New Build 16.24.0.1682 On-access Scanner Is Broken

The recent (around November 12) update to Bitdefender Total Security 2013 ruined the on-access scanner. It's made my Windows 8 system so slow that even thumbnails take 10+ minutes to load. Tried uninstalling and re-installing BD, but that does nothing. As soon as the build 16.24.0.1682 update is applied and the system restarts, the problem returns. My only solution has been to disable the on-access scanner completely. Before this build, everything was working perfectly.

Comments

• Hi :)

Welcome to the forums.

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day.

• Hi :)

Welcome to the forums.

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day.

My ticket ID should be 201211141007494.

• Hello :)

I checked that ticket and I can see that one of my colleagues replied with further instructions.

Did you manage to follow them?

Thank you!

• I can't find a response for that particular ticket number among my emails. Is it possible they/you could re-send the message or re-post? Thanks.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012

Hello :)

My colleague Carmen sent you an email via ticket ID 201211151004448

Please check your Inbox and reply back.

Thank you!

• The recent (around November 12) update to Bitdefender Total Security 2013 ruined the on-access scanner. It's made my Windows 8 system so slow that even thumbnails take 10+ minutes to load. Tried uninstalling and re-installing BD, but that does nothing. As soon as the build 16.24.0.1682 update is applied and the system restarts, the problem returns. My only solution has been to disable the on-access scanner completely. Before this build, everything was working perfectly.

I had a similar problem on Windows 7 that started before the last build. I was able to get my PC running properly again by setting the Antivirus On-Access level to "Normal" and then restarting my system. Try it to see if that helps.

• I also have this problem on Windows 7 64bit. The symptoms I'm getting are hangs for 10-30 sec on icons, certain files like some JPEG files, context menus when right clicking these files and some applications. It only happens when I have both "Scan all file types" and "Search inside archives" enabled in my On-access scanning settings.

I believe I had the same problem before, but only for some executable files.

Hope this helps in some way. :)

Please set the On Access Scanner to Normal and put the product in Auto Pilot mode.

Reboot the system and everything should be just fine.

Take care.

Please set the On Access Scanner to Normal and put the product in Auto Pilot mode.

Take care.

Hi Christian,

I am also running windows 7 64bit and it does not make any difference, On Access Scanner is set to normal and in Auto pilot mode but you still get a delay of about 20 - 30 seconds when opening some files or sometimes a program but I can usually go all day with maybe about one to two issues arising so not a deal breaker but can be annoying, apart from this everything else works well.

Do you think this issue will be sorted on a future update?

• Hi Christian,

I am also running windows 7 64bit and it does not make any difference, On Access Scanner is set to normal and in Auto pilot mode but you still get a delay of about 20 - 30 seconds when opening some files or sometimes a program but I can usually go all day with maybe about one to two issues arising so not a deal breaker but can be annoying, apart from this everything else works well.

Do you think this issue will be sorted on a future update?

Same problem except it's also affecting windows desktop loading on win7 64 after installing bitdefender with default settings. The only way to fix the problem is exclude all system, program and user files to avoid the insane slowdowns. This only started after the recent product updates from 15 November onwards. Kind of defeats the purpose of the virus scanner if you have to exclude all the executables on the system drive. No other programs installed except the last couple of Windows updates including the new MS certificate update (stronger key enforcement or something like that from memory).

On my other system which hasn't had Windows update run since 30 August no such problem exists though it has the latest Bitdefender updates. This makes me suspect a windows update is causing the problem. I may go through the updates that are installed on the affected machine and remove the ones the other system does not have until I find the culprit after I get some sleep. There area a couple updates I have in mind which have recently changed handling of DLL and Certificate handling, but at this point I'll have to test to see which is the offender.

• themul
    edited November 2012
    Same problem except it's also affecting windows desktop loading on win7 64 after installing bitdefender with default settings. The only way to fix the problem is exclude all system, program and user files to avoid the insane slowdowns. This only started after the recent product updates from 15 November onwards. Kind of defeats the purpose of the virus scanner if you have to exclude all the executable on the system drive. No other programs installed except the last couple of Windows updates including the new MS certificate update (stronger key enforcement or something like that from memory).

On my other system which hasn't had Windows update run since 30 August no such problem exists though it has the latest Bitdefender updates. This makes me suspect a windows update is causing the problem. I may go through the updates that are installed on the affected machine and remove the ones the other system does not have until I find the culprit after I get some sleep. There area a couple updates I have in mind which have recently changed handling of DLL and Certificate handling, but at this point I'll have to test to see which is the offender.

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know, will be interesting to see if removing some of the latest windows updates will fix the issue with your main system and please let me know if you manage to find the culprit and post the update or updates you have removed.

I must admit though I don't really see much issue with windows desktop loading but then again I only really reboot my system maybe once a week, I do hope this issue can be fixed as Bitdefender runs really well otherwise.

It would be interesting to see how many other users are suffering with this issue since the latest bitdefender update but we have no real way of telling unless they post on this forum.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited December 2012

Hello :)

@ themul

I have received the logs.

Bitdefender is not correctly installed on your machine, please repair the current installation:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35489

Thank you!

Take care.

Christian:

You have been very helpful in the BD forum and I appreciate your assistance. There are several different topic titles in the General and Antivirus forums that seem to be addressing characteristic isues when the Antivirus On-Access Scanner is set to "Aggressive". I have been running BD on "Aggressive" for many years with no problems until recently, and the resolution to my set of problems is to reset the scanner back to "Normal". Personally, I like to get the most protection that I can.

Will you help all of us who have had to reset the scanner back to "Normal" by giving us some insight into the situation so we can decide how we want to proceed?

1. Are the issues that we are seeing when the Antivirus On-Access Scanner is set to "Aggressive" (white icons for long periods, slow start-ups, long windows explorer searches, long file document fetch times, etc.) something that BD personnel intend to leave as it is now with the "Aggressive" setting? or

2. Are BD personnel going to resolve those issues so we can set our Antivirus On-Access Scanner back up to "Aggressive" soon and have a normal functioning system? If yes, would you give some time frame when the fix might be released to us?

As I mentioned in several other topics, the Aggressive mode for On Access Scanner and Active Virus Control is for hostile environments, heavily infected networks, etc.

In build .24 we integrated a new engine for the On Access Scanner for better detection in archives and emails.

In the current situation, I recommend you to keep the default settings and the Auto Pilot turned on.

Take care.