Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Cannot Uninstall Bdis

Options

I have been using BD IS for a couple of years with satisfaction. I use it on my laptop which is W7 64. On my PC W7 64 I use KIS, again with perfect satisfaction.

I selected those two as a result of tests that showed the BD Safe Pay, and KIS Safe Money provided more safety when using bank sites and other financial sites. Trusteer seemed to interfere with KIS.

Since both are due to expire in a couple of months, and a 3 device is not much more than a single device, I decided to remove the BD and put KIS on the laptop for the next 50 days, and then decide which one I want to use on both machines.

However when I tried to remove BD I could not do so. I used the removal tool, Control Panel, and CCleaner. I did this several times. I cannot find BD anywhere except the icon in the Sys Tray. I cannot remove it.

When I tried to install KIS it encountered problems and would not do so.

I finally ended up installing Avira Free for a temporary measure. However, I am not aware that Avira has something like KIS Safe Money. Avira seems to be working well.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. I should mention that I went several months back and Restored the system, but that did not remove BD, and did not make it work. It has and does, when the cursor is placed over the Icon, indicate that BD is still loading.

I have been unable to reinstall BD.

Any help?

Thanks, Jerry

Comments

• Lionet
    edited July 2015
    Options
    However when I tried to remove BD I could not do so. I used the removal tool, Control Panel, and CCleaner. I did this several times. I cannot find BD anywhere except the icon in the Sys Tray. I cannot remove it.

When I tried to install KIS it encountered problems and would not do so.

Hi jerm13!

Did you use the procedure below? The uninstaller softwares should be used in safe mode.

Uninstaller failure

Before trying again to deinstall BD, try to suppress every KIS files, even if it is not fully installed (check their deinstaller soft).

I should mention that I went several months back and Restored the system, but that did not remove BD, and did not make it work.

Forget microsoft's restoration system, I usually get disappoinment with that stuff. Save place on your hard disk instead.

Another tip below, clean your system too, (it's off topic but it could help)

clean the system

Regards,

L.

• jerm13
    Options
    Hi jerm13!

Did you use the procedure below? The uninstaller softwares should be used in safe mode.

Uninstaller failure

Before trying again to deinstall BD, try to suppress every KIS files, even if it is not fully installed (check their deinstaller soft).

Forget microsoft's restoration system, I usually get disappoinment with that stuff. Save place on your hard disk instead.

Another tip below, clean your system too, (it's off topic but it could help)

clean the system

Regards,

L.

I did not try it in Safe Mode. I tried a 2011 Restore point, a point before I installed BD. I pretty well crashed, and failed to start. The current status is that Start Up Repair is attempting to fix it. It has been running in that mode for over an hour.

I think I may just destroy the HD and ditch it. I will see if the SU Repair will have any success. I don't necessarily think that BD is the culprit, but have no other idea considering when it began with BD not being able to load.

Thanks,

Jerry

• Lionet
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I did not try it in Safe Mode. I tried a 2011 Restore point, a point before I installed BD.

As i wrote before, forget the restore point.

I think I may just destroy the HD and ditch it. I will see if the SU Repair will have any success. I don't necessarily think that BD is the culprit, but have no other idea considering when it began with BD not being able to load.

This is why I think you could check the health of your system (HD, memory, and so on...) before looking for a problem about windows, BD or else software.

a problem of memory?

microsoft utilities

Do you suspect a malware indeed?

-> rescue disk

Good luck!

-_-

L.

• jerm13
    Options
    As i wrote before, forget the restore point.

This is why I think you could check the health of your system (HD, memory, and so on...) before looking for a problem about windows, BD or else software.

a problem of memory?

microsoft utilities

Do you suspect a malware indeed?

-> rescue disk

Good luck!

-_-

L.

Update.

I do not suspect malware, and scanned with MBAM and BD. I do not use it normally and since I am behind a hardware firewall with a secured WiFi I am pretty confident it is not malware. The initial problem is that BD could not load.

I finally was able to remove BD using the removal tool in Safe Mode.

However, evidently there is something left, and I went back to a 2011 restore point. Also System Repair ran for several hours and finally got the system so it would start again and run. I attempted to install KIS, but could not as ""The selected folder or drive already contains files. The application cannot be installed to a folder that contains other data, because this data can become unavailable after Self Defense is enabled."

I do not have a clue as to what that folder is.

Avira did install and is running well. I don't think I will try BD on it at this time.

The laptop is about 5 years old and I almost never use it now that I do not travel. It is not needed, but if I do need another I will get something on the order of a 12 inch or smaller.

Thanks for the help, and if anyone has a suggestion less than a complete clean and restore please do it. I do not want to go to the trouble of a complete installation, and am not sure I could do it.

Regards,

Jerry

• Lionet
    Options
    However, evidently there is something left

The laptop is about 5 years old

Hi jerm13,

Oups! I just forgot to ask you something essential.

Laptops are "brand" computers that are usually sold with lots of softwares and among them antimalwares.

Are you sure there are no other antimalwares on the system?

It could create trouble when you want to install BD (or else).

You know the motto:

One and only one firewall

one and only one antivirus...

OK, you already installed BD without trouble the first time, but you could check anyway if there is something else.

:huh:

Regards,

L.

• jerm13
    Options
    Hi jerm13,

Oups! I just forgot to ask you something essential.

Laptops are "brand" computers that are usually sold with lots of softwares and among them antimalwares.

Are you sure there are no other antimalwares on the system?

It could create trouble when you want to install BD (or else).

You know the motto:

One and only one firewall

one and only one antivirus...

OK, you already installed BD without trouble the first time, but you could check anyway if there is something else.

:huh:

Regards,

L.

Thanks, but I cannot find anything with Avira, MBAM and SAS. My system is around 5 years old.

Jerry

• jerm13
    Options

I used the Kaspersky Get System Info tool and then following their instructions straightened it out.Thanks for your help.

Regards, Jerry