Anti Ransomware functionality

Greetings from a new forum user,

Question:  I've just recently activated the anti ransomware feature in Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2017, and did a little testing to make sure it's working.  Sure enough, when I attempted to access and modify digital photos, Bitdefender caught the activity and warned me, giving me the opportunity to add the application to the trusted list.  I also have an application, LTspice, which I use for electronic work, and I save the files it creates, with the extension .asc, to a folder within My Documents, which is under Bitdefender's ransomware protection.  When I use LTspice to access these files, Bitdefender doesn't notice the activity, and allows LTspice to access the files and modify or delete them with no questions asked.  Is this because Bitdefender doesn't recognize the file type?  I also notice that I can open and modify any Microsoft Office files, using the appropriate MS application, without Bitdefender questioning it.  I assume this is because Microsoft Office apps are already on the trusted list by default, even though they don't actually appear on the trusted list?  Thanks for any information; Bitdefender is a great program, but the documentation is a bit light on information about the actual mechanics of the ransomware protection.

Comments