Recycle Bin File Shredder context menu option missing

I am using Bitdefender Internet Security 2017 (Build 21.0.22.1050) on Windows 7 SP1

I use a USB 3.0 external HDD for backup. As a precaution against ransomware, this HDD is connected to the computer only when I am creating a backup.

My problem: The Bitdefender "File Shredder" context menu entry for the Recycle Bin is visible only when the external HDD is connected to the computer.

When the external drive is disconnected the Recycle Bin "File Shredder" menu option is missing.

(Recycle%20Context%20Menu_zpsulpfn2px.png

Is there a way to make the File Shredder option always available, even when the external drive is disconnected?

I am hesitant to do a repair installation, as the program is otherwise running perfectly, and is configured just as I like it!

If it matters, I did have the external HDD connected when I installed Bitdefender, AND I do have several folders on the external drive listed as protected folders in the Ransomware Protection module.

Thanks!

Comments

• Well, I seem to have fixed the problem, although I don't understand how, or why it happened in the first place!

I connected the external drive and then ran Disk Cleanup (as Administrator), with "empty Recycle Bin" checked, on both the external drive and the C: drive.

I then shut down the computer without ejecting or disconnecting the external drive.

While the computer was off, I disconnected the external drive.

After restarting the Recycle Bin File Shredder option is now present and behaving normally.

Weird! There must have been some old "phantom" deleted file somewhere in limbo on the external drive that was affecting the Recycle Bin menu behavior on the C: drive. (I wish I understood this stuff better...)