. Open BitDefender -> Settings -> Update -> here check the box next to "Prompt me before downloading updates". When an update is performed, you will see a box from which I kindly ask you to choose ONLY Signatures Update (do not perform product updates, otherwise the solution below will be canceled).

2. Restart your computer in Safe Mode:

[How to restart in Safe Mode]

- Restart the computer (Windows Start button - Turn Off - Restart);

- Press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load;

you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select "SAFE MODE" in the text menu and press "Enter".

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation

message; click "OK" to acknowledge.

3. Go to C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2012, find the file called "bdtl.dll" and rename it to "bdtl.dl_".

4. Restart the computer normally and let me know if the issue persists.

I am looking forward to hearing from you. Merry Christmas!

• OK, with the bdtl file renamed and thus out of the picture, Picasa's "check for updates" works every time.

By displaying that file's properties, I saw that it's the "Http Traffic Scanner" (or at least part of it), so after renaming it back to normal & restarting, just as a test, I went back to settings and unchecked "Scan Http Traffic", but that had no effect.

Chris

• Hi Chis

I have escalated this issue to our developers.

In the current situation, there is a way to silently update only the definitions. This is just a temporary workaround and as soon as the update will be released, all the information will be posted here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28172

Now, please restart your machine in Safe Mode.

[How to restart in SAFE MODE]

- Restart the computer;

- Press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select "SAFE MODE"

You will have to modify a XML file to turn off product updates. This will not be overwritten during the update process.

[how to disable Bitdefender product updates]:

1. Locate the file:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2012\update_components.xml

2. Open the file with Notepad and modify the following line:

<Product enabled="1" name="00010004000500010001000600050001" type="0" id="-1">

Basically you will modify the "1" into "0" (only the first "1" from the line).

3. Save the file (overwrite the original XML file);

4. Restart the PC in normal mode.

As soon as we release the update, you will have to undo all these steps in order for the software to receive again product updates.

Now, you can set the updates to Silent and you won't receive a pop-up to update Bitdefender each hour.

Open BitDefender -> Settings -> Update -> here check the box next to Silent update.

Thank you very much for your time. Happy Holidays!

• Thanks Christian. Since Picasa doesn't need to be checked that often, I'll just let BDAV do all of its updates the normal way. I can keep track of Picasa's needs on my primary system which has BDAV2009.

Can you post back here when the problem is fixed?

Thanks,

Chris

• Hi Chris :)

I will post here when I have some fresh information for you.

Thank you very much for your time.

Happy Holidays!

• Build 1530 installed a couple of days ago appears to have fixed the problem.

• Hello :)

Thank you for your feedback.

Let me know if you need something else.

Thank you.