Bd Total Security 2015 - Slows Down Pc

vjm123
edited June 2015 in General

Hi,

I've been a long time user of Symantec./Norton products, when the time came for renewal I decided to buy the most well rated antivirus solution out there i.e. Bitdefender (based on reviews). I purchased a 3 PC 1 year copy for use on my 2 home PCs and a laptop.

However after installing the software I find:

a) The PC slows down - loading apps and running batch files takes much longer than it did when I used Norton

b ) The firewall has added a 'latency or lag to my internet.

I've followed instructions pertaining to BDTS 2014 but there's been no improvement. It definitely impacts performance which was a rather unpleasant surprise. Both of my PCs are X79 chipset machines; one with a Core i7 3930K CPU and the 2nd one with a Core i7 3970x CPU. Both machines have 32 GB RAM. Even these well specced machines slow down.

Can someone help me please? The impact on performance was so noticeable I have been forced to revert to my old Internet security solution till this thing is resolved.

Thanks,

Viv

Comments

• Lionet
    edited June 2015
    Hi,

I've been a long time user of Symantec./Norton products, when the time came for renewal I decided to buy the most well rated antivirus solution out there i.e. Bitdefender (based on reviews). I purchased a 3 PC 1 year copy for use on my 2 home PCs and a laptop.

However after installing the software I find:

a) The PC slows down - loading apps and running batch files takes much longer than it did when I used Norton

b ) The firewall has added a 'latency or lag to my internet.

I've followed instructions pertaining to BDTS 2014 but there's been no improvement. It definitely impacts performance which was a rather unpleasant surprise. Both of my PCs are X79 chipset machines; one with a Core i7 3930K CPU and the 2nd one with a Core i7 3970x CPU. Both machines have 32 GB RAM. Even these well specced machines slow down.

Can someone help me please? The impact on performance was so noticeable I have been forced to revert to my old Internet security solution till this thing is resolved.

Thanks,Viv

Hi vjm123,

Welcome on the forum!

Thanks for giving information on your systems, it could be even better to input them in your signature or your profile in order to avoid putting them again in the next posts.

You have plenty of RAM indeed, (maybe too much, I think it does not slow down the system but it does not speed it up so much)

You could find help to optimize internet browsing below.

optimize browsing speed

Bitdefender is supposed to be rather fast;

independent av-test

but probably on a brand new machine.

It means, any software could react differently to the presence of any other software.

my experience: I noticed that my systems could be quick and alert until one latest installation that bogged it down a bit (like the straw that breaks the camel's back).

Be sure you got rid off other antimalware products, such as your old Norton software.

Principles:

1 and only one firewall

1 and only one antivirus

1 extra antispyware if it does not impact the previous antimalware products.

Concerning Bitdefender, the first scans are usually slow because it needs time to analyse the system.

Concerning the lag to access to internet, I do not see where does it could come, provided that you have no other anti malware software. Try to get rid of unnecessary task bars, maybe Bitdefender takes time to analyse them much more than other anti-malware did.

Other causes:

Are you sure your system was safe before you installed BD ?

Maybe you'd better analyze it (it costs one cd-rom, but it is not too expensive nowadays)

CD rescue

My W7 with BD IS 2014 is pretty fast, my old XP SP3 indeed goes more slowly.

There's another answer there, you could try it.

boot delay

Other tips:

How to speed up windows:

speed up windows

Good analyze,

L.

• vjm123
    edited June 2015

Hello Lionet,

Thanks for the reply & suggestions. I tried adding my PC configuration to my signature but for some reason the forum does not allow me to do so.

Probably coz I am a new member? Will definitely attempt it later. I use Firefox v 38.0.5 and IE11 for browsing.

Alright, so here are my PC details:

PC # 1: Core i7 3970x, X79 Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, 32 GB RAM, 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, Asus GE Force Titan graphics card,

3 x 2 TB WD Black Drives. Running Windows 8.1 Pro x64

PC # 2: Core i7 3930K, X79 Asus Sabertooth motherboard, 32 GB RAM, 240 GB Corsair Force SSD, Asus GE Force GTX 570 DC graphics card,

3 x 1 TB WD Black Drives. Running Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15z, Core i7 3517U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 840 256 GB SSD, running Windows 8.1 x64

None of these machines could be considered 'wimps' by any stretch of the imagination. :) Yet they slow down noticeably and there's a lag whenever I use the internet (16 Mbps ADSL connection).

What I have done so far:

a) Followed instructions here: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/my-inte...-slow-1100.html

b ) Turned off BDTIS 2015 and there's a slight improvement in both response times and internet performance

c) Uninstalled BDTIS 2015, installed Kaspersky's solution (Trial) and Symantec NIS 2014 (90 days remaining in my license) all PCs perform as expected. All AV software solutions were installed

after uninstalling the previous one.

Only BDTIS 2015 results in all PCs slowing down. KIS 2015 and Norton Internet Security 2014 have no noticeable impact on these machines.

Hoping someone from BD support can help here.

Regards,

Viv

• Hello Lionet,

Thanks for the reply & suggestions. I tried adding my PC configuration to my signature but for some reason the forum does not allow me to do so.

Probably coz I am a new member? Will definitely attempt it later. I use Firefox v 38.0.5 and IE11 for browsing.

Alright, so here are my PC details:

PC # 1: Core i7 3970x, X79 Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, 32 GB RAM, 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, Asus GE Force Titan graphics card,

3 x 2 TB WD Black Drives. Running Windows 8.1 Pro x64

PC # 2: Core i7 3930K, X79 Asus Sabertooth motherboard, 32 GB RAM, 240 GB Corsair Force SSD, Asus GE Force GTX 570 DC graphics card,

3 x 1 TB WD Black Drives. Running Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15z, Core i7 3517U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 840 256 GB SSD, running Windows 8.1 x64

None of these machines could be considered 'wimps' by any stretch of the imagination. :) Yet they slow down noticeably and there's a lag whenever I use the internet (16 Mbps ADSL connection).

What I have done so far:

a) Followed instructions here: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/my-inte...-slow-1100.html

b ) Turned off BDTIS 2015 and there's a slight improvement in both response times and internet performance

c) Uninstalled BDTIS 2015, installed Kaspersky's solution (Trial) and Symantec NIS 2014 (90 days remaining in my license) all PCs perform as expected. All AV software solutions were installed

after uninstalling the previous one.

Only BDTIS 2015 results in all PCs slowing down. KIS 2015 and Norton Internet Security 2014 have no noticeable impact on these machines.

Hoping someone from BD support can help here.Regards, Viv

Hi Vjm123,

You have more powerful machines than me (whether W7 or my old XP) and I have no problem.

To say the truth, I use the 2014 version at home, but I can see the 2015 version on my dad's windows 8, it runs very fast without even an SSD!.

So I can't see where does the problem come.

Concerning the signature, you should be able to edit your profile by clicking on your own name, in the center part of the screen, you could see "my profile" and below: "edit your signature".

It does not work? I guess an admin will answer you soon concerning both issues.

besides, are you sure your memory modules are fine?

I'm not sure the software below is necessary for windows 8... I used it in the past with XP.

MemTest

Regards,

L.

• Thanks once again Lionet. You are more responsive than the BD Tech Support team. :)

I tried to update my signature but get an error:

"Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was: You are not allowed to use this part of the board"

Not sure why that happens. Either way Tech Support do have the relevant system information albeit in the form of a post not a signature.

Regarding the issues with BDTIS 2015, I am willing to wait a while till BD's tech support team choose to respond to my posts in this thread. In the meantime I've uninstalled Bitdefender and am back with NIS 2014.

Works like a charm. I hope I don't wind up regretting the purchase of a BD license.

Cheers!

Viv

Hi Vjm123,

You have more powerful machines than me (whether W7 or my old XP) and I have no problem.

To say the truth, I use the 2014 version at home, but I can see the 2015 version on my dad's windows 8, it runs very fast without even an SSD!.

So I can't see where does the problem come.

Concerning the signature, you should be able to edit your profile by clicking on your own name, in the center part of the screen, you could see "my profile" and below: "edit your signature".

It does not work? I guess an admin will answer you soon concerning both issues.

besides, are you sure your memory modules are fine?

I'm not sure the software below is necessary for windows 8... I used it in the past with XP.

MemTest

Regards,

L.

• None of these machines could be considered 'wimps' by any stretch of the imagination. :) Yet they slow down noticeably and there's a lag whenever I use the internet (16 Mbps ADSL connection).

Hi vjm123,

You could get details on process here:

check the task manager

Another idea: to check if you really got rid off other antimalware

Ccleaner

To use with caution (concerning registry), but it is useful to check if a software is deinstalled.

Or to deinstall/reinstall BD, but you did it, didn't you?

Regards,

L.

• Hi Lionet,

Tried checking the task manager. And yes, I have CCleaner Pro installed as well.

Thing is, uninstalling BD 2015 gets my PC back to "normal". NIS shall remain installed till Tech Support give me a resolution or workaround. I've wasted enough time with already with these anti-virus software experiments.

Regards,

Viv

Hi vjm123,

You could get details on process here:

check the task manager

Another idea: to check if you really got rid off other antimalware

Ccleaner

To use with caution (concerning registry), but it is useful to check if a software is deinstalled.

Or to deinstall/reinstall BD, but you did it, didn't you?

Regards,

L.

• vjm123
    edited June 2015

Bitdefender Support,

I hope to see a response. Sorry, but I cannot wait endlessly and will have take a call if I don't hear from you in the next 2-3 days. Please don't let my very 1st BD purchase disappoint me.

• BD Tech Support - I am still waiting for a response. Let me know.

• Guess nobody will bother to reply.

Well, good bye then BD. This is the first and last time I buy your products. My BD 2015 and BD Mobile security licenses have proved to be one of my less intelligent purchases.

• i do have the same problem.

videos frames in the browser are too slow, the general performance in my new laptop is just a ###### performance based on brand new laptop.

it was fast before i installed BDTS 2015.

i need a solution to this, its so annoying.

• BDTS 2015 is taking right now 479 MB of ram

• i do have the same problem.

videos frames in the browser are too slow, the general performance in my new laptop is just a ###### performance based on brand new laptop.

it was fast before i installed BDTS 2015.

i need a solution to this, its so annoying.

Hi Wael,

You write "a new laptop". Do You have enough memory? Did you deinstall any other antimalware soft? (Laptops are usually sold with lots of softwares the buyer does not necessarily needs or wants.

Besides antimalware's are loaded, that creates conflicts even if you do not use them.

Create first a rescue cd 💿 and save your personal files.

Regards,

L

Hi 🙋 Wael,

Check for this issue on the forum "memory problems". I know vsserv takes lots of memory but not so much on my older machines (W7 and even Xp!

To say the truth I have BD Is 2014 at home, and far from the family W8/Bd 2015 - with no memory issue.

I'll keep on looking for a tip. Admins will be back Monday.

Regards.

L.

Hi Wael,

There is a thread there:

memory problems

regards,

L.