[Sent2Devel] Desktop icons changed to medium and auto arranged after reboot

kfesm
edited January 2017 in General

Since I installed the Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2017 (autopilot, profiles off) on my win7 sp1 machine, after every reboot the desktop icons are auto changed to medium and are auto arranged (auto arranged icons unchecked) - It is very annoying

Tagged:

Comments

• Hello,

Please remove the Desktop from the Ransomware protection list and let me know if the issue still persists.

• chris79
    edited January 2017

Hi Sorin,

The same is happening to me. I will try your solution and I will let you know about the result.

Have a nice evening!

I think it's ok now. But it is safe to have the Desktop without the Ransomware protection? I have some documents and pictures saved there.

• Hello,

At this time we are working on a solution for this issue.

As a workaround you can put those files into a folder and add protection to that exact folder instead of the full desktop environment.

• kfesm
    edited January 2017

bdap2017.jpg

4 hours ago, Sorin G. said:

Please remove the Desktop from the Ransomware protection list and let me know if the issue still persists.

Hello, Sorin G.

Thank you for your suggestion, it worked! Until a fix will be released for this issue, I found also a third party solution: DesktopOK_x64.exe

Best regards,

desktopOK.jpg

/index.php?/topic/74779-desktop-icons-changed-to-medium-and-auto-arranged-after-reboot/#" rel="">Insert existing attachment

• I'm having the same exact problem!! i'll try this fix.

• mdgboxx
    mdgboxx ✭✭✭

WOW, just WOW !!???

I can't believe I read this, no sooner than yesterday, Jan 18, 2017

Over the New Year's Holiday week-end, my Windows Live Mail froze up on me, and blocked (deleted) my wife's account that I have on there along with mine. I immediately called my internet provider "VIDEOTRON". I spent a total of 4+ hours with two separate reps (I had to call twice) to try to fix this issue. Bottom line: I was locked out of my computer.

The following Tuesday, I took my machine to a legit commercial tech. He kept it two days, and gave it back to me on Jan 05, saying that my machine had a few glitches and that it was now clean...And, of course, it cost me $75 + Tax = $86.23

Although, he did fix something, (one thing) I still had to completely uninstall/reinstall my Windows Live Mail, on my own, to get it back to normal again. Then, when I rebooted, the desktop icons still went crazy on me. That was until I read this thread yesterday. I disabled Ransomware, and for the first time since Jan 06, I shut down my comp last night. I had it on sleep ever since. This morning, things seem to be back to normal again. (Windows Live Mail and desktop icons)

This is where it gets a bit complicated for me. When I went into my START MENU, I see that TeamViewer 10 has been installed, leading me to assume that, said tech, got lost and asked for outside help...He couldn't figure out what the source of my issue could have been. (He's an expert, with a commercial street address)

Which brings me to my thinking, after the fact, that, since Bitdefender is/was aware of the Ransomware problem, couldn't it (Bitdefender) have disabled said Ransomware on our machines, from HQ, until a fix was found?  

I'm thinking, if BD can send me all kinds of great promotional offers by eMail, it could have issued a warning that there is/was an problem with one of it's numerous applications. Not criticizing, just saying.....? 

• daman1
    edited January 2017

I was Dam n upset trying to figure out what was wrong for weeks tying all sorts of different things not in a million years would I have expected my AV causing this problem and it sounds like they knew about the problem!!

• Hello,

Sorry to hear about the situation you encountered. However Bitdefender cannot be remote controlled.

The only remote tasks you can run remotely are the ones available in your Central account and are locked to the account.

The steps provided were given after I was able to reproduce the issue on our test beds and forward the details to our devs for a fix.

At this time we are working on a fix.

• mdgboxx>

You don't need to disable the entire Ransomware protection. Only remove the Desktop from the Ransomware protection. It's OK. Until the fix will come.

• mdgboxx
    mdgboxx ✭✭✭

Hi kfesm, 

I did as you suggested and removed Desktop (actually two) one: Desktop, and one: Public Desktop. I rebooted and the icons came on as I had set them. Except that I had noticed that in the task bar, which also went BLANK when the icons rearranged themselves, until I opened IE from the start menu...Then the bar would fill in again. But, my IE icon, sitting at the extreme left, (next to the Start Button) would be moved to the extreme right. (Last icon of 9) However, I can slide it back only when I open IE and my MSN Home Page is on. But it only lasts until I reboot or shut down. That was also happening from the very beginning of this problem, but I didn't think anything of it, at the time.

But, that's not my greatest issue. After I turned Ransomware back on again, my Windows Live Mail started freezing up again. So, I turned Ransomware back OFF again, and WLM is working again. 

Your suggestion is really good, and I truly appreciate it, it did fix the icon issue but it still left my WLM in jeopardy. 

• I only removed Desktop I did not remove public desktop, after that everything is working fine no other problems.

• Sorin G.
    Sorin G.
    edited January 2017

Hello,

/index.php?/profile/189001-mdgboxx/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="189001" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/189001-mdgboxx/" rel="">@mdgboxx Please open a support ticket via bitsy@bitdefender.com and provide my colleagues with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool to further investigate this occurrence.

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-generate-a-support-log--1168.html

• mdgboxx
    mdgboxx ✭✭✭

On 1/20/2017 at 9:41 AM, daman1 said:

I only removed Desktop I did not remove public desktop, after that everything is working fine no other problems.

Hi daman1,

I added the Public Desktop back on, but I am too computer illiterate to even properly follow Sorin G's instructions: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-generate-a-support-log--1168.html above. 

I'll just keep Ransomware disabled until it is fixed.  

As a 72 y/o care giver to my wife, for the last five years, her family backed away, the few friends that we had are now gone, and all of her health providers communicate mostly through my Windows Live Mail. I've already wasted $85+ on a computer expert that couldn't figure out that the problem was with my AV.

My WLM is much too important, to have it put at risk for whatever reason. 

As for my computer usage, I have the following sites tagged:

Bitdefender forum

DVDFab forum

GolfWRX forum

MSN Canada

ImgBurn forum

Piriform forum

Nothing else.

• On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:28 PM, mdgboxx said:

Hi daman1,

I'll just keep Ransomware disabled until it is fixed.  

That's fine too :)

Has this issue been fixed yet?

• On 1/27/2017 at 11:52 PM, daman1 said:

That's fine too :)

Has this issue been fixed yet?

The BDAP 2017 v21.0.23.1101 unchanged, so no fix yet.

This bug is very old as I saw on forums old posts and they cannot found a fix. Another well known bug is "the game mode profile only" when the automatic profile is enabled (prolly caused by the new graphic card drivers with game settings included). As a new customer of Bitdefender these are the bugs I discovered, but the problems are well known by users and developers. I disabled the automatic profiles and I removed the desktop from ransomware and hopla, the AV is doing the job.

• On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

Again this issue is still happening over a month now!!!!  has there been a fix for this???? I have removed desktop from RW protection but  that defeats the purpose of having this AV if I cant add desktop.

• Hello,

Our devs are currently working on resolve the reported issue.

We understand the inconvenience caused by this issue and we apologize for it.

/index.php?/profile/176520-daman1/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="176520" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/176520-daman1/" id="ips_uid_4451_5" style="" rel="">@daman1 I kindly ask you to take the time and read the forum rules

/index.php?/announcement/18-bitdefender-forum-rules-read-carefully-before-posting/" ipsnoembed="true" rel="">https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/announcement/18-bitdefender-forum-rules-read-carefully-before-posting/

A fix will be delivered via automatic updates and will be noted in the changelog of the new release. Should the fix come as a EFX(update without a new build) I will post a reply on the thread.

• I thought a fix would have been pushed out by now as I haven't checked for some time now, I was notified by one of my clients she is still having this issue, Have no choice to continue to wait then I guess.

• Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2017 was updated to version 21.0.24.54. I put again "C:\Users\me\Desktop" under ransomware protection but things are not fixed. The Desktop icons auto arranged to medium again after reboot.

• Yeah, what the heck Bitdefender, supposedly the champs?  Just by chance I took the advice from a search and BAM....Bitdefender scores a direct hit to confidence heart. Drove me nuts for 2 1/2 weeks. Fix it so others don't endure the same pain. Earn your keep, and regain trust.

• Win 7 Pro and BD 2017 total security build 21.0.25.92. the bug still exist.

2017-07-10 09_14_48-Sistema.jpg