How Do I Use The Bitdefender 2015 Rescue Cd?

The rescue CD seems to be broken. I can boot off the thumbdrive it created, but it presents a Unix login prompt after asking what language I want. Since there is no documentation with this software, there also isn't an account to use. This is what I did:

1. Downloaded the ISO and Stickifier from http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/latest/
  2. Ran Stickifier, copying the ISO to my thumbdrive (I:)
  3. Rebooted my PC, selecting I: as the boot device
  4. When the Bitdefender wallpaper and menu appeared, I selected "run BitDefender 2015 Rescue CD in English"
  5. The system flashed between text and wallpaper several times, then asked for a username and password

Comments

• The rescue CD seems to be broken. I can boot off the thumbdrive it created, but it presents a Unix login prompt after asking what language I want. Since there is no documentation with this software, there also isn't an account to use. This is what I did:

1. Downloaded the ISO and Stickifier from http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/latest/
    2. Ran Stickifier, copying the ISO to my thumbdrive (I:)
    3. Rebooted my PC, selecting I: as the boot device
    4. When the Bitdefender wallpaper and menu appeared, I selected "run BitDefender 2015 Rescue CD in English"
    5. The system flashed between text and wallpaper several times, then asked for a username and password

If you are using a Bitdefender product try using the Bitdefender Rescue Mode

• If you are using a Bitdefender product try using the Bitdefender Rescue Mode

Thank you, but that is not an option. Rescue Mode only works on very old computers that don't have secure boot. On a modern system, you have to use the rescue disc.

• Thank you, but that is not an option. Rescue Mode only works on very old computers that don't have secure boot. On a modern system, you have to use the rescue disc.

Hi Rassilon,

Please input information on your system in your profile and signature, it could help.

Why did you use USB flashdrive? You do not have a cd/dvd drive available on your machine?

In the past I tried twice to use a usb flashdrive & stickifier on a severely contaminated machine, but it did not work, I don't know why, (I could not even have access to the BIOS to modify the priority start )

Since then, my usual way to analyze a dirty system is the safe mode and build a rescue disc:

rescue cd using a cd-rom (not very expensive nowadays).

I did not follow your path to download the ISO file.

A tip: you'd better make your rescue cd from a clean machine.

Tip2: Could you plug off your hard disk and analyze it as an external drive on a clean machine with BD updated if you can't restart the contaminated one in safe mode? <_<

Regards,

L.

• The rescue CD seems to be broken.

Hi,

I missed to answer your first sentence. Why is it broken? Is it too old? Did you install it as an ISO file? I had no problem to download an ISO file from Bd rescue disc and put it with Nero on a cd-rom to boot the machine on safe mode to analyze it. OK it was a long process. I used the french version on an old machine with success a few weeks ago.

Regards,

L.

• My PC is clean. I was trying to build a USB rescue tool as many modern computers don't have optical drives, whereas all of them have a USB port. And as to how it's broken, that was made obvious in my first post -- the Rescue CD asks for a Unix username and password. Since none is provided with the software, it's unusable.

I'll try a CD-R and see if that goes any better. If not, you have a problem. If so, you still have a problem as the software is identical; only the media is changing.

• Lionet
    edited June 2015
    My PC is clean. I was trying to build a USB rescue tool as many modern computers don't have optical drives, whereas all of them have a USB port. And as to how it's broken, that was made obvious in my first post -- the Rescue CD asks for a Unix username and password. Since none is provided with the software, it's unusable.

I'll try a CD-R and see if that goes any better. If not, you have a problem. If so, you still have a problem as the software is identical; only the media is changing.

Hi Rassilon,

My cd-rom perfectly worked to get rid of the filthiest "gendarmerie nationale" malware on a friend's machine that was unable to let the same software having access with a USB key.

Maybe there is an issue with the USB access ?

By the way, I do not consider having a problem.

Regards,

L.

edit, I'll try now another download of the ISO file from the french side. It should be the same. and try with a USB drive.

• I have attached a screenshot of the issue. This was taken from the CD version. I get the same results with a USB key.

And you are correct. You don't have a problem; the makers of Bitdefender do. I mistakenly thought you were tech support. My apologies.

post-188127-1435415547_thumb.jpg

• Hi Rassilon,

Please input information on your system in your profile and signature, it could help.

I can't edit my profile or signature. The forums claim it's not allowed. Here are my specs:

Computer Type PC/Desktop

System Manufacturer/Model Number iBuyPower

OS Windows 8.1 64 Pro

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K

Motherboard ASRock Z97X Killer

Memory 16 Gb DDR3-2133 G.SKILL Ripjaws X

Graphics Card EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 980

Sound Card Onboard

Monitor Display 30" Dell 3007WFP

Screen Resolution 2560x1600

Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma

Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma

PSU 850 Watt - Corsair RM850

Case NZXT Phantom 410 Gaming Case

Cooling Liquid-cooled CPU, case fans

Hard Drives 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 2 TB WD Black, 2 Tb iOmega external

Internet Speed Gigabit fiberoptic

Browser Chrome

Antivirus BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2015

• I can't edit my profile or signature. The forums claim it's not allowed. Here are my specs:

Computer Type PC/Desktop

System Manufacturer/Model Number iBuyPower

OS Windows 8.1 64 Pro

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K

Motherboard ASRock Z97X Killer

Memory 16 Gb DDR3-2133 G.SKILL Ripjaws X

Graphics Card EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 980

Sound Card Onboard

Monitor Display 30" Dell 3007WFP

Screen Resolution 2560x1600

Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma

Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma

PSU 850 Watt - Corsair RM850

Case NZXT Phantom 410 Gaming Case

Cooling Liquid-cooled CPU, case fans

Hard Drives 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 2 TB WD Black, 2 Tb iOmega external

Internet Speed Gigabit fiberoptic

Browser Chrome

Antivirus BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2015

Hi Rassilon.

I have some trouble writing from my phone. I could download the debian Iso file on a USB key, following the Bd procedure and it works on my W7 machine... No password asked, safe mode direct...

Is there am issue with W8 ?

I'll tell a bit late in the evening, I'll check the procedure later.

Concerning the access to the profil, and admin could fix it. It's a bit queer you can have access to the forum and not the profile (??)

Have a nice day, I'll be back tonight.

Regards,

L

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited June 2015

I can't edit my profile or signature. The forums claim it's not allowed. Here are my specs:

New members need 20 posts before they are able to add a signature, something to do with anti-spam. :)

Ro.

• New members need 20 posts before they are able to add a signature, something to do with anti-spam.

Thank you, though a profile description isn't spam. Still, you can't expect logic from managers.

Regarding my CD problem, I just tested the disc in another computer, and it did boot, after pausing for a few seconds on the login screen. I suspect my BIOS (AMI P2.20, dated 5/15/2015) or AHCI drives are interfering somehow.

• New members need 20 posts before they are able to add a signature, something to do with anti-spam. :)

Ro.

Hi Rohugh,

thanks for the information, I'll keep it in memory and stop asking people to put information where they can't!

;)

Regarding my CD problem, I just tested the disc in another computer, and it did boot, after pausing for a few seconds on the login screen. I suspect my BIOS (AMI P2.20, dated 5/15/2015) or AHCI drives are interfering somehow.

Hi Rassilon,

sorry for my "gascon oath" this afternoon... I was unable to approach the computer in the family department B) and test a usb key on a W8 system.

Maybe your AMD is the culprit, maybe not...

Wh

• Hi Rassilon,

sorry for my "gascon oath" this afternoon... I was unable to approach the computer in the family department B) and test a usb key on a W8 system.

Maybe your AMD is the culprit, maybe not...

Could you have a direct execution from the USB drive?

Control panel ->programs -> choose the programs -> direct run (I do not know the translation for "execution automatique) you choose: not to do anything, or ask...

another possible explanation is the "resource saving" gimmick through the peripherical controller, -> root usb -> propriety... which shuts down the usb drive after a little while, but I do not think this is the explanation, you have access to your usb drive anytime, haven't you? so the issue is somewhere else...

I'll check next week on the W8 machine a bit far from home... :) somebody else will probably answer you before.

regards,

• I don't know what a "gascon oath" is, I have no AMD hardware (see the specs I posted), and I tried to boot off an internal DVD with the same results. We've already been through that.

Thank you for trying, but I've filed a support ticket on this issue. I may be out of luck, however, since the motherboard has Secure Boot installed, and that prevents any OS other than a Microsoft-approved one from loading. None of my Live CD Unix disks run either. They all get stuck at a login prompt, or loop endlessly.

• Type for username livecd and leave the password empty. After a successful login type startx to start the GUI.

I had the same login problem, tested this solution and it works. BTW, make *sure* you have a wired, functioning internet connection before proceeding -- otherwise the Rescue CD cannot update the databases.

Thanks to: https://moodjbow.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/bitdefender-rescuecd-requires-username-password/ for this answer.