NAS Plex Media Server / Firewall Rules

fabiocaponi
edited April 2017 in Protection

Hi there, 

I've been experiencing an issue after updates have been applied to BitDefender Total Security 2017 that seem to block my local network connection running Plex on my NAS WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra.  

Plex has a plug in that runs on the EX2. It would randomly when trying to connect via Google to the Plex library come up with error as attached. 

It's something that been going on for a while and I had been going down the trouble shooting route of it being something to do with Plex & the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra but I could not work out why it would just stop. I didn't think it was related to BitDefender until after a reboot of an update, I got message when launching Sonos from my PC that it couldn't connect because my firewall rules had changed. I tried Plex again and I was getting the same error I've always been getting.  There didn’t seem to be any true fix, it would just start working again a day or two later or sometimes I would need to stop the Plex app running on My Cloud and re-start it again. 

I have tried to add a firewall rule in, but as it's a network NAS device, it doesn't show up as a Program Path and it does not allow you to enter in a custom local IP & port address without a valid Program Path.

Any ideas? It's becoming really frustrating! 

Thanks 

plex.JPG

Comments