Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How Do I Verify If Keys Are Valid?

Options

I recently purchased 5 copies of BitDefender Internet Security 2013 (retail box, 3 PCs 2 Years) from a eBay seller. The seller stated on his auction page that the keys were never registered and I was emailed the keys to save on shipping.

How can I verify if the keys are valid? Can I be given a new set of keys to prevent the seller from reselling the keys?

Comments

• Really? You admit you know about people on ebay reselling keys and you still bought from there. Good luck with those keys working. The only way to verify is to try using them yourself as and when you need them.

As for any replacements if the keys have been resold I doubt you stand a chance there. You've admitted you know what happens on ebay. So it is entirely your responsibility.

Claims for financial losses as a result of purchases from dodgy vendors should be taken up with ebay.

Have a nice weekend ;)

• OpTicaL
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Really? You admit you know about people on ebay reselling keys and you still bought from there. Good luck with those keys working. The only way to verify is to try using them yourself as and when you need them.

As for any replacements if the keys have been resold I doubt you stand a chance there. You've admitted you know what happens on ebay. So it is entirely your responsibility.

Claims for financial losses as a result of purchases from dodgy vendors should be taken up with ebay.

Have a nice weekend ;)

I never admitted to anything. I never said there were financial losses. You just came to your own conclusions.

Since you failed to comprehend the op, let me tell you again, in plain English.

I purchased 5 boxes of brand new sealed, unopened boxes on ebay. I needed the keys right away so I asked the seller open the boxes and email me the keys so I don't have to wait for snail mail, but thinking about it again I was curious if the seller could sell those keys again. The seller has a 99.9% feedback rating and 4300+ feedback, with ZERO negatives in the past 6 months. Maybe you can explain what constitutes a "dodgy vendor"?

Let know know if I need to turn it down another notch in case you failed understand what I just said.

Good luck with life ;)

Oh wait, this forum IS your life, sorry.

• D0UG
    Options
    I purchased 5 boxes of brand new sealed, unopened boxes on ebay. I needed the keys right away so I asked the seller open the boxes and email me the keys so I don't have to wait for snail mail, but thinking about it again I was curious if the seller could sell those keys again. The seller has a 99.9% feedback rating and 4300+ feedback, with ZERO negatives in the past 6 months. Maybe you can explain what constitutes a "dodgy vendor"?

I would be very surprised if the license keys have been abused. An eBay seller did not get that kind of feedback score by ripping off people. That reputation is VERY valuable to the seller and is not going to risk it on a software license scam.

• antikythera
    edited October 2013
    Options

My message in hindsight was probably a bit strong and I obviously struck a nerve for which I apologise.

Yes the vendor could in theory sell your codes again. You have to now rely on their honesty.

Just ask yourself the following though.

How can they afford to sell on ebay so cheaply compared to all other sources? If an actual channel company they have bulk purchasing power so this is possible. If an individual highly unlikely so the following most likely apply.

Are the codes already in use? Probably which means you get blacklisted at worst or a shortened license term at best.

Are the codes sourced cheaply from another region? Probably which means regional activation measures stop it working

Are the codes Not For Retail promo copies? If so they are not legally supposed to sell them on.

Will I end up buying another set of codes when I can't use the ebay ones? Yes or using another product instead. Bitdefender or any other Company I know of aren't going to issue you with replacement codes for an ebay purchase.

How do I know this? From years of experience in IT dealing with other peoples problems after they bought from ebay and got caught out outside this forum in real life.

So that is how I know that testing a vendor's honesty in such a manner and then worrying about the outcome after the event is not wise by any means.

Additionally you don't know the Vendor. The feedback can also be faked.

If you found an honest vendor then fair enough, all credit to them.

My life by the way revolves around my family. Not this forum.

• D0UG
    Options

I bought 14 licenses of MS Office 2010 two years ago at a bankruptcy auction. A company went bankrupt and the court auctioned their assets. I sold the licenses for $50 each but still had trouble selling them because people were scared they were counterfeit. Of course they were valid and no one ever had a problem with the licenses. If I had not bought them at the auction, those licenses would have died. No one else there even bid on them. Why did I sell them so chea.p? Employees of the county government next to my county can get MS Office 2013 for less than $40 so I could not ask $100 for my 2010 versions.

This discussion has been closed.