BitDefender 2017 Auto-Upgraded to 2018 - Action Center reports problems

My Win 7 system was auto-magically upgraded to 2018 without my permission.  That in itself is a bad thing, but the Action Center Application now reports 3 problems (1) AnitVirus is off, (2) BitDefender is Off, and (3) Firewalls are off.  All the problems appear to point to BitDefender 2017 executables.  There is no apparent BitDefender 2018 directories.  It appears what is loaded is 22.0.1.1.

What is going on?  Do I have protection of any sort?

Upgrading to Win 10 is not an option.

Please advise.

Comments

• You will have some protection but not anywhere what Bitdefender states we would have by using 2018, I have a very hard time grasping that the program auto updates and gives us a very bugging version and then we are not able to revert back to 2017 from Bitdefender. As you can see below we are only able to revert back to 2016 according to Bitdefender themselves.

The reply I got from a tech support engineer.

If you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10, as a workaround you can consider installing Bitdefender 2016 using the kit below, to protect the system until our developers sort the issue. At that time we will also extend the validity of your Bitdefender subscription to compensate for the time when Bitdefender 2018 did not work as designed:

• Have you restarted your system since the BD update?  You may have to do a total power down and restart to load the new drivers, etc.

• Math_Matei
    edited September 2017

If you installed Bitdefender 2018 and everything goes wrong, follow the below steps :

1. Go to the Windows Control Panel
    2. Choose Programs and Features
    3. Double-click on Bitdefender Total (or Internet) Security
    4 Choose the Reinstall option

Your PC will restart after the uninstall process has finished after restart, will automatically start downloading the Bitdefender 2018 kit and then installing it

The last build will be installed 22.0.10.141
    Run an Update from the Bitdefender interface

Good luck!

Everything works perfectly for me

Windows 11 Pro - 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900KF @3,50 GHz, 128.0 GB RAM

• Mark957
    Mark957
    edited September 2017

Thanks for the responses. 

I was able to eliminate the 'symptoms' of the Action Center warnings by going into the BitDefender 2017/2018? configuration screens and turning the firewall off/on and the anti-virus off/on.

It's still an open question what is actually loaded as there are no Bitdefender 2018 directories, just words on the configuration screen that says BitDefender 2018.  That said, the majority of the executable files and dlls in the BitDefender 2017 directory were updated yesterday.

Matei M., I did not install 2018, as a Win 7 user, I was suddenly presented with a box that said I had to Restart to finish the 2018 load.  I did nothing to initiate this process.

dbrisendie, this happened yesterday and I do a full power down every night.

PS. I have opened a ticket

• You have to be confident
    I use bitdefender TS 2018 on the 2nd day of launch.
    Indeed, there were problems at first, but now everything works perfectly

Windows 11 Pro - 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900KF @3,50 GHz, 128.0 GB RAM

• You opened a ticket ... good.  Please keep us updated if you will.  Thank you.

• I have had the issue with TS 2018 and ATD on a Win7 system after I upgraded it but a different system that just had an automatic upgrade done on it TS 2018 worked fine and it is a Win7 Ultimate system. It did not uninstall either TS 2016 or TS 2017 and actually installed the TS 2018 files under the TS 2017 folder. Strange to say the least as it left everything intact that was already there and just added to it. Once I saw the notice pop up that TS 2018 was installed I thought here we go again, But much to my surprise all good.

Hopefully they get this TS 2018 issue figured out as right now (1) bad install (1) good install.

• I should have specified that the system that downloaded the update and it worked was a Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit OS on 64 bit hardware. The Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS and hardware still have issues with TS 2018.

• Tmod700,

My system is Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit.  BitDefender seems to be working, it's just the way it all came about that is concerning.  As all the changed files are in the BitDefender 2017 directory, how do we know that its actually 2018 other than the banner saying its 2018?  I don't suppose it really matters what its called as long as it is doing its job.

I opened a ticket yesterday explaining the circumstances via the bitdefender.com website (not from the BitDefender console interface); I have not gotten any kind of response as of this time.

• 7 minutes ago, Mark957 said:

Tmod700,

My system is Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit.  BitDefender seems to be working, it's just the way it all came about that is concerning.  As all the changed files are in the BitDefender 2017 directory, how do we know that its actually 2018 other than the banner saying its 2018?  I don't suppose it really matters what its called as long as it is doing its job.

I opened a ticket yesterday explaining the circumstances via the bitdefender.com website (not from the BitDefender console interface); I have not gotten any kind of response as of this time.

Ahhh gotcha, Well at least your not having issues with the upgrade. TS 2018 has a slightly different interface then TS 2017 so that is a hint something has changed as well as the number. I looked in the 2017 folder and you can see the new files that were added by date but still understand your question as to how do we know it  is indeed a new version while still residing in the 2017 folder.

When I contacted Tech Support it took a few days to hear back from them so give it a day or two.

• Regardless of what directory the files are in, if About > Version shows 22.x.xx.xxx then you have a 2018 product.

• Sorry for my delay in responding, the day job got in the way.  I supplied a number of screen shots to the support staff after opening a ticket.

They have confirmed that I received a free of charge upgrade from Internet Security 2017 to Internet Security 2018 and that my system is indeed running Internet Security 2018.

All's well that ends well.

• "My Win 7 system was auto-magically upgraded to 2018 without my permission."

It happened to me, but with a high price 99.99USD, compared to the standard retail price 34.99USD.

I have already contacted the customer service over ten times but still no reply.

Should I report to police for illegal cyber transaction?