Windows XP Broken at Installation
Hello! I recently switched from a (discontinued) competitor product to BitDefender. I have old machines - some run Windows 7, some run XP. My Windows 7 experience with BitDefender has been strongly positive - very few issues, and the chat support has helped me through them. Windows XP, however...
I installed BitDefender on two Windows XP machines. One is a home brew desktop, the other a Dell laptop. Both have had varied histories - the laptop's had a fairly quiet life (used for accounting purposes every three months, almost no internet use), the desktop has had a much busier life. Both had Norman Security Suite and Lavasoft Ad-Aware, which were removed during the BitDefender installation process. After installation, after reboot (not completed immediately), neither machine will boot.
Both machines hang after mup.sys. I cannot enter Safe Mode. I have run chkdsk from the XP Recovery Console, so I don't believe it's a hardware error. In fact, on the desktop, I've run every hardware test I can find - I've had it completely disassembled, checking to see if adding/removing any particular component has an impact. Sadly, it doesn't.
I've contacted BitDefender support, I've had four suggestions:
1. Contact Microsoft for support of a product they stopped supporting years ago, and which was working fine until I installed third party software (BitDefender - note, this was a level one tech),
2. It may be a HDD/Hardware issue (Level 2 support - but no one can think it's likely that identical failures would occur in dissimilar machines after installing the same software - it's too much of a coincidence),
3. It may be that both machines had a significant rootkit, and removing that rootkit during BitDefender's installation scan may have killed it (again, Level 2, and unlikely - they've had very different experiences, it'd be odd that both would share the same rootkit issues),
4. It may be there was an incompatibility issue between BitDefender and and old Windows XP Driver.
I've spent the last four weeks trying to solve this, the last 1.5 I've spent trying to use Recovery Console, including a 'Windows Repair' on the laptop. I seem to be locked out of C:Windows on the laptop - it wants a password to access that installation through Recover Console, and I don't have that password.
I'm not unhappy with BitDefender support here - I realize I'm working on an old OS which isn't widely supported anymore. But I'm wondering if others might have encountered the same situations, or have other ideas. For reference, my BitDefender ticket number was: 2017113007080003
Does anyone else have any further suggestions? Machines are both XP SP3, BitDefender product installed was the 'BitDefender for Windows XP and Vista' option (I've purchased Total Security 2018). I have no screenshots or warning messages, just an inability to get past mup.sys
Any assistance appreciated!
All Time Leaders
- 1.8K All Categories
- 780 Windows
- 88 Mac
- 330 Mobile Security
- 214 VPN
- 276 Central & Subscriptions
- 311 Other Products & Services
- 70 Security Research Team
- 121 Product features and Ideation
- 109 Enterprise Security
- 557 General Topics
- 138 News & Blogs
- 4.8K Home & home office protection
- 24.2K Old forum topics