Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Cannot Install Bitdefender 2016 After Uninstalling Eset Smart Security

Options
VSBit
edited September 2015 in Install & activation

Hello.

I have successfully installed Bitdefender Family 2016 on four Windows 10 machines and three Android devices, but I cannot seem to get Bitdefender to install on my desktop.

I had Eset Smart Security installations on all of my Windows 10 devices and uninstalled all of them. However, after uninstalling Eset from my desktop, and after using their manual removal tool and the other methods they described, I still cannot install Bitdefender. Their manual tool no longer lists any installed AV products and I cannot find any references to Eset, etc., or any drivers on my computer that Eset suggests to uninstall. My desktop seems clean, but I get the error message:

"Bitdefender cannot automatically uninstall Eset. We recommend that you manually uninstall this program and run Bitdefender installation again."

What can I do? Are there any specific registry keys that are perhaps left over? CCleaner got some of them, but perhaps not all.

Thanks.

Comments

• ThisIsJustMe
    edited September 2015
    Options

Try using this IOBIT Uninstaller If is doesn't show the programme, reinstall it and then uninstall it using IOBIT, and let it do a deep scan, check and delete all entries it lists, that removes everything.

• superssjdan
    edited September 2015
    Options

Did you run the eset manual uninstall tool in safe mode?It always has worked for me

• Did you run the eset manual uninstall tool in safe mode?It always has worked for me

Yes, as I indicated above. I ran it twice in safe mode, and the second time it shows no AV products. I also tried searching for registry keys relating to Eset and deleting them. No luck.

I installed Trend Micro just fine. It did not give me any issues regarding Eset.

Also, thank you ThisIsJustMe, but IOBIT did not seem to resolve this issue. I installed Eset, uninstalled with IOBIT, ran the Eset removal tool again, but no luck here, either.

• superssjdan
    edited September 2015
    Options

I usually advise against editing the registry,but occasionally the following keys are present in the registry even after the uninstall tool ekrn and ehdrv,also entries beginning with epfw.You can also check the system32 or syswow64 folders for the above.Also look for ESET folders in program files,program data and user/your name/app data folders.

• VSBit
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I usually advise against editing the registry,but occasionally the following keys are present in the registry even after the uninstall tool ekrn and ehdrv,also entries beginning with epfw.You can also check the system32 or syswow64 folders for the above.Also look for ESET folders in program files,program data and user/your name/app data folders.

Thanks. I tried to delete every key and file with "ekrn," "ehdrv," "epfw," and "eset," in the registry, the Windows folder, program data, and appdata folders. Some items would not delete, even in Safe Mode. This did not fix the issue. I'm waiting on Bitdefender to respond to my email (they initially sent a registry file that did not fix the issue). This is frustrating because other AV programs seem to be installing just fine. I just wish that there was a way to force the install.

• I was able to delete all files located on the computer with the names "ekrn," "ehdrv," "epfw," and "eset," but Bitdefender will still not install.

• Hello VSBit,

I was able to locate your ticket 2015092312170001, opened with the same e-mail address used to create your forum account.

We are currently investigating the log send and we will get back to your shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

• I have the same issue. Has anyone found a solution to this?

• Ditto.

Windows 10, Uninstalled Eset Smart Security, but Bitdefender 2016 just won't install.

• Ditto.

Windows 10, Uninstalled Eset Smart Security, but Bitdefender Total Secuity 2016 just won't install.

Solution which finally worked for me:

- Downloaded the installer from Bitdefender Central and started it

- when the download was complete and the popup informed me that i can't uninstall the Eset Product

- then i went digging in the temp folder, found the downloaded installation in C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\RarSFX1

XXX & RarSFX1 - in your case is or may be different :)

- started the installer.exe and finished the Bitdefender Installation