What exactly is Real-Time Optimization?

Hello all and thanks for any help!

I'm an IT professional with 20+ years of experience and a computer science degree.  I'm new to bitdefender but have used practically all the other antivirus products.  I am switching to bitdefender because I like how it has a Game Profile mode.

When I enabled the game profile mode I saw at the bottom of the page you can turn on or off "Real-Time Optimization".  It is off by default...  I googled around and not much can be found.  I looked in the actual documentation for the Antivirus 2017 and it has one quick paragraph that really doesn't tell me exactly what it does.  This is what it says:

--

Bitdefender Real-Time Optimization is a plugin that improves your system performance silently, in the background, making sure that you are not interrupted while you are in a profile mode. Depending on the CPU load, the plugin monitors all processes, focusing on those that take up a higher load, to adjust them to your needs.

--

Say what?  That makes little to no sense to me.  It adjusts the processes that are taking high CPU?  How can it possibly do that?  If a game is taking 70% CPU for example, what is it going to do to focus on it?

To me it sounds like it is going to introduce more computing resource load for it to constantly check CPU and applications... is it really worth it if I am trying to optimize my gaming system?

Thanks for any help and info!

Comments

• On 11/23/2016 at 0:37 AM, Microtech said:

Hello all and thanks for any help!

I'm an IT professional with 20+ years of experience and a computer science degree.  I'm new to bitdefender but have used practically all the other antivirus products.  I am switching to bitdefender because I like how it has a Game Profile mode.

When I enabled the game profile mode I saw at the bottom of the page you can turn on or off "Real-Time Optimization".  It is off by default...  I googled around and not much can be found.  I looked in the actual documentation for the Antivirus 2017 and it has one quick paragraph that really doesn't tell me exactly what it does.  This is what it says:

--

Bitdefender Real-Time Optimization is a plugin that improves your system performance silently, in the background, making sure that you are not interrupted while you are in a profile mode. Depending on the CPU load, the plugin monitors all processes, focusing on those that take up a higher load, to adjust them to your needs.

--

Say what?  That makes little to no sense to me.  It adjusts the processes that are taking high CPU?  How can it possibly do that?  If a game is taking 70% CPU for example, what is it going to do to focus on it?

To me it sounds like it is going to introduce more computing resource load for it to constantly check CPU and applications... is it really worth it if I am trying to optimize my gaming system?

Thanks for any help and info!

It depends like when you are playing a game using a lot of resources bitdefender makes some optimizations on the computer so you don't have lag issues when you are playing the game

• 33 minutes ago, sebastian05000 said:

It depends like when you are playing a game using a lot of resources bitdefender makes some optimizations on the computer so you don't have lag issues when you are playing the game

Hey thanks for the reply.  I understand the concept but I am hoping to figure out what it is actually doing.  

The Game Profile itself is supposed to paused bitdefender functions and alerts.  Then there is this real-time optimization in addition to the game profile.  

It sounds like it somehow affects all running processes on the system.  I wonder what exactly it is going.  If something wants to run in the background it is going to stop it or what exactly will it do?

• Just now, Microtech said:

Hey thanks for the reply.  I understand the concept but I am hoping to figure out what it is actually doing.  

The Game Profile itself is supposed to paused bitdefender functions and alerts.  Then there is this real-time optimization in addition to the game profile.  

It sounds like it somehow affects all running processes on the system.  I wonder what exactly it is going.  If something wants to run in the background it is going to stop it or what exactly will it do?

I think delay the new process so that it wouldn't do any impact on performance

• Sorry to necro this post, but I have the same question as Microtech, and it seems to me a thorough understanding was not achieved.

Is it adjusting the priority of other processes such that those that "those that take up a higher load" are interrupted less frequently, or something? Curious on if anyone has additional thoughts here. I am dealing with stability issues and attempting to diagnose the problem. If this is tweaking priority levels I need to know, thanks!

• Hi all.  default_happy.png

Quote from bitdefender suppot page:

"Game Profile temporarily modifies protection settings so as to minimize their impact on system performance.

When a known game or an application in fullscreen is started Bitdefender will automatically detect it and Game Profile will boost performance on games, optimize product seetings, postpone background programs and maitenance tasks, postpone Windows Automatic Updates.

Obviously, once the game is over or no longer in full screen, Bitdefender will automatically switch to the previous Bitdefender settings."

As you can see there is a part that says "postpone background programs and maitenance tasks, postpone Windows Automatic Updates." , so I think it is about postponing and delaying programs that are not crucial in that moment.

• 3 minutes ago, Alternator said:

Hi all.  default_happy.png

Quote from bitdefender suppot page:

"Game Profile temporarily modifies protection settings so as to minimize their impact on system performance.

When a known game or an application in fullscreen is started Bitdefender will automatically detect it and Game Profile will boost performance on games, optimize product seetings, postpone background programs and maitenance tasks, postpone Windows Automatic Updates.

Obviously, once the game is over or no longer in full screen, Bitdefender will automatically switch to the previous Bitdefender settings."

As you can see there is a part that says "postpone background programs and maitenance tasks, postpone Windows Automatic Updates." , so I think it is about postponing and delaying programs that are not crucial in that moment.

Hello and thanks for the reply.  Yes I have seen and read that. The problem is that is the game optimization part which is separate from real time optimization. I'm definitely understanding what the game optimization does and use it all the time.  In a separate part it has real time optimization as a checkbox / slider.  I've read everywhere, asked support, asked here, no one knows what this option does.  I even escalated through support and got no real answer. 

• Even if it's been a long time since the last answer, I cannot find any additional information - neither in the forums nor the software documentation.

What exactly does Real-time optimization do?

There is a /index.php?/topic/54624-what-do-profiles-actually-postpone-or-disable/&do=findComment&comment=217957" rel="">post that claims it increases gaming-related processes' priorities to above normal. I could not verify that on my own as of yet.

Anyways, an official explanation would be very welcome, especially regarding additional changes/optimizations.

• Hey there!  Yes I gave up on trying to figure out what exactly it does.  BitDefender support's last reply was saying what you found in that other thread, that it may change the priority of processes in certain situations.  I've never actually seen it happen but I leave it on anyway haha.