[Fixed] Network Traffic Causes Bitdefender To Use Excessive Cpu

Comments

• Still no response from Bitdefender on my ticket and it's been 4 days. What wonderful support.

• Wow, feels a little bit good to just hear of others having this issue. It has been driving me and my wife CRAZY on our two laptops. It all started around a month or so. I'm trying the "disable port scan blocking" right now. My CPU would never go to 100%, but it might as well had with all the stuttering and audio cracking issues it would display. Even the mouse would lag and jerk.

Hopefully BD will fix very soon. I've used them for several years and this is the first issue with them, so I'm willing to cut them a little slack this one time. :D

• If you say that the previous version of BD worked fine, why not install that version? Always the newer version has some problems. This is because they try to keep up but not always and for everyone this would work. If you are sys admin like you claim why you are so puzzled about this common situation..

• If you say that the previous version of BD worked fine, why not install that version? Always the newer version has some problems. This is because they try to keep up but not always and for everyone this would work. If you are sys admin like you claim why you are so puzzled about this common situation..

Why shouldn't I be puzzled with a common situation that is affecting my computer? Why should I have to downgrade to a previous version, because of 1 simple bug, that can be easily fixed. Now that I finally received a response from Bitdefender and am working with them, maybe this will get resolved. This is how it works with software. If no one reports it and no one has the time to deal with trying to fix a bug, it will stay like that. Bugs are meant to be fixed.

Downgrading to a previous version to resolve my problem isn't a solution to take, that's like downgrading to a O/S no longer supported.

• Why shouldn't I be puzzled with a common situation that is affecting my computer? Why should I have to downgrade to a previous version, because of 1 simple bug, that can be easily fixed. Now that I finally received a response from Bitdefender and am working with them, maybe this will get resolved. This is how it works with software. If no one reports it and no one has the time to deal with trying to fix a bug, it will stay like that. Bugs are meant to be fixed.

Downgrading to a previous version to resolve my problem isn't a solution to take, that's like downgrading to a O/S no longer supported.

please don't forget to share the fix for that proplem with us thank you .
  • please don't forget to share the fix for that proplem with us thank you .

Still no fix..

• I've just sent some logs etc back to the support guys from my PC that has the same issue. Hope they get something useful from them...

• AcePuppy
    edited April 2016

After sending them logs and them giving me a scenario of what to try to fix it (basically do a repair of TS 2016), which did nothing. They told me this: "Please be kind and send me a new support tool log and after I receive it I will send your case to our superior technical department ."

Like seriously, they $uck a$$ at customer service and support. I told them to visit this thread on their own forum. I'm about to contact sales to have my 2 years I just stacked on revoked for a refund and just deal with the problem for the remainder of time I had left of 4 months and switch.

• I feel the same way as you, I still have 501 days left on my subscription and I feel that over the last year, something has changed. Bitdefender has been at the top for years, but the underlying support has been bad for a long time now.

As I mentioned before and in another thread on here. They had data breaches and neglected to tell the general public, least of all the paying customers, they owe us transparency and honesty, especially as a security company. Their products are becoming bloaty, memory hungry and now slowing down our connection, and with little or no help in supporting their own customers. I mean, where are they on the forums? Why does it take them a total of 6 days to respond to a support ticket? It's not like they don't have enough money to hire more staff, as Bitdefender is one of the more pricy security suites out there.

@AcePuppy, I think I'm probably with you on getting a refund. Kaspersky usually comes in level with Bitdefender in the AV reports, so maybe I'm going to try them instead. I'm also sorry you have to suffer with the rest of us with this issue.

Yeah, I'm looking at Kaspersky and Avast! Will weigh the alternatives over the weekend.

• Yeah, I'm looking at Kaspersky and Avast! Will weigh the alternatives over the weekend.

I was looking to use Kaspersky as well as an alternative

but after looking to that video

I changed my mind

-https://youtu.be/BKzNUtvNeZk

• You think they don't know there are some problems and now because you were so brave to report, everything will be ok? They receive performance reports from every bd pc. That download problem is old as a monk. Maybe you should try BD Box ;)

• You think they don't know there are some problems and now because you were so brave to report, everything will be ok? They receive performance reports from every bd pc. That download problem is old as a monk. Maybe you should try BD Box ;)

Please just leave this thread, you are giving no help what-so-ever. You are basically copy and pasting information that can be seen by just doing a Google search or looking at this forum alone. If the download problem is "old as a monk". How come you haven't reported the issue yourself? Do you not care about being provided the best software as humanly possible? Or would you rather just invest in software where it is never fixed or updated? REAL companies listen to their customer's problems. Maybe you have never dealt with a company like that before. Also, if you are going to give stupid sarcastic responses and troll this thread, maybe you should at least try learning good English. ;););););)

• Hello there,

I too have noticed this issue, I see a CPU usage spike increase of around 15-20% whilst downloading files with Bitdefender Total Security 2016 Firewall module turned on.

For the test I used http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download/ and I monitored CPU usage over Task Manager on Windows 10 64bit.

I plan to contact Bitdefender today regarding this issue in the hope that it allows them to focus on a fix.

Best of luck with your current support ticket.

• On mine, it's looking possible that the 'Block port scans in the network' being enabled is causing the problem. Leaving firewall enabled, but disabling that single option seems to have it working fine again. Can't say I feel to comfortable about having to disable a pretty significant security option to be able to have my internet connection run at any decent speed.

• On mine, it's looking possible that the 'Block port scans in the network' being enabled is causing the problem. Leaving firewall enabled, but disabling that single option seems to have it working fine again. Can't say I feel to comfortable about having to disable a pretty significant security option to be able to have my internet connection run at any decent speed.

Nor should you have to disable the product. I'm sure that they will implement a fix if enough people report this issue.

• Nor should you have to disable the product. I'm sure that they will implement a fix if enough people report this issue.

Yeah, agreed, but during my ongoing email conversation with them about this problem, this is what they suggested about having that option disabled

"Configuring the settings in this way will not leave your PC unprotected and you are completely protected by the core Bitdefender modules."

Completely protected? so what am I with the option enabled then? I might be reading more into it than there is, but that suggests to me they consider that fixed.

• Yes, that's what I found too. With the firewall or the Block port scans in the network option being turned off, I get good speeds. I screengrabbed this as the scan started and finished. Do we bill Bitdefender for all the bandwidth they have taken from us? It's taken me a while to narrow it down to find that my problem was actually Bitdefender.

With the Block port scans in the network setting turned off:

speedtest1.jpg

And with the Block port scans in the network setting turned on:

speedtest2.jpg

Yeah I tried this, it makes no difference. I now see that with firewall turned on I'm getting 150/150, but it's now sporadic when I'm getting this issue. Sometimes I can be downloading with YouTube running and streaming to my TV with Twitch.tv going and have no problems. Other times I can be downloading, trying to play a game and my computer just completely lags out. I have no idea what the problem is and of course BD is no where to be found after responding on Thursday. I can see however, that most of their support team is in Romania. I'm giving them 1 more week and if it's not resolved, Im asking for a refund on my 2 years I just spent paying and switching.

• I'm having this problem as well. I first thought it was the Wifi driver from Intel that's causing the problem... Turning off port scanning is definitely helping at the moment, but it really shouldn't be a long term solution... Will email BitDefender and hopefully they'll fix it soon.

• Hi,

I have exactly the same problem (word for word) here in Belgium... (sorry for my English). I posted a thread on the French forum /index.php?showtopic=69193" rel="">https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=69193.

I don't understand why they don't recognize there is something wrong since mid-March. I have also sent 2 mails with reports to their customer service but till now, no answer.

I haven't modified anything at all except for Win 10 updates and BD updates (both making updates themselves).

When you read the Moderator's answers, BD is not responsible... To make it short, for them it is due to my modem parameters or another program running.

I'm very disapointed.

• In desperation, I even tried a clean install (formating and reinstalling everything) but nothing changed...

The only solution up to now is to desactivate the port scanning in the firewall option. It immediately resolves the problem.

But I'm not fan of this solution. :(

• Just got a reply on my ticket after telling them I'm not submitting a 2nd log file, told them to actually look at this thread and the problems and if it's not resolved this week, I will contact sales to revoke the next 2 years of my license for a full refund.. the reply.. generic.

Dear ,

Please be informed that we are currently working on resolving your Customer Care request, ticket no: , and will be getting back to you shortly.
    Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
    Bitdefender Customer Care Team
  • All i wanted to say is from my 5 years bd user experience i thought it might help. Had same download issue and every time i was eager to install the latest bd version. But now after all what i've experienced i came to the conclusion that is not a very good move to uninstall which is a bad idea in general no matter what av is used because pc remains unprotected for a short period of time during the change plus the compatibility issue might occur. I m not denying your opinion but i just wanted to help and come up with alternative solutions. That BD box idea would make a huge difference between a normal bd av installed on pc because will work as av + ips. You could request a change of the product in a your favor. Sorry for any inconvenience i caused to you or other members but that was not my intention. Have a great day and a virus free pc :)

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

A case was created on our internal testing platform to further investigate the issue you report.

We will keep you updated with any progress we make.

• Hello all,

A case was created on our internal testing platform to further investigate the issue you report.

We will keep you updated with any progress we make.

please I need a fix also for that proplem

I contacted bitsy@bitdefender.com still no answer

-/index.php?showtopic=69397%E2%80%8B" rel="">https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=69397​

when scan ssl is turned on twitch show black screen

and the only fix for that is to turn scan ssl off

even with a new windows 10 install same proplem

I have bitdefender total security 2016 .

• Same thing today during downloading from Utorrent. CPU is loaded to 40-50% and all my system is slowed down, audio in flash player is cracking. Also this happen sometimes when I load something from Firefox (or any other browser). And when I run Itunes Disk is loaded to 100% and my system is completely stuck so I can't work with it untill Itunes is running. Bitdefender should do something with this..

• I've just submitted more logs on my own support ticket, although reading through them, it's just a load of PINGS and Tracerts with basic network config included, nothing that could help them with their own code...

• Other then the above 4/24 generic reply.. no support reply since 4/21. Such terrible service.

• I notified them about this issue in mid-March and have yet to have ANY helpful suggestions from their tech support. When people on this forum figured out that it was the "block port scans" option messing it up, they said I should just do that and that it wouldn't compromise my security. Total BS. Plus, why did it take their customers figuring it out on a forum? They couldn't figure out what was causing it and issue a patch? Most of their email responses are simply copy/paste or automated. They've asked three times for a support tool log which I supplied in the second (of a now super long) support email chain. Shameful.

• Yep. There are 2 other forum entries on this site or the same issue. Lots of people are having trouble with the product. I've been in contact with support which has not been a pleasant experience.

• I notified them about this issue in mid-March and have yet to have ANY helpful suggestions from their tech support. When people on this forum figured out that it was the "block port scans" option messing it up, they said I should just do that and that it wouldn't compromise my security. Total BS. Plus, why did it take their customers figuring it out on a forum? They couldn't figure out what was causing it and issue a patch? Most of their email responses are simply copy/paste or automated. They've asked three times for a support tool log which I supplied in the second (of a now super long) support email chain. Shameful.

The unchecking of the block port scans does not resolve the issue. See above.

• Still no response to me since 4/21. Think I'm calling it quits tomorrow and contacting their sales department.

• TempleKa
    TempleKa
    edited April 2016

I've been having the same issue here for about 1 maybe 1,5 months on both my desktop and my laptop. Issues appeared, coincidental or not, after replacing my router. Used to have a Huawei HG 655 (so nothing fancy) and I replaced it with an Archer C2 (still nothing fancy but a big step up). Issues that were described in this thread by others started immediately after that. Only thing that actually fixes it is disabling "block port scans in the network".

Weird thing is I have some friends using Bitdefender IS 2016 with some chea.p routers (something similar to what i used to have, the HG 655) and they don't have these issues. Could it be coincidence or is there something different in these more expensive routers that conflicts with Bitdefender and the port scan option?

• Still no response. So, I've contacted sales to revoke my 2 licenses purchased for 2 more years and asked for a refund. Let's see how long this takes.

• Still no response. So, I've contacted sales to revoke my 2 licenses purchased for 2 more years and asked for a refund. Let's see how long this takes.

a new update that required s restart released today

I got it and it asked me to restart

what about you ?

• a new update that required s restart released today

what about you ?

Still at work so couldn't tell you. Don't see any release notes anywhere, so that doesn't surprise me either.

• a new update that required s restart released today

what about you ?

Updated, tested, still a problem.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Sorry to hear that the high CPU usage persists with the latest build version 20.0.27.1467 released yesterday.

This issue was escalated to our developers for further investigation. I will update you on this once I receive more details from my colleagues or to let you know about the fix delivered via automatic update of Bitdefender.

Thank you for your support and patience.

• spikeles
    edited April 2016

It looks like a moderator has merged two forum topics, one about high CPU usage and one about throttling started by AcePuppy ( see the old version here )which is why this topic suddenly has alot more replies than I remember and why the conversation seems a bit disjointed.

It would appear they were meant to be separate since the issue in the original excessive CPU topic could be fixed by turning off the "block port scans" option in the firewall, whereas that didn't work based on replies in the thread started by AcePuppy.

• As per the/index.php?showtopic=68902&page=1#entry251867" rel=""> first post by OverlordQ, it took actually using Windows Performance Toolkit to identify the cause of the CPU usage which showed as "lags". The lag for me caused everything to load slower and the mouse itself to move slower and "lag".

The CPU usage didn't show in task manager under the Bitdefender executables, instead it would show up as high CPU usage in tcpip.sys, ignis.sys, ndis.sys or excessive DPC usage otherwise attributed to "System".

AcePuppy said disabling the "block port scans" option didn't work for him which would normally make them different issues, but perhaps the Bitdefender techs think/know the two issues are related anyway?

• Hello all,

Sorry to hear that the high CPU usage persists with the latest build version 20.0.27.1467 released yesterday.

This issue was escalated to our developers for further investigation. I will update you on this once I receive more details from my colleagues or to let you know about the fix delivered via automatic update of Bitdefender.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Hello, I see my thread was merged from the Protection forum. I don't believe this should have been done. Our issue in that thread was bandwidth throttling with the firewall being on as you can see from my replies and others. Our issue was not a high CPU problem. Please understand that this is 2 separate problems.

• Still looking for an update..

• Still waiting Bitdefender. STILL WAITINGGGGGGGGGGGG

• Said to see one issue recognized in this thread, have my thread merged to it and have that issue not recognized even while a BD employee responds in it. Guess were back to not being taken care of again.

• spikeles
    edited May 2016

Can say this still is not fixed although it appears to happen less often. I haven't yet found at trigger for it.

This time I was downloading a .exe and sending a different file from my computer to another via Microsoft Remote Desktop.

The main symptom was lagging and jerky mouse on the desktop.

The low part in the middle of the graph is when i toggled the "Block port scans in the network" option off and then on again

Windows Performance Analyzer

post-188599-0-57038300-1462774840_thumb.jpg.

I'll keep an eye out and try to find a reproduction case.

• We can see you responding to other requests BD on this forum.. why not respond to this issue that has been submitted to development?

• As the name implies the situation has been sent to development, when we will have a update on the matter, the thread will be updated.

Rest assured the situation is not forgotten and it is being worked on. The developers are being poked and prodded for a answer.

@AcePuppy please take the time to read the forum rules, spam is not tolerated consider yourself warned.

If you wish to bump a thread do it constructively, add something that might assist in resolving the issue not complicate it.

• Hi Soren, I have the ETL (the Windows Performance Toolkit trace) I used to generate that graph above, would that help the developers?

I could email a link but I don't know where to email it to.

• Hi Spikeles,

Please upload the graph to www.wetransfer.com and post the download link, I will send it to the devs. Thank you

• I don't feel comfortable posting a link in a public forum with the considerable amount of personal information that is contained within an ETL file.

Instead I will send the link to you in private message.

• @Spikeles I have downloaded the file and sent it to our devs, thank you for your assistance.

This discussion has been closed.