BitDefenderInstaller always open!

Hi,

I recently did a clean install of MacOSX Sierra (10.12) and I'm encountering the following problem with my BitDefender Antivirus for Mac 2016 (5.0.1.23) installation :

The anti-virus seems to work fine but since the installation, the BitDefenderInstaller app is always open (see screenshot below). Every time I quit this app (via the right-click contextual menu) it just reopens. Reboots make no difference. I tried reinstalling BitDefender but 'Utilities/BitDefenderUninstaller.app' gives the following message when I open it "The operation can't be completed because the original item for 'BitDefenderUninstaller.app' can't be found.".

Help!

Thanks,

CN

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 17.10.45.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 17.19.43.png

Comments

• OK so following up ...

I tried a method described in a thread here. This consists of restarting MacOS in safe mode and removing /Library/Extensions/SelfProtect.kext and /Library/BitDefender/AVP/antivirus.bundle/SelfProtect.kext. Unfortunately, this didn't work. I just get a ton of 'Permission denied' (even when I prefix the commands with 'sudo'). 

So I'm thinking maybe I could disable the autolaunch on startup of BitDefenderInstaller.app but I worry that that might deprive the installation of some important update down the road. Ideally, I'd like to remove the whole installation and then re-install but as previously mentioned, try as I might, I can't uninstall.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

CN

• Hello,

1. Download the "AgentFixTool.zip" from this location and double click on it to unzip it:  http://download.bitdefender.com/mac/tools/Agent Fix Tool.zip

Run the tool: you should receive the message "Bitdefender agent is outdated"

2. Click on "Fix" and then type your Mac administrator password and click OK, twice

3. If you get the message "Sorry, an error occurred" don't worry; restart your Mac and run again the tool

4. Now, you should receive the message "Bitdefender agent is up to date" and the "Bitdefender Installer" window should no longer appear

• Hi Sorin,

I have the same problem.

I ran the AgentFixTool an this tool says "Bitdefender agent is up to dat".

But still the Bitdefender installer keeps popping up...

I found an uninstaller for Mac, but that doesn't work either...

Is there another way to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Thomas