[not Really]bitdfender Hacked!

Cavehomme
edited December 2014 in General

How confident can we be about Bitdefender's security and support structures when they allow their own site to be hacked!!!! I was looking for the free downloads for which the link no longer seems to work, so I went directly to the subdomain free.bitdefender.com and hey, what's going on there, very ****** girls and malware galore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My personal view is that whilst BD have great technology their support structures are amongst the worst that I have encountered of AV companies. That suggests that their support is also not paying attention not only to its customers but to other areas such as websites, etc.

Comments

• That suggests that their support is also not paying attention not only to its customers but to other areas such as websites, etc.

I believe they are struggling to cope with the high level of support tickets 2014 and in particular 2015 products are generating. So attention to detail and overall maintenance of the site and domain seems to be suffering.

Their presence on this forum has significantly reduced. There seems to be little attention paid at all to any section other than 2015. Which is wrong in itself because 2013 and 2014 have not yet reached EOL unless they recently revised the lifecycle policy and forgot to make it public knowledge.

Another factor is there seems to be very few support personnel and all of them based in Romania. So it takes longer for an answer and due to no fault of their own there is an obvious language barrier sometimes. English was my second language growing up too. I think in Welsh and translate it to English. However even I have to be careful not to use colloquial English terms and keep everything as clear and simple to understand as possible. Even then some of the answers show lack of understanding. I wish I had the time to learn Romanian. I know some Bulgarian but that is different again.

All in all, I believe they are trying their best with the limited resources they have. You are right though it isn't confidence inspiring when their domain gets spoofed like that.

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered

with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net

for detailed information.

No match for "FREE.BITDEFENDER.COM".

>>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 09:50:41 GMT <<<

NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the

registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is

currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration

date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring

registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to

view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.

TERMS OF USE: You are not authorized to access or query our Whois

database through the use of electronic processes that are high-volume and

automated except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or

modify existing registrations; the Data in VeriSign Global Registry

Services' ("VeriSign") Whois database is provided by VeriSign for

information purposes only, and to assist persons in obtaining information

about or related to a domain name registration record. VeriSign does not

guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a Whois query, you agree to abide

by the following terms of use: You agree that you may use this Data only

for lawful purposes and that under no circumstances will you use this Data

to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass

unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail, telephone,

or facsimile; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes

that apply to VeriSign (or its computer systems). The compilation,

repackaging, dissemination or other use of this Data is expressly

prohibited without the prior written consent of VeriSign. You agree not to

use electronic processes that are automated and high-volume to access or

query the Whois database except as reasonably necessary to register

domain names or modify existing registrations. VeriSign reserves the right

to restrict your access to the Whois database in its sole discretion to ensure

operational stability. VeriSign may restrict or terminate your access to the

Whois database for failure to abide by these terms of use. VeriSign

reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and

Registrars.

The IP address 62.75.216.60:

IP Address: 62.75.216.60

IP Host: alster122.dedicatedpanel.com

Find IP Address Location for 'My IP' 62.75.216.60

Continent: Europe (EU)

State: Unknown

City: Unknown

ISP: Intergenia AG

Organization: Intergenia AG

Time zone: Europe/Berlin

IP Address Lookup related for 'My IP' 62.75.216.60

Continent Lat/Lon: 48.69083 / 9.1405

Country Lat/Lon: 51.5 / 10.5

City Lat/Lon: (51) / (9)

IP Language: German

IP Currency: Euro(€) (EUR)

IDD Code: +49

• Thank you for the report!

The mentioned address has never been used to host our free offerings, as far as I know, but there might have been a redirect there at one point.

A number of discontinued services were previously hosted on leased servers, and the subdomains were not removed later.

IPs previously associated with said servers have recently been recycled for new hosts for other companies and services.

It is that reason that inappropriate content is hosted there, and not due to a hack or other issue.

This address has been dropped and changes should be reflected everywhere within a couple of hours.

Within available time constraints, the responsible department will be trying to scrub the entire subdomains list for other problems.

As antikythera stated, 2013 and 2014 products are still supported, and I have been informed that maintenance work is still on-going, but the ticket volume makes it difficult to cover all bases at the moment.

• Cavehomme
    edited December 2014

Thanks for that, but that link then re-directs back to the BD home page, that's why I previously tried free.bitdefender.com and found the hack because I recall from 2 years ago, I think, that sub-domain was in use.

With this re-direct from the free link back to home page suggests that BD is no longer offering free products, is this correct? If true, I think it is very short-sighted. I actually have a Sphere licence at the moment but use Safepay free standalone and the free AV because I think they are superior in stability and resource-impact compared to BD 2014 suites. I have not dared to "upgrade" to 2015 products.

Until BD provide functions that more advanced users need, rather than dumbing down, I might as well use the completely dumbed down free product because it is so good! I know that will appear to be a perverse logic, but some of you may understand what I mean! :D

Can somebody please confirm or clarify what the situation is with free products and where they can be found, if still available, thanks!

• Cavehomme
    edited December 2014
    Thank you for the report!

....the ticket volume makes it difficult to cover all bases at the moment.

You're welcome.

Regarding your last point, whatever you do, please DO NOT outsource anything to India, it would be a disaster! Why don't you consider to offer some of the experienced moderators and posters on these forums some temporary or part-time paid positions to help you with your support overload? They are already knowledgeable and pro-BD, so perhaps it could be a chea.p and quick way of boosting your resources whilst you face problems? Anyway, just a suggestion / idea.

• csalgau
    csalgau ✭✭
    edited December 2014

As I understand it, some products are not available in some geographical areas, but I don't know the details on this.

Can you please check the "Home Users" section of the menu for the free offering(this shows up under toolbox/free antivirus here) and tell me if this redirects back to the homepage? If this happens, please provide your country of access so I can file a report with the proper department.

Alternatively, the link should also show up on http://www.bitdefender.com/toolbox/freeapps/desktop/

The product screenshot provided on the Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition page is

http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/...onz_product.png

The download link for this is

http://download.bitdefender.com/npd/free/A...ree_Edition.exe

I can't provide an answer for your last post. Community moderators have been granted some permissions in the past, but this was changed a few years ago, sadly.

• You're welcome.

Regarding your last point, whatever you do, please DO NOT outsource anything to India, it would be a disaster! Why don't you consider to offer some of the experienced moderators and posters on these forums some temporary or part-time paid positions to help you with your support overload? They are already knowledgeable and pro-BD, so perhaps it could be a chea.p and quick way of boosting your resources whilst you face problems? Anyway, just a suggestion / idea.

-------------------

-------------------

-------------------

I can't provide an answer for your last post. Community moderators have been granted some permissions in the past, but this was changed a few years ago, sadly.

Yes, unfortunate but true, as for many years now only Bitdefender employees can be Moderators or Tech Support on this forum, otherwise, this one (among others) IMHO, should have been one years ago ^_^http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showuser=59

I guess they want to have a bit more control, and don't trust us "inmates running the asylum" :D

• Evidently something bad happened for them to stop recruiting moderators from the user community. Shame really as it seems to work for KL okay.

• srome
    edited December 2014

Top and bottom of this support problem is CASH plain and Simple, Board/Owner wants as much as he/they can, as support staff don't

create instant revenue and are a drain on profits that area then becomes the least looked after part of the business.

Poor support has been going on for years at Bitdefender all you need to do is use Google to see that.

Why waist time having a forum if Bitdefender staff are hardly on it, it just becomes a venting space for ****** off customers which other

potential customers see and walk away, If I were Bitdefender I pull the forum until you can staff it correctly and they the staff have the power

to make things happen!

• Top and bottom of this support problem is CASH plain and Simple, Board/Owner wants as much as he/they can, as support staff don't

create instant revenue and are a drain on profits that area then becomes the least looked after part of the business.

Poor support has been going on for years at Bitdefender all you need to do is use Google to see that.

Why waist time having a forum if Bitdefender staff are hardly on it, it just becomes a venting space for ****** off customers which other

potential customers see and walk away, If I were Bitdefender I pull the forum until you can staff it correctly and they the staff have the power

to make things happen!

moderators from the user community seldom get paid for doing the job. In fact I don't know of any sites that do actually pay a wage for this task. they sometimes get the occasional free promotional t-shirt, promotional license for software, thumb drive etc. but very rarely any financial payment.

so the suggestion to recruit some was fair and valid. it may not tally with Bitdefender's policy at present for whatever reason. If you aren't happy with the level of service nobody is forcing you to stay with Bitdefender either.

Bitdefender seem to allow a good level of free speech on here which is refreshing to see. Elsewhere such p****d off customers posts about poor service would have been removed long ago.

• srome
    edited December 2014
    moderators from the user community seldom get paid for doing the job. In fact I don't know of any sites that do actually pay a wage for this task. they sometimes get the occasional free promotional t-shirt, promotional license for software, thumb drive etc. but very rarely any financial payment.

so the suggestion to recruit some was fair and valid. it may not tally with Bitdefender's policy at present for whatever reason. If you aren't happy with the level of service nobody is forcing you to stay with Bitdefender either.

on here which is refreshing to see. Elsewhere such p****d off customers posts about poor service would have been removed long ago.

I was not happy and I did leave, I'm just spreading the love! and highlighting this company for what it is! they choose to **** me about so I'd like to return the favour.

Yes I did say "Bitdefender seem to allow a good level of free speech" that was posted when I just joined, now I know why no one from Bitdefender comes on here.

• Bitdefender seem to allow a good level of free speech on here which is refreshing to see. Elsewhere such p****d off customers posts about poor service would have been removed long ago.

Agreed!

In March-2015 I decided to switch to K~y after being with BIS for about 4 years. Reason for the switch was to get a more friendly white-list structure to easilly find specific exceptions EXE files. K~Y could be sorted -- Bitdefender could not.

But disaster struck when I could not configure K~y banking feature. ( a known problem for 9 months that had never been patched

A K~y online tech support (Australia) person ripped into my installs and deleted free MAB and free SuperAntiSpyware as being the cause (BS: because free versions are passive) , without my consent. K~y banking feature was then corrupted and so were my 3 browsers and my email-client.

When I switched back to Bitdefender I got my browsers back but email has never worked since.

The urgent solution for me was to buy a new laptop.

When I attempted to voice my concern on the K~y forum my thread was removed, and in other threads Admin sanitize posts to make K~y look good.

Both experiences have taught me to not sleep around with AVs ... Bitdefender might have their problems but at least we are not sanitized out of existence for expressing our frustrations.