BDLDaemon using huge amount of RAM/CPU

From Activity Monitor I see that BDLDaemon constantly eats 100% of CPU and 100 Energy Units.  It does back off somewhat when I'm in an application like photos or iMovie.  But when I'm not in any application other than Activity Monitor BDLDaemon runs  crazy high and drains my battery.  I get three hours of life running BD, if I turn of Auto Pilot BDLDaemon drops to inconsequential and I get 8-10 hours of batter life. 

I've excluded Drop Box from scans - not too happy about that.  Drop Box files aren't continuously updating.

I can not sample the bdlDaemon process from activity monitor.

I uninstalled BD via uninstaller and reinstalled BD from Central.  Same issue.

I discovered issue after contacting Apple regarding my poor battery performance.  BDLDaemon/Bitdefender stood out ridiculously far as the energy pig.

Please advise.  Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 1.00.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 1.00.34 PM.png

Tagged:

Comments

• Hello,

Please follow these steps and let me know if the issue persists.

You can remove the exclusion on Dropbox it doesn't affect this issue. You can however add a exclusion on the folder Dropbox downloads.

1. Uninstall Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/-1687.html

Note: remove all the Bitdefender files and folder as shown in the article from above and the previously downloaded .pkg files from the Downloads folder

2. Restart your Mac in Safe Boot

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH14204?locale=en_US

After this, simply restart your Mac without pressing anything else and it will, by default, start in normal mode.

3. Reinstall Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac from your Central account

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/-1485.html

4. Run a FULL Scan and wait for it to finish do not interrupt this scan as the product needs to index all the files.

Also let me know if if you have any external hard-drives, back-up disks, boot camp etc.

• Thanks Sorin.  I followed that process and had surprising results.

- After running the FULL Scan, BDLDaemon dropped to an energy impact of .2 to 57.5%.  Better, but really 57.5 is a bit high.

- I restarted my computer and  BDLDaemon was back up to +99 to 102%

- I ran another FULL Scan,  BDLDaemon dropped to .2 to 57.5%

Also, I notice that the more apps I run, the lower the energy impact of BDLDaemon.

In activity monitor, the CPU percentages, track with Energy Impact.

Impact on battery life is significant.  Runs 8-10 hours without Bitdefender running and 3-4 hours with Bitdefender running.  

Suggestions?  Explanations?

Tim

• I've got exactly the same problem. My MacBook pro has been running hot for the last 12 hours slowing the Mac down and making it difficult to work. 

Activity monitor shows BDLD running CPU continuously at well over 100%.

I turned off "auto pilot" and the computer returned to normal, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of having BD installed. 

Looks like this problem has been cropping up in forums for years.

• Should have added, I tried Sorin's fix but it only seemed to work for one day.

Even with autopilot turned off, Activity Monitor stills shows BDLDaemon CPU usage around 40-60%.

How can that be happening?

• Hello,

Please follow the steps in the article below and let me know if the issue still persists afterwards.

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/-1824.html

• I'm having the same problem (been an issue for a while actually).  I have a Macbook Pro 15" late 2013 running Sierra.  Often BDLDaemon is running at about 100%.  I've tried uninstalling Bitdefender, reinstalling it, fixing any disk problems with disk firstaid, rebuilding the spotlight index, done a new full scan using BitDefender following the online help.  Nothing seems to help.  Note I have other macs in my house running BD and only this one has this issue.

• I have a Mac mini 6,2 (Late 2012) with OS X 10.11.6 and Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac version 5.2.2.7

BDLDaemon will often use GBs or RAM after the Mac has been running for a while. Today it was using 3.5 GBs of RAM and the only way to release the RAM was to restart.

This looks like a memory leak. This is not the first time it has happened. CPU usage is not high, in fact 80%-90% idle while high memory usage by BDLDaemon.

Is this a known issue? Are others having the same problem?

• Helllo,

Please firstly reboot the MAC. Should the issue persist please follow the steps in the article below :

• Same issue here.  The process BDLDaemon got up to using 40G of RAM and renders the Mac mini, with just 8G of RAM, unusable.   The CPU is not pinged.     After the Mac is restarted, if you watch BDLDaemon in the activity monitor you will see the usage slowly increase.  It is acting like a slow memory leak.    The fix is to restart the Mac when memory usage starts getting very high.

I am on Mac El Capitan 10.11.6.   Running version 5.2.2.7 of Bitdefender.   Is that the latest version?  If I go to central.bitdefender.com and login it simply shows that the Mac is currently protected but not that the version is up to date.     In the Bitdefender App on the Mac, if I go to "About Bitdefender" there is no option to check for upgrades.

Thank you!

Susan

• My Mac has the memory problem too. On my machine the Bitdefender CPU usage is normal, but BDLDaemon RAM use is out of control! It climbs and climbs until I have to reboot the machine every few days. After reboot the Mac is NOT slow, it only becomes slow after BDLDaemon eats all the physical memory of the machine

I have tried the previous suggestions of uninstalling/safeboot/reinstalling Bitdefender, but I still have this slow memory leak issue.

1) This is on an early 2015 MacBook Pro 13 Retina with 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD

2) Installed OS is Sierra 10.12.5 (the latest)

3) Bitdefender version is 5.2.2.7

Please ask your programmers to fix the issue (thank you).

bitdefefender-ram.jpg

• YES. PLEASE fix this. Both computers I use have memory runaways after just a few days following reboot. This new macbook pro is again at 43GB of memory in use by BDLDaemon. Reboots only fix temporarily. PLEASE FIX.

• After just 1 day + 21 hours of uptime, BDLDaemon (Bitdefender 5.2.2.7) is up to 12.55gb Memory.  That's just insane!  Please let us know ASAP as soon as this is fixed.

• I am having the exact same issue with BDLDaemon. Turning off Autopilot is the only way I've found to stop it, which defeats the purpose.

• Hello,

I was able to reproduce the issue on our test beds and forwarded the case to our devs.

For the time being a simple workaround is to disable AutoPilot and manually scan the machine (Quick Scan) when adding new files to the machine (USB/Download/etc)

A fix will be deployed via automatic updates and I will update the thread when its released.

• Hello,

We have released a fix for this issue.

The update comes automatically, a device restart is required for the update to take effect.

If you disabled AutoPilot as per the workaround above, please open the interface run a manual update and restart the machine after it finishes.

• ShinySteelRobot
    edited May 2017

Thanks Sorin, this seems to have fixed the problem, at least on my machine. The software still reports version 5.2.2.7 but the latest download was installed normally. After rebooting my BDLDaemon is holding steady at about 300 MB.

• Hi 

Followed these instructions and upon reboot BDLDaemon still sitting on 99.8% cpu usage, disable auto pilot => instantly fixes. 

Unsure how to execute a 'manual update' as there is no manual update option within the mac version of this application that I can see anywhere within the application. I can confirm running the 5.2.27 though. 

Tried this again, uninstalled / installed / updated the software.

Executed full system scan, autopilot back on, straight to 99% usage again

• Hello,

/index.php?/profile/209539-mario/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="209539" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/209539-mario/" style="" rel="">@Mario the issue reported in this thread has been resolved. Please follow the steps in the article below :

Should the issue persist after following the above article please contact our support team via bisty@bitdefender.com with the bdprofiler shown in the same article.