Bitdefender Services Stopped Twice This Week

I have been running BDAV Plus 2012 since August, with the exception of a month or two when I switched back to v. 2011, and I never experienced Bitdefender services stopping in this version.

But this week, the Bitdefender icon in the Notification Area turned gray twice, asking me to restart the computer because Bitdefender services stopped working.

The only changes on my computer that week were installing and playing some Minecraft, and evaluating Backblaze online backup service.

I wonder if other users had their Bitdefender services stop too, if it's maybe linked to a recent update.

I don't remember doing anything special that could have caused this issue, I'll try to monitor my computer more closely if it repros.

I thought I should log these 2 instances here in case someone else has the issue.

Maybe the support tool file I sent to Christian earlier today contains something that can help too.

Comments

• Hello

I couldn't find anything suspicious in the logs.

Please tell me if you still encounter the same issue with the latest product update.

Happy Holidays!

• I have been running BDAV Plus 2012 since August, with the exception of a month or two when I switched back to v. 2011, and I never experienced Bitdefender services stopping in this version.

But this week, the Bitdefender icon in the Notification Area turned gray twice, asking me to restart the computer because Bitdefender services stopped working.

The only changes on my computer that week were installing and playing some Minecraft, and evaluating Backblaze online backup service.

I wonder if other users had their Bitdefender services stop too, if it's maybe linked to a recent update.

I don't remember doing anything special that could have caused this issue, I'll try to monitor my computer more closely if it repros.

I thought I should log these 2 instances here in case someone else has the issue.

Maybe the support tool file I sent to Christian earlier today contains something that can help too.

My Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 services stop every single day on my main PC. I have to continue to restart my computer every day to try to minimize the risk of threats to my computer. At this point, I really want to know how big of a risk my computer is staying at with the "Services not responding". Until the restart, what can happen to my computer? I know this is happening to a lot of customers because the posts are everywhere in the forums... what do I need to do to fix this?

I am using Windows 7 Home 64 bit just like my other computer which does not seem to suffer from this problem and switched over from PC Tools Internet Security from both computers. This seems ridiculous.

• Until the BD support people kick in, try restarting the vsserv service (BitDefender Virus Shield) instead of rebooting the computer, it might be faster. I could solve some problems this way on my BDAV 2011, haven't had the problem on 2012 since I reported it.

You were right to restart the computer, it's completely unprotected if vsserv is not running.

You can restart the BD Virus Shield service from the Control Panel (view by: Icons), Administrative Tools, Services.

• Hello :)

@ Lucifuge

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Thank you.

@ Lucifuge

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Thank you.

I posted this and PM'd you...

Yesterday, there was some type of update that required a restart... I was hoping that might take care of this but after starting up, the icon was greyed out again within 5 minutes. I am fairly certain this is related to updates.

• I posted this and PM'd you...

Yesterday, there was some type of update that required a restart... I was hoping that might take care of this but after starting up, the icon was greyed out again within 5 minutes. I am fairly certain this is related to updates.

I am really hoping for a useful reply. Bitdefender services are not responding within 30 seconds each time I restart my computer. I just switched from a different antivirus program because of it making the response time on my computer become unacceptably wrong. I switched because of the great reviews and I am really hoping that I did not make a mistake. At this point, I am not sending the 5 free licenses to anyone I know because I do not want to bag them with a service that provides no protection because it is never functioning.

Please let me know how to resolve this problem or please tell me how to get my purchase refunded so I can select a product that is going to work.

• Until the BD support people kick in, try restarting the vsserv service (BitDefender Virus Shield) instead of rebooting the computer, it might be faster. I could solve some problems this way on my BDAV 2011, haven't had the problem on 2012 since I reported it.

You were right to restart the computer, it's completely unprotected if vsserv is not running.

You can restart the BD Virus Shield service from the Control Panel (view by: Icons), Administrative Tools, Services.

Windows 7 will not allow stopping the vsserv service at all. It says it is an illegal command for this service. Not being able to stop it means I cannot restart it.

Restarting my computer is not working because the services quit responding immediately upon Windows loading.

I really need to know if my computer is actually not protected with the service not responding. If it is, than I have to uninstall the program and get something that works until a solution is found because there is too much garbage on the internet that can destroy a computer. Christian, if it is taking a long time to evaluate the files I uploaded and linked for you in the PM, than I need to know this much immediately so I can take the appropriate actions to protect my computer.

Please respond quickly.

• In my case the services were already stopped, so I could restart them right away.

Sorry this did not work for you.

Don't be too alarmed though, Windows 7 already offers you a good level of protection against intrusions.

It's mostly if you yourself perform actions such as authorizing an elevation of privilege or opening email attachments that you are at risk.

But to be on the safe side, download and install a free security suite such as Microsoft Security Essentials to give Bitdefender time to analyze fully your logs and answer.

My main risk for instance is running tools and utilities downloaded from the Internet.

I know I am not at risk of phishing, I don't open email attachments I am not expecting, etc.

• I used the Bitdender Uninstall Tool and had to run it twice through a restart to finally get it to uninstall Bitdefender and then restarted in Safe Mode. I deleted all of the Bitdefender folders as well as the PC Tools folders that were still present and restarted again.

I re installed Bitdefender 2012 again this morning (hope re-install on the same computer doesn't count as a 3rd PC) and the services have not stopped yet all day... been at work all day but still see it as a good sign. Now I just need to see how long it lasts. If it goes for a week without stopping than I will consider the issue resolved. If it stops again, I am stumped. Kind of disappointed that there has been no response. I did notice through this time that Windows did not give me a warning about no antivirus when it was greyed out so not sure if that is a good sign that there might have been some level of protection or a bad sign that Windows doesn't recognize when the antivirus is not functioning.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The issue was indeed cause by the other security solution that was installed on that machine.

You have followed a correct solution for the current case.

Windows was giving a positive result for those times when Bitdefender was grayed out because in those moments, some services weren't loaded into memory.

Let me know if you need any further assistance on this.

Take care.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The issue was indeed cause by the other security solution that was installed on that machine.

You have followed a correct solution for the current case.

Windows was giving a positive result for those times when Bitdefender was grayed out because in those moments, some services weren't loaded into memory.

Let me know if you need any further assistance on this.

Take care.

It has taken a while longer but the services did stop responding again. There is no trace of the old security solution on this computer and it is still happening.

Further, I still would like an answer as to what risk my computer is at during the hours before I find out that the services have stopped responding. Please answer me directly by email on my account. This is unsatisfactory that the product will not remain active as it is not protecting my system and restarting the computer daily as a work around for the problem with the software is not an acceptable solution.

Again, if this cannot be resolved, than I want to find out how to obtain a full refund for the purchase as I will have to find some other antivirus service that is reliable.

Welcome back.

I have sent you an email with new instructions 2 days ago.

Also, I have answered in that email to your initial question.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care.