Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Won't Stop Scanning Since OS Upgrade

Since upgrading my iMac to OS X 10.13 High Sierra, BitDefender will not stop "Scannning in Background". BDLDaemon is consuming from 70% to 100% of CPU resources.

I have tried the following without success:

1. Uninstalled Bitdefender (including the folders left behind by the uninstaller).

2. Removed the iMac from my account device list.

3. Reinstalled BitDefender from my web account.

4. Performed a full system scan that found no threats.

Bitdefender continues to scan and BDLDaemon to use CPU resources. This has gone on for several days. The only way to stop it scanning is to turn off Autopilot (which defeats the purpose of using the software).

I also have a MacBook where I upgraded to 10.13, and BitDefender on that machine is working fine.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Comments

• Correction: even turning off autopilot does not help anymore. BDLDaemon keeps running at 100% CPU usage even when autopilot is off.

• Hello,

Please follow these steps :

1. Open Terminal from Utilities and type:

sudo ls  

This will prompt you to enter the administrator password. Please type the password and hit Enter/Return. The password will not be visible.

2. Now copy the command below, paste it in the command line and hit Enter/Return:

sudo /Applications/Utilities/Activity\ Monitor.app/Contents/MacOS/Activity\ Monitor &

This will open the Activity Monitor as root

3. Click on View  from the menu bar and select All Processes

4. Click on View from the menu bar and select Update Frequency > Very often (1 sec)

5. Select the BDLDaemon and click on the "i" in the top-left corner of the window

6. Select the "Open Files and Ports" tab

If at that moment Bitdefender is scanning something in background you will be able to see what it is scanning. Expand the window and take a screenshot.

Also provide me with a screenshot showing the Autopilot being OFF and BDLDaemon using the CPU.

• Please see attached screen caps.

It is difficult to capture the scanning activity, so I have included two captures. It just goes on and on.

Also attached is an image displaying Autopilot turned off and BDLDaemon still running.

Thanks.

AutoPilot Off.jpeg

BDL Capture 2.jpeg

BDL Capture 1.jpeg

• Dujoro
    edited October 2017

Same problem here.  It seems to be some kind of loop due to High Sierra Snapshots.  I added the following to the exclusions and seems to have settled down now.  Time will tell.

/Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots

You'll have to use CMD-Shift-.  (dot) to see it when you try to add it since it's a hidden location.

Not sure how safe this is but it's better than frying expensive Mac circuit boards due to excessive heat!  :mellow:

• Lurkingbf
    edited October 2017

36 minutes ago, Dujoro said:

Same problem here.  It seems to be some kind of loop due to High Sierra Snapshots.  I added the following to the exclusions and seems to have settled down now.  Time will tell.

/Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots

You'll have to use CMD-Shift-.  (dot) to see it when you try to add it since it's a hidden location.

Not sure how safe this is but it's better than frying expensive Mac circuit boards due to excessive heat!  :mellow:

Thanks. I will give this a shot, too. I've had a couple of 15-30 minute intervals where it appears to "settle down", as well, but the issue has always returned.

So far, this attempt does not appear to be doing anything for me. BDLDaemon is running amok still.

Update: Around 5 minutes after adding the localsnapshot folder to the exclusion list, BitDefender finally stopped scanning, and BDLDaemon is dormant. We'll see how long it lasts, but I believe you have found it.

Thanks for this. And thanks also for the highly useful CMD-Shift-. key combo in the file dialogs about which I was previously unaware.

• Yeah, I was running into the exact same problem and just killed the BDLDaemon process.  (The process will restart itself using normal amount of resources.)

• Just now, Dujoro said:

Yeah, I was running into the exact same problem and just killed the BDLDaemon process.  (The process will restart itself using normal amount of resources.)

Thanks. Yes, see my update to previous post above.

• Hello,

Please ensure that the Time Machine is excluded from scans.

• 1 hour ago, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

Thank you Sorin!  Please understand this is not the same exclusion we are familiar with for an external backup disk.  This is new to High Sierra and the new way macOS does local snapshots.  To complicate matters, the location is hidden and there will be a number of people who won't know how to find the location they need to exclude.  While the instructions posted above will help people locate and exclude the new location, this may be better handled on Bitdefender's end and make the exclusion native to the application if it is safe to do so.  Just a thought.

Thanks!

• 1 hour ago, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

I already had Time Machine excluded from scans. It was one of the first things I tried. This did not help.

The advice posted by user Dujoro above solved the problem. Perhaps you should get him on your tech support team?

• I have set Time Machine to manual back-ups.

That seems to work as well, because there won't be any snapshots made. It's a bit strange for a workaround though. You don't want to give up on one security to increase the reliability of the other one...

• Thanks for the fix Dujoro.  There really is no excuse that Bitdefender hasn't been update to automatically exclude these local snapshots, or at the very least an official notice on how to fix it yourself.  You could fry eggs off my MacBook Pro, especially when it was in sleep mode.