Bitdefender Not Showing Up Under Start-Up Programs In Task Manager - Slow Boot Up Time

sailsin
edited March 2016 in General

Hello,

I've been using bitdefender internet security 2016 on my 64bit windows 10 for the past 6 months, just yesterday I've had to do a clean installation of windows thus having to download bitdender again.

The program right after installation showed there was an error saying that the "antiphising filter is disabled" , when i clicked "fix error" it failed, i did this several times and it always said failed, fortunately I was able to fix this by updating bitdefender and restarting computer, so no biggie.

For the past 6 months I've been using bitdefender I've always seen "bitdefender agent" and another process under the "Startup" programs in task manager and it is set to high priority, it was even there before I had to reinstall my windows, but with the version I downloaded yesterday form bitdefender central, I don't see any bitdefender processes under "startup" , not only this, bitdefender takes forever to load on startup ... longer than it did before i had to do a fresh install of windows , it almost seems like the priority set for bitdefener to start during boot up is set to low.

This hasn't always been the issue, I'm running on a core i7 5820k with 16gb of ram, before I did my windows fresh install bitdefender worked just fine, it never took this long to start the program at boot up, it was almost instant, as soon as the computer was booted up, bitdefender would boot up at the same time and i would see the "bitdefender awake" banner in a matter of seconds after the computer had booted up, it never took roughly 2 mins after my computer was booted to see the "bitdefender awake" banner and for the program icon to appear in the tray. I should mention that i have no other programs said to boot up at startup , so its just bitdefender.

Here are the things I have already tried:

- tried the "repair" bitdefender option, same thing happens: the antiphising filter error, slow start up time of the program and bitdefender missing from startup in task manager

- tried completely removing bitdefender and reinstalling, same thing hapeens

- I also downloaded a trial version of intenet security 2016 on a different computer with similar specs, the same error happens, so this concludes that the issue is not with my computer

- Under "details" in task manager, i see the processes: "bdagent.exe" and "bdwtxag.exe" .. both are set to "normal" priority, when i try to change the priority, it says that "access is denied" , could the priority of the 2 services be the issue of bitdefender taking forever to load up on start up ?

Any help would be appreciated, I just want bitdefender to start up as soon as windows is booted so I'm protected the moment my computer is on.

Comments

• Hiya,

Bitdefender has not been shown in my Task Manager Start Up section for a long time - in fact I don't remember if it ever did.

The slower start up, we are informed, is functioning as designed - whatever that means. However, Bitdefender integrates itself into ELAM from the moment you boot your computer, it is the GUI and modules that are taking time to show on your computer.

Ro.

• Had to google ELAM as I had no idea what it meant.

I double checked my system32 folder and was able to find bdelam.sys there so I'm quite relieved to know that bitdefender starts before all other processes are loaded. Thanks for the info! I was getting quite frustrated.

I did several restarts and the average time for bitdefender to load everything and show the "bitdefender awake" banner is 1minute and 30seconds ..... which is significantly longer than the 5 seconds I'm used to (yes literally 5 seconds tops) so I still think something is not functioning properly and hopefully they can improve boot up times with a future update... at least I know its not on my end due to being able to reproduce the same on other computers with similar specs.

So during that 1 minute and 30 seconds if I were to say start a malicious program or if an unauthorized program was to access the internet before the bitdefender icon or modules are loaded what would happen? Would i get any notifications since the modules havent loaded and icon does not appear yet?

• So during that 1 minute and 30 seconds if I were to say start a malicious program or if an unauthorized program was to access the internet before the bitdefender icon or modules are loaded what would happen? Would i get any notifications since the modules havent loaded and icon does not appear yet?

I can't speak from experience but assume that any malicious program or access would be blocked but you would not have the notification until all the BD GUI has finished loading.

• fburria
    edited March 2016

I'm in the same situation with the GUI load...is very annoying :(

I'm talking with spanish support but I think that they don't know what really happens with the GUI delayed load.

Hiya,

Bitdefender has not been shown in my Task Manager Start Up section for a long time - in fact I don't remember if it ever did.

The slower start up, we are informed, is functioning as designed - whatever that means. However, Bitdefender integrates itself into ELAM from the moment you boot your computer, it is the GUI and modules that are taking time to show on your computer.

Ro.

This "feature" (for me is a bug related to the GUI load) never happened to me in 2015 version, so I think Bitdefender must fix.

• Same issue with the latest Bitdefender Agent 20.0.26.1436. The icon doesn't appear immediatly, then Bitdefender doesn't ask for the Wallet password.