Identity Protection

This showed up, I clicked "Activate" and it disappeared. There are no settings, nothing. What is this feature and how does it work?

Comments

• For me, all the identity theft seems to do is try to sell me the premium product. I get no indication of any protection or current status. I can see id theft protection in my.bitdender account, but it just shows what I would get if I paid for the premium product. My hope is that the included/free product is doing something and that it just doesn't tell you anything unless it determines a risk at which point I am hoping it generates an event or sends an email.

I am very disappointed in the extra features of Bitdefender total security. Wallet doesn't work for me, the identity theft doesn't appear to do anything and the registry cleaner causes programs on my computer to stop working so I can't use it either. I think Bitdefender is attempting to provide an all inclusive product, but they seem to be doing a mediocre job on the extras. Just hoping the antivirus and firewall are solid since that is the main reason I purchased. If they are as mediocre as the extras then I am in trouble...

My belief is that products should focus on what they can do very well rather than including lots of stuff that doesn't really work, but bitdefender seems to go the other way and try to include it all now even if it is not really functioning well.

This showed up, I clicked "Activate" and it disappeared. There are no settings, nothing. What is this feature and how does it work?
  • I am very disappointed in the extra features of Bitdefender total security. Wallet doesn't work for me, ...............

If you are using Chrome, open Google Chrome, then enter in the address bar chrome://plugins and tick "Bitdefender Password Manager NPAPI Plugin" - always allow.

My belief is that products should focus on what they can do very well rather than including lots of stuff that doesn't really work, but bitdefender seems to go the other way and try to include it all now even if it is not really functioning well.

The majority of other AVs are also going that way but with BD you still have a good and solid protection - check out the AV tests if you are in doubt.

• If you are using Chrome, open Google Chrome, then enter in the address bar chrome://plugins and tick "Bitdefender Password Manager NPAPI Plugin" - always allow.

The majority of other AVs are also going that way but with BD you still have a good and solid protection - check out the AV tests if you are in doubt.

This helps nothing with his topic, AV tests does checks for antivirus and malware testing, not ID Theft Protection.

I would also like to know where the reports are for ID Theft Protection as I did have a popup say I had a problem with one of my credit cards but when I try to find out more I only get an ad for buying the theft protection. I can find no reports but what is more frustrating is that there is nothing at bitdefender to help me.

• I had a very unspecific notification from BitDefender that simply said something had change on my credit report. I don't expect much from the free version, but I do expect more than being given no information at all. The only thing it would show me at all is was the enrollment page to sign up for their $15/month service.

According to the information on that page, this free service uses TransUnion for credit monitoring. TU does offer a free trial of their service, which lets you see all of the information they have on your credit report. Just to be cautious, I decided to check out the trial. There was absolutely nothing wrong according to TU's own service. There had not even been any legitimate changes made for more than a month before the alert from BitDefender happened.

I also had a year of free monitoring available from Experian, thanks to Target. Their service also showed nothing out of the ordinary.

I have no idea what BD was trying to alert me about, but it wasn't anything related to TU. If this alert from BD was legitimate, TU's report should have shown whatever the problem is. I find it very suspicious that BD is warning me about some problem that doesn't even show up when I check with the agency that BD's monitoring info is supposed to come from. It's even worse that BD offers nothing more than a page to bill me $15 for what appears to be a false/fake alert.

Is there some way to disable/opt out of this "service"? It is completely useless to me without more information than "something changed", and I'm not even going to consider paying the extra fee for something that acts this shady.