[resolved] Creating Exclusions: Are All Files Within Excluded Folders Omitted From Scans?

Hello;

I am getting a little frustrated with BD continuously scanning my system and using up resources (bdagent and vsserv) when I know my system is clean (I recently ran a full system scan). I would therefore like to configure BD to simply monitor my online browsing activity and any new files I create.

My question: can I configure BD to ONLY perform scans while browsing and for any new files? I am thinking of creating exclusions that include folders such as C:Program Files. If a folder is included in the exclusion list, are ALL files in that folder excluded from a scan (including .exe files)? Also, does BD respect the exclusions for as long as I choose or will it arbitrarily choose to scan excluded items if they haven’t been scanned for a while or if virus definitions are updated?

I am getting the impression that BD thinks “it knows better” and does not allow the level of flexibility some users want. I am running BD Antivirus Plus 2013.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Tonia

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Tonia, we do not recommend you to make exclusions for those folders.

In the current case, please turn off Auto Scan and set On Access scanning and Active Virus Control to permissive(click on Settings->Antivirus-> Shield tab)

I have attached some screenshots for you.

Thank you!

post-9374-1343041794_thumb.png

post-9374-1343041807_thumb.png

• Hi Christian;

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately your response does not answer my questions. I appreciate your advice that “we do not recommend you to make exclusions for those folders”, but I would still like to know if:

a) If a folder is included in the exclusion list, are ALL files in that folder excluded from a scan (including .exe files)?

B) does BD respect the exclusions for as long as I choose or will it arbitrarily choose to scan excluded items if they haven’t been scanned for a while or if virus definitions are updated.

I would very much appreciate a clear answer to these queries, as your suggestion that I lower my settings to permissive would still mean that BD would be using resources to scan files/folders that are clean. Thanks again for your help in this matter.

Regards,

Tonia

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited July 2012

Hi Tonia :)

If you set an exclusion for a folder, all subfolders and all files, no matter the extension will be excluded from the On Access scanner(the shield).

The product will keep the exclusion forever. If you reinstall the product or upgrade to a newer version, you will have to recreate those exclusions. The product will not touch that location even if a malware is located in that folder, so be careful What you set to exclusions. :)

Also, if you run a contextual scan(right click on that folder and choose to scan it with Bitdefender), all the exclusions are ignored for security reasons.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care.

• Thank you once again for your help and information, Christian. Much appreciated, especially as I am new to this product and am still trying to figure out how it works in the hopes of becoming a long-time customer.

Regards,

Tonia

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello Tonia :)

You are most welcome!

I will consider this topic resolved.

Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.