Windows Update Seem To Be Affected By Antivirus 2015

Hello,

I have just reinstalled Windows 8 Pro (a clean install) and now have the settings in Windows Update changed to "Never check for updates". This happens each time the computer is restarted, even though I change the setting to "search automatically ...". When I uninstall BitDefender Antivirus 2015 Windows Update works as it should. I have reinstalled Bitdefender 2 times, but the problem persists.

Has anyone else found the same problem?

I did not have this problem with previous versions of BitDefender.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

Comments

• You are not alone in experiencing this, I have read the same on this forum. I believe there is possibly a bug in the 2015 build (vulnerability scan?) which keeps changing Windows Update settings. Please open a support ticket anyhow with Bitdefender. The more people who do this about the issue, the faster it will get fixed (hopefully).

In previous versions I found if I installed one windows update via Bitdefender I then had to use it instead of the Windows Update dialogue because that no longer functioned without being repaired. So I have since unticked that element of Vulnerability Scan when installing BDAV or BDIS. Reason being Windows checks for updates by default every 24 hours itself unless you tell it otherwise.

• LaurelValley
    LaurelValley ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

Bosse:

I noticed a similar problem and I am running Windows 7. I discovered the new "Profiles" settings turn off certain features like the Windows Update when BD thinks specific types of software are being run. You might want to look at the "Profiles" configuration settings for Games and Movies.

• I had the same problem here with 2015 and windows 8.1. Seems like bit somehow is messing up windows profile and win update can't keep settings, and when this happens the boot process take a long time too!

Really annoying problem, i couldn't fix it anyway, just removed bit and right now I'm using some free av until this gets fixed!

Gonna wait for some answer here in your thread.

• I had the same problem here with 2015 and windows 8.1. Seems like bit somehow is messing up windows profile and win update can't keep settings, and when this happens the boot process take a long time too!

Really annoying problem, i couldn't fix it anyway, just removed bit and right now I'm using some free av until this gets fixed!

Gonna wait for some answer here in your thread.

I think it is a security feature.

If you go to "Choose how Windows can install updates" and select "Download updates, but let me choose whether to install them" that will eliminate the message.

I think this is a more secure though slightly less convienent way of updating Windows.

• I think it is a security feature.

If you go to "Choose how Windows can install updates" and select "Download updates, but let me choose whether to install them" that will eliminate the message.

I think this is a more secure though slightly less convienent way of updating Windows.

Sorry, I was wrong about that, no change. It just took longer.

• Hello,

I have just reinstalled Windows 8 Pro (a clean install) and now have the settings in Windows Update changed to "Never check for updates". This happens each time the computer is restarted, even though I change the setting to "search automatically ...". When I uninstall BitDefender Antivirus 2015 Windows Update works as it should. I have reinstalled Bitdefender 2 times, but the problem persists.

What I have found is that in autopilot mode, it ALWAYS chooses the Game Profile which turns off automatic updates.

I have been a long time bitdefender user, but the last couple of years, this product has really started to go down hill.

Crowley

• I don't think there is anything wrong with your windows settings, the new bitdefender internet security 2015 includes profiles namely-work profile, movie profile and gaming profile. Every profile maintains its properties and tasks when activated, just go to Bitdefender Internet Security 2015>Tools>Profiles>there you'll see three profiles! each profile is pre-configured for optimization and in your specific case of windows updates, uncheck the "postpone windows automatic updates" box for each profile and you are good to go :) no more problem with windows automatic updates anymore!

Hope this helps.

• Since the instalation of bitdefender internet security 2015 every time I get a message that windows update is switched off.

This is clearly an error in IS2015.

must also each time, several times a day switching windows update.

very annoying.

• Since the instalation of bitdefender internet security 2015 every time I get a message that windows update is switched off.

This is clearly an error in IS2015.

must also each time, several times a day switching windows update.

very annoying.

Just switch off the profiles and the problem will be fixed. Its an annoying feature they have put in this version.

• Hi. Go to tools - Profiles, go to each one and make sure that "postpone windows updates" isn't ticked. 1.gif

• Hi. Go to tools - Profiles, go to each one and make sure that "postpone windows updates" isn't ticked. 1.gif

I checked and had two of my three profiles with "postpone windows updates" checked. I unchecked them and it so far so good. Thanks for the tip. :)

• Autopilot off > Profile Standard

Don't used game profile

• I checked and had two of my three profiles with "postpone windows updates" checked. I unchecked them and it so far so good. Thanks for the tip. :)
  • I checked and had two of my three profiles with "postpone windows updates" checked. I unchecked them and it so far so good. Thanks for the tip. :)

Thanks Nesivos, this fixed it for me too. Was very annoying

• I had Internet Security 2015 installed and often found that my Windows automatic updates had been turned off. Then Recently (July 2015) after manually trying to install windows updates, the updates (77 of them!) would not install. Went to Bitdefender profile settings, and in none of the profiles was windows updates turned off. So I upgraded to Total Security 2015 and now my Updates are working fine. So it seems that it must have had something to do with Internet Security 2015..

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited July 2015
    I had Internet Security 2015 installed and often found that my Windows automatic updates had been turned off. Then Recently (July 2015) after manually trying to install windows updates, the updates (77 of them!) would not install. Went to Bitdefender profile settings, and in none of the profiles was windows updates turned off. So I upgraded to Total Security 2015 and now my Updates are working fine. So it seems that it must have had something to do with Internet Security 2015..

Since I changed the settings unders Profiles I have never had a problem with Windows updates using BDIS 2015.

• Since I changed the settings unders Profiles I have never had a problem with Windows updates using BDIS 2015.

Doesnt work for me. I have just installed total Security 2015 and it borks windows updates. Windows detects the up dates but will not download and install.

Profiles are correct, adaptor settings are correct etc. I even tried it on an old PC, checked updates, only selected 1 of the 2, they install them without issue. I put Bitdefender TS on and Windows update no longer works. So very frustrating!

Love to know how to fix this.

To add, even when I uninstall Bitdefender the Windows update will no longer work. It apparently damages updates somehow.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

Hello Steve J and welcome to the forum,

I use BD TS and have no problem with Windows updates. I don't use profiles, they are disabled under GUI>Tools>Profiles>uncheck "Let Autopilot manage my Profiles".

If you continue to have problems please contact Bitdefender Help & Support - GUI>Top Bar Dropdown> Help & Support>Contact Support.

Ro.

• Hello Steve J and welcome to the forum,

I use BD TS and have no problem with Windows updates. I don't use profiles, they are disabled under GUI>Tools>Profiles>uncheck "Let Autopilot manage my Profiles".

If you continue to have problems please contact Bitdefender Help & Support - GUI>Top Bar Dropdown> Help & Support>Contact Support.

Ro.

Yep profiles are disabled. I have contacted support, no answer as yet. Not happy!

How the flap does one get the upgrade to win 10 if WU does not work? Wait for an iso? What a mess seriously.

It seems to be a Win 7 problem, from what I can see.

• Hello,

I have the same problem.

My computer OS is windows 7 64bit, and I am using bitdefender internet security.

After installing bitdefender, I cannot perform windows update... It always fails.

• I have exactly the same issue. I have windows 8.1 Pro running (COE version) and after installing Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 Windows update did not work anymore. It did find the windows updates but it would not download.

Also after removing Bitdefender the updates would not download anymore. I had lengthy conversations with windows support, who tried everything to get the updates active again but no such luck. I also had to do a clean install to get them working again, and since my system recovery disks are for windows 8 pro, I had to install that again and after upgrade to 8.1 pro. A lengthy procedure!

In my case it seemed that the BITS (background intelligent transfer service) service that windows uses for updates was broken somehow and was not able to start up again. Not even after going into the registry and making the modifications there.

So for the moment I am using a workaround, with freeware, until this issue is fixed. But I am not holding my breath. Very very dissapointed.

• I have exactly the same issue. I have windows 8.1 Pro running (COE version) and after installing Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 Windows update did not work anymore. It did find the windows updates but it would not download.

Also after removing Bitdefender the updates would not download anymore. I had lengthy conversations with windows support, who tried everything to get the updates active again but no such luck. I also had to do a clean install to get them working again, and since my system recovery disks are for windows 8 pro, I had to install that again and after upgrade to 8.1 pro. A lengthy procedure!

In my case it seemed that the BITS (background intelligent transfer service) service that windows uses for updates was broken somehow and was not able to start up again. Not even after going into the registry and making the modifications there.

So for the moment I am using a workaround, with freeware, until this issue is fixed. But I am not holding my breath. Very very dissapointed.

Hi Katy_C,

Welcome on the forum!

Did you get in touch with Bd support?

BD support

:huh:

Regards,

L.

• Same issue here, I did a fresh install of Win 7 Professional, after that installed BD Antivirus Plus 2015. I saw that windows sent a message that upgrades were ready to install (all downloaded), so rebooted the computer, it started the install process, for around 190 updates, then rebooted, after reboot it wants to configure the updates but it says that they failed and need to rollback, it takes a loooong time... then I rebooted the computer again and same happened... I revised the profiles and all of them don't have checked the option of Windows Updates... not sure what to do...

• Windows 7. Never ever had a problem with either of my computers and now both will not update because of this untested, amateur antivirus, Bitdefender Total Security 2015.

Junk.

I'm trying to restore and that will not even work because of Bitdefender. I have never come across such invasive and defective software, and I was writing games on Tandy computers in 1985.

Junk.

• Pathetic customer service.

First response was to delete Windows Live Family Safety. That's not on my computer.

Second response was to uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender, like that is going to help Windows Update.

I uninstalled Bitdefender and Windows Update is still ruined. Restored to earlier date. Ruined.

So basically Birdefender just ruined two computers that were running perfectly for years.

I'm now backing up both computers, wiping them and starting over.

I will spend the entire weekend fixing these computers because of this trash software.

Thanks Bitdefender!

• So after burning hours and hours, and not getting any decent help from Bitdefender, I figured out how to fix my problem.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

3. If the registry subkey exists, go to step 4. If the registry subkey does not exist, create the registry subkey. To do this, follow these steps:

Right-click Backup Restore, point to New, and then click Key.

Type FilesNotToBackup, and then press ENTER.

4. Quit Registry Editor.

5. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

6. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

7. In the General tab, click Start.

8. If this does not work, and you do have the "FilesToNotBackup" key, then delete it and recreate the "FilesToNotBackup" key by right-clicking on "BackupRestore" and selecting "Key". Name the key "FilesToNotBackup" and press Enter.

I had to do the #8 step.

Good luck. Bitdefender support is awful. Worst I've seen, ever. I'm now back to Norton's so that I can get work done.

• The Bitdefender customer support representative I spoke with most recently knows about the problem and said they are working on an update to BD that will correct it. I hope they are successful and it comes soon!

My story: I installed BD Total Security on my sister's Windows 7 computer on July 18. A the end of July I installed it on my computer running Windows 8.1. I just noticed yesterday that updates had been failing since Bitdefender installation. Hours of searching the internet and the computers finally turned up this thread. Thank you all! Today, I called customer support several times and ran the Bitdefender Support Tool to send my info to them.

I did not try Robotaz' registry editing, since I'm pretty sure there is [also?] a problem with a different registry item: KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters\REG_SZ. REG_SZ is (value not set) and I don't have the skill to set it appropriately.

• Update now works!

Bitdefender techsupport sent me an email with a possible solution. I was to:

1) run Microsoft's System File Checker on using the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

2) reboot

3) try update again.

This did NOT fix update problem, but either Update gave me a different error message today or I was confused yesterday going between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computers.

In any case, I eventually got to MS page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910337 which included (more or less) Robotaz' solution. It worked the first time (without the last step) and on both computers!