Anti-ransomware completely misses Shotcut Video Editor output

PBear.SF
edited June 2017 in Protection

Using Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2017 (build 21.0.0.25.92) on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Lenovo desktop PC, I recently installed the open-source Shotcut Non-linear Video Editor.  Having created two projects with it now, it has completely failed to generate any sort of warning from Bitdefender's anti-ransomware module when writing output files to one of my protected directories and I have not had to add its file writing engine (qmelt.exe - which, I believe, invokes a copy of ffmpeg.exe installed in Shotcut's main directory to do the work) to my exceptions list. 

Qmelt.exe is a tiny stub of a program (132 kb) and I can attach a copy of it here at some point if someone at Bitdefender would like to analyse it.

This is the first time I can remember this (not) happening after installing a new program.

Anyone have any idea why Shotcut would not be triggering a response from Bitdefender's anti-ransomware protection module?

Comments

• Hello,

Please let me know if the .exe is digitally signed.

• 1 hour ago, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

Please let me know if the .exe is digitally signed.

Neither qmelt.exe nor ffmpeg.exe (in the same directory) is digitally signed -- but the main program, shotcut.exe (from which I instigate the encoding process) is.  But it is qmelt.exe that is shown as running in Task Manager while the output is being written (yet, like I said, I think that is just a tiny wrapper for ffmpeg.exe which actually writes audio and/or video output).

• Hi,

Has this issue been resolved? 

You can try adding that to the exception list.

Cheers! default_happy.png

• 17 hours ago, Firdovsi said:

Hi,

Has this issue been resolved? 

You can try adding that to the exception list.

Cheers! default_happy.png

No, I have had no further contact since I answered Sorin G's question above.  I do not know what the status of the issue is.

As for adding the program to the exception list, you seem to have missed the whole point of my original post.  There is no need to add any of the components of Shotcut Video Editor to Bitdefender's anti-ransomware exception list.  Shotcut is able to write files to my protected folders without invoking any sort of warning from Bitdefender's anti-ransomware module -- without adding an exception.  It is the first program I have become aware of that can do that -- and that was the reason for my original post.

It is a free program.  Perhaps your development team could download and install it on a test machine to check out its behaviour.

Regards.