"ask Every Time" Doesn't Ask

BDAV 2013 introduced "ask every time" to scan usb, cd/dvd, or network drives under AV settings/exclusions.

Nice feature, but it doesn't work. Starts scanning as soon as device is recognized. "Disable" works, but not "ask every time".

Comments

• Repair Bitdefender.

• Repair Bitdefender.

Well that's not really logical, considering that I just installed the bloody thing!!! But I did it anyway, just so I could say I did, and it did NOT fix it.

• Bumping this up due to lack of response.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2013
    Repair Bitdefender.

Well that's not really logical, considering that I just installed the bloody thing!!! But I did it anyway, just so I could say I did, and it did NOT fix it.

We have found in running the repair tool has fixed many minor glitches, and I would have suggested the same thing myself. Even though it is a new install, these things can happen ^_^

If you had a previous security solution, there could be enough leftover files, registry keys etc. that could have corrupted the install. I would consider this solution an option if you did not use the previous AV's uninstall tool, as you mentioned that you just installed Bitdefender: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=40982

• Prior to installing BDAV2013 I removed BDAV2012 using the uninstall tool, followed by running ccleaner to clean the registry. I have already 'repaired' BDAV2013 as previously suggested, but problem remains. I'll try another remove/clean/reinstall over the weekend & see what happens.

• Prior to installing BDAV2013 I removed BDAV2012 using the uninstall tool, followed by running ccleaner to clean the registry. I have already 'repaired' BDAV2013 as previously suggested, but problem remains. I'll try another remove/clean/reinstall over the weekend & see what happens.

Try the procedure here in this post according to your skill level

How To Remove Previous Antivirus Traces And Re-installation Of Bitdefender, Detailed Procedure

• Well, I removed BDAV2013 using the proper uninstall tool. Cleaned, scrubbed & scoured the registry, temp files, cache, cookies, & anything else I could think of, then reinstalled BDAV2013, tweaked the "ask Every Time" setting, but it STILL DOES NOT ASK. It just goes ahead & scans. Tried USB flash drive, CD, and mapped network drive. Same results.

• Try this, disconnect your system from internet and then try to install Bitdefender with offline installer, just ignore when it asks to check for the newest version/updates. After successful installation, you can enable the internet connection and update your product.

• Removed BDAV2013 using the uninstall tool, cleaned the registry using Ccleaner & Easycleaner, followed by manually scanning the registry & removing what those processes missed (a lot - mostly from bdav2011). Disabled the internet connection & reinstalled using the offline installer, as suggested. Same results!!

Side comments:

This installer, both offline or online versions, seems to take a lot longer than the 2012 version. Roughly an hour, on a 3g P4 cpu with 1g ram. cpu utilization in the 90s.

The uninstaller also takes excessively long, and then misses a lot of registry entries.

• coolcool1227
    coolcool1227 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013

Hmmm.....kindly share the history of your system i.e previously installed security softwares and presently install all softwares. etc.

• chrisj
    chrisj ✭✭
    edited February 2013

OK, I've just completed another test, which hopefully will answer your question.

My system: IBM Netvista 8305, P4 3.06gb cpu, 1gb ram, Windows XP Pro w/sp3. This machine has been running BDAV2012 since May 2012.

Using a spare, clean, 40g harddrive, I restored a "starter" image (image was previously created from a 'clean' install of Windows). This image contains only the basics (sp3, windows updates current at the time I built it). Drivers all current. No other security stuff, other than Windows Firewall. I then used the offline installer for BDAV2013 32bit, downloaded 2 days ago, with internet connection disabled. Used all default settings, then tweaked the "ask every time" setting. Tested with a USB flash drive and a CD. It DID NOT ASK for either device. I then let BD update itself, and tested again. Same results.

Regarding my install time complaint:

The install of BDAV2013 took 1hour & 7 minutes (with no Internet connection).

I restored the same image (hence, nothing to remove first) and Installed BDAV2012 using its offline installer, and it took 5 minutes.

Yes, I said 5 - FIVE minutes to accomplish what BDAV2013 took 1:07.

I'll be starting another topic on that issue.

• I would like to recommend to install OEM Windows XP Professional SP3, 32bits from CD and not from restoring the image or not tweaked Windows. Use the built-in Administrator Account for Bitdefender installation.

Disconnect your system from internet and then try to install Bitdefender with offline installer, just ignore when it asks to check for the newest version/updates by following this procedure

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=173564

Also check from BIOS about processor options like hyper-threading, core multiplexing etc.

• Sorry, I don't happen to have an OEM disc - I used IBM's factory recovery discs, from which I made the image). And, considering that BDAV2013 is working ok other than this one feature, I'm confident that another clean install isn't going to make any difference. It failed on the original Windows load, and now on this fresh load. There's no BIOS options available.

Unless someone else can shed some light on this problem, other than "reinstall" (done this 4 times already), I'm not gonna waste any more time on it - I got along without the feature until now anyway.

• Sorry, I don't happen to have an OEM disc - I used IBM's factory recovery discs, from which I made the image). And, considering that BDAV2013 is working ok other than this one feature, I'm confident that another clean install isn't going to make any difference. It failed on the original Windows load, and now on this fresh load. There's no BIOS options available.

Unless someone else can shed some light on this problem, other than "reinstall" (done this 4 times already), I'm not gonna waste any more time on it - I got along without the feature until now anyway.

Hmmm.....Ok, What is ur current Windows Account, Administrator (built-in) or other? Also attach the snapshot of Add/Remove Programs.

Hopefully Georgia from Technical Support will guide you in a better way by getting the logs from Supporttool.exe. We are not authorize to troubleshoot via that logs. We can troubleshoot like above only.

• I have this problem as well! It's been going on for many months. I've tried all the above suggestions and the problem still remains.

• I have this problem as well! It's been going on for many months. I've tried all the above suggestions and the problem still remains.

Nice to know it's not just me.

• chrisj
    chrisj ✭✭

Bumping this up, since it's still not fixed. I have now installed it on a completely new machine (XP-pro sp3). I find it hard to believe that only one other person has seen the problem (of if they have, are just ignoring it). I'm just leaving it set to 'disabled' for my own use, but I feel, if the feature is there, it needs to be fixed.

• I suspect that there might be some software installed on your system which conflict with Bitdefender somehow.