Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[Fixed] Bdldaemon Eat Most Cpu Process

Options

Hi,

As the title says, I don't know what happened with Bitdefender. Please take a look to the screenshot

activity_monitor.png

Is there any settings to be configured, my macbook pro is so hot right now.

Comments

• XiRw
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dont bother. Support never exists on these forums if you have a question that requires Bitdefender to do 'actual work' in order to fix things. I am still waiting for a response to why Bitdefender does idle scans when I am not idle.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

@ XiRw

Please see my response here

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=232518

@ tomgre

Please try these steps and tell me if the issue is solved:

- turn off Continuous Scan

- Open System Preferences, Spotlight, tab Privacy

- add (drag) there the Macintosh HD drive

- wait a few seconds then remove the Macintosh HD drive from list

This process will force Spotlight to reindex all files on the Macintosh HD. This will take a while, between half an hour and even 2 hours, depending on the size of your disk and how many files are written on it.

When Spotlight finishes, enable Continuous Scan and use your Mac normally.

Let us know how is everything going.

• Since weeks my Mac is very slow, if Bitdefender Autopilot is on. My iMac 2010 shows constantly around 100% CPU usage from BDLDaemon Process. The Mac gets very hot/loud from Bitdefender.

Beside this BDLDaemon writes terabytes of data to the HDD (reads 1/10 of this). I wonder why.

Why does Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac 2016 have such a big reputation for low system resource hunger?! I bought it for 3 years, because I only read good tests. I wish I hadn't.

• ct-esq
    Options

I installed Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac on two different macs, a 2012 mini and a macbook air. On the air, bit defender works fine. Scans when needed and returns to idle state. Both macs are running el captain, latest version.

On the mini, however, bitdefender is constantly scanning. Bitdefender related processes are consuming 95+% of the cpu cycles, so much so that the average operating temp of the mini has gone from 50C to 70C and higher.

I tried to reindex spotlight per the other thread here - no luck.

I tried to enter a trouble ticket but Bitdefender's ticket system requires a license key and I have a subscription. No key, no ticket - strike 1 for Bitdefender.

I send in an email to bitdefender with all the details. Bitdefender replies with an email asking for a screen shot that has all the same info. Making me do the work twice - strike 2 for Bitdefender.

Other observations:

if i reboot, bitdefender seems to work normally for 5 or 10 minutes before it starts constantly scanning.

if I toggle the autopilot on/off once or twice, it seems to work normally for 5 minutes or so before it starts constantly scanning.

if I toggle the autopilot on/off, it starts scanning during the time machine backup despite "don't scan time machine" being selected.

I have excluded a number of folders with no success.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

The macbook air and the mac mini are set up almost exactly - same os obviously, but same apps, same everything and they are used essentially identically by me in my office.

• ct-esq
    Options

I'm having the same issue.

tomgre, userx2016 and XiRW, did you ever get solutions? Have you sorted out the cpu consumption issue?

• Sorin G.
    Sorin G.
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hello,

If you select The New Bitdefender Antivirus for MAC, that being the 2016 version the key field disappears,

Uninstall Av for Mac via BitdefenderUninstaller which is located in Utilities (Command key+Shift+U while Finder is in foreground)

Afterwards restart in Safe Mode.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21875?locale=en_US

Wait for the system to load and then reboot back into Normal Mode and reinstall the product from Central

http://central.bitdefender.com

Afterwards please ensure you add the Time Machine to the exclusion list and not just the option "Don't Scan TM"

1. Click on the top menu bar icon of Bitdefender.
    2. Click on Preferences.
    3. Please choose Exclusions.
    4. In the exclusions window, click on "+" button.
    5. Navigate and choose your TM. It will ask you the password of you admin account.
    [Alternative: You can drag and drop the TM icon inside the Path tab].

6. Insert the password and the item will be added to the Exclusions list.
    7. The disk will no longer be scanned in the future.

Let us know if the issue still persists

• ct-esq
    Options

Sorin

Thanks for the information. It seems to be working so far - I'll keep you posted as I evaluate this over the next few days.

Let me expand on what I did.

1. uninstall BD.

2. reboot into safe mode

3. restart normally.

4. reinstall BD

5. Re Time Machine - I checked the box for don't scan time machine. I don't have any time machine archives locally so I did' have anything to exclude. I do have time machine running, and the Time Machine archive is on a time capsule on my wifi network. You can't add the time capsule per se, but you can add the data folder in the root of the time capsule on the wifi network.

Like I said, so far so good.

If this works, I would encourage BD to either (or both) update its instructions to specifically exclude Time Capsule volumes on the network as well as time machine.

I'll report back in a few days.

• ct-esq
    Options

Sorin

I can update you that the "fix" did not take. Notwithstanding exclusion of the Time Capsule, and notwithstanding that there are no local time machine archives on my mac mini, BD wakes on the Time Machine backup and consumes 98.9% of free CPU time.

It worked for awhile but something still isn't right.

Any more ideas?

• Sorin G.
    Options

Please try these steps and tell me if the issue is solved:

This process will force Spotlight to reindex all files on the Macintosh HD. This will take a while, between half an hour and even 2 hours, depending on the size of your disk and how many files are written on it.

When Spotlight finishes, enable Continuous Scan and use your Mac normally.

Let us know how is everything going.

Please try to follow the steps from Georgia and tell me if the issue still persists

• ct-esq
    Options

Already done, and more than once. No luck. It doesn't work alone or in combination with the fix offered by you.

After your proposed fixes, initially scanning new files is dramatically reduced. As soon as TM launches a backup, it constantly scans. Also, after one or two wakes from sleep, scanning constantly.

Keep in mind, I have a Macbook Air that is near-exactly configured with El Capitan and all the same software. Both using internal SSDs for storage as well.

• JensLau
    Options

Hi Georgia.

Your Post:

"Please try these steps and tell me if the issue is solved:

This process will force Spotlight to reindex all files on the Macintosh HD. This will take a while, between half an hour and even 2 hours, depending on the size of your disk and how many files are written on it."

That certainly worked for me, maybe it took between 1 and 2 hours, but then, after just having installed 64,34 GB Flight Sim, and after a couple of days of flying , suddenly seeing that "lagging thing" in my flight, discovered BDLDaemon was taking between 40-60% percent CPU time - which led me to my first "crash"!

Google led me here, your post sorted my Mac, now flying like a dream, and even - a bit off topic, the flight sim delevoper advised to exclude the flight sim folder from Time Machine (nearly 65GB of flight sim), thinking, what - if lightning strikes my Mac, I¨ll loose my Flight Log - no! Wiped my Time Machine, started fresh, less than 2 hours, and now less than 5 tasks running in idle, of which one is Bitdefender, and another a chosen fan controller I've installed myself for better performance (cooling)!

Thanks and happy hols.

Jens.

• Sorin G.
    Options

@JensLau Glad to hear that the situation has been resolved for you.

@Ct-esq please follow the steps bellow and provide us with the generated information so we can see what BD is trying to access.

1. Press Command + Space to open Spotlight
    2. Type in Terminal and hit enter
    3. In the terminal type sudo ls
    4. After that please type in:
    sudo /Applications/Utilities/Activity\ Monitor.app/Contents/MacOS/Activity\ Monitor &
    5. Behind the terminal window, the Activity monitor will open. Bring that window in the main focus and search for the BDLDaemon process.
    6. Select that process and press Command + I combination
    7. An information window will open. Go to Open Files and Ports tab.
    8. Select all the information inside and copy-paste it into a document.

• ct-esq
    Options

got it.

want me to email it to you?

• Sorin G.
    Options

@Ct-esq I have opened a ticket for you : 2016051612580002

You should have received a email regarding that, please reply to it with the logs and we will analyze the situation.

• ct-esq
    Options

Sorin

I've narrowed the culprit. BD was stuck scanning postbox app. Excluding the app has solved the problem.

You can close the ticket.

• Sorin G.
    Options

Glad to hear that the situation has been resolved Ct-esq.

The ticket is now closed, but I will leave this topic open.

• Hi Sorin,

I am having a similar issue. As soon as Time Machine wakes up, BDLDaemon is consumming between 40 to 97% CPU and the fan is making considerable noise.

I have version 5.0.1.23 running on OSX 10.12. TM backup is excluded in the Preferences.

Things seem to be more quiet now; but the TM backup is 10 GB though, although only few files have changed.

Could it be that the first BitDefender whole disk scan makes all files seem touched by TM ?

• Sorin G.
    Options

Hello,

Yes, the first full scan scans everything. Afterwards it creates a cache and will scan only new or modified files.

• Just uninstalled by Bitdefender. This issue keeps coming back for me. I did the reindexing, which solved it for a week. Then BOOM, the CPU usage shoots up and makes my Mac sound like an airplane.

• Having this same issue with BDLDaemon running with near 100% cpu for a few minutes at a time with nothing exotic being done at the time.  5.1.1.9 did not fix it.  No Time Machine Backups. 

• Sorin G.
    Options

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

Our devs are currently working on this issue. The fix will be delivered via automatic updated and I will update this thread.

• Thanks, if it helps, I noticed tomgre's image showing Firefox.  I'm also running Firefox when the problem occurs.

• fnc
    Options

On 11/30/2016 at 8:18 PM, Jeff said:

Having this same issue with BDLDaemon running with near 100% cpu for a few minutes at a time with nothing exotic being done at the time.  5.1.1.9 did not fix it.  No Time Machine Backups. 

This might be a shot in the dark, but are you currently using a cloud service that is constantly or continually being updated? If so, have you tried an exclusion to the destination?

I have DropBox and OneDrive both connected to multiple computers and phones, and because the files constantly change on both, BD's real-time protection rescans them by design. After excluding the specific destinations where files may be updated every couple seconds to minutes, BD Agent's utilization dropped from being very high to negligible.

• On 12/4/2016 at 1:40 PM, fnc said:

This might be a shot in the dark, but are you currently using a cloud service that is constantly or continually being updated? If so, have you tried an exclusion to the destination?

I

Thanks, fnc.  That's a great suggestion and I just mapped Dropbox (fairly static, but also been a problem in the past for other reasons) and Google Drive (very dynamic) for exclusion.

• Excluded cloud drives has not changed the behavior.  Still having multiple times per day where the Daemon eats up 99% cpu for a few minutes.

The problem is happening more often with version 5.2.0.4.  And when it is happening, I can't even sample the process.

• Okay, I have correlated the BDLDaemon issue to virus signature updates.  They appear to be happening multiple times per day (yes, I get that this is good and you are pushing out updates frequently).  Every time one kicks off, BDLDaemon chews up 99% cpu for 2-5 minutes.

In one day it has used over 28 minutes of CPU time and, even while idle, is tying up over 500mb of ram.  This is on a 2013 macbook pro with 2.7ghz i7 and 16gb ram running osx 10.11.4.

Hopefully this is helpful for your devs.  I chose bitdefender because it was supposed to be lightweight.

• Sorin G.
    Options

Hello,

Thank you for all of your hard work /index.php?/profile/206367-jeff/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="206367" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/206367-jeff/" rel="">@Jeff

The issue depicted on this thread has been resolved in the latest iteration of Bitdefender.

Please uninstall the current version and reinstall from Central to ensure a fresh install.

• hi ct-esk, did you find out how you have found out that "BD was stuck scanning postbox app" ?  thanks...

This discussion has been closed.