Is VPN a MUST for me

I have BD Total Security.

I never use a public computer. I have my home PC, W7, Home Premium.

What exactly would an added, excluded to my Total paid version, do for me.

I don't mind paying for the best protection out there...But give me something for it.

Do I REALLY need this? 

Comments

• Hi, 

With a VPN your internet traffic is encrypted which works great for added privacy. Even your internet service provider should not be able to eavesdrop on your online activity

This is indeed especially useful when connected to public networks (due to their inherent vulnerability), but the VPN will work on any network. 

It is of course your choice whether or not to purchase the premium VPN subscription, and we do offer a 200 MB daily quota of traffic to all our customers, that you could use when doing online banking for example. 

• 200  MB/day is not much. I doubt many will find that of much use. I was hoping for a set it and forget it option.

• mdgboxx
    mdgboxx ✭✭✭

12 hours ago, wshawn said:

200  MB/day is not much. I doubt many will find that of much use. I was hoping for a set it and forget it option.

I was erroneously hoping that it would be an Update to Total Security vs a paid Upgrade. But, my question remains: 

Since I do not use Safepay or Wallet, is it REALLY a must for me?

I got a reply from Sergiu C., but of course, what else could he say? He's part of the team, selling this. 

So, let me rephrase: Who, out there, would buy the VPN, and why?

• mdgboxx
    mdgboxx ✭✭✭

After further investigation, I found that, while it's not a MUST HAVE, in my situation, I went ahead and bought Bitdefender VPN.

• Dont barther with this if you got more then 40/40 mbit connection, it wont give you more speed then that, and you waste money on your internet, if you got 100 / 100 you will still only get worth for 40 / 40 connection, it simply just to bad a service for any people with high speed internet.

• On 2/3/2018 at 10:08 PM, Manniala said:

Dont barther with this if you got more then 40/40 mbit connection, it wont give you more speed then that, and you waste money on your internet, if you got 100 / 100 you will still only get worth for 40 / 40 connection, it simply just to bad a service for any people with high speed internet.

I have read all three replies in as many threads.

I purchased VPN b/c I am not computer savyy, and given all the rage about worldwide internet manipulation, I am afraid of getting caught in something I can't get out of.

When I did turn it ON, it constantly turned itself OFF. I noticed that too.

I am relieved that I purchased VPN using the BD promotion. But, I don't think that I will renew. 

There is no common sense in buying something I don't absolutely need. Being TOO careful is not always a good idea.

• Thank goodness for your post. After reading it I figured I'd better read more about this "new VPN that BD is offering" in the forums.

What I've found out;

1. It slows your connection dramatically. Unless you have a T1 connection, you'll notice a huge drop in your internet connection speed.

2. With the 200mb/day free version, you can't even run an internet speed connection test. You will run out of available data part way through the speed test. So they make sure you have absolutely no way to test exactly how bad your internet connection speed will drop. I ate through 191mb just reading through these forums for this information. After disabling the VPN, I re-ran an internet speed test. ~25Mb/sec for 20 seconds download and ~6Mb/sec for 20 seconds upload (total of ~620Mb, so 200Mb would never work).

3. This new VPN roll out came with many bugs, including blocking you from your home/work network. Too many work arounds are required to get access to your own network if you allow this update to happen silently. I'm going to all of my other computers right now and turning off silent updates.

4. There is no offer to purchase a VPN plan to match your current BD plan. If you have a multi-year plan, your F'd in the A. You have to try to purchase this new VPN on the same day of the year that you originally bought your multi-year plan or else you have to deal with BD multiple times a year for your "new and improved" web security. A total waste of time in my opinion.

5. These are only the issues that I have found with this stupid offer in the English section. I don't read any other languages and am not going to use Google translate to go through anymore to post this. This is already plenty of information for me to never us BD's new VPN offer.

Hopefully this helps other people know how poorly BD is rolling out this so called "improvement", and will be able to avoid it at all costs. If you find other issues with this new VPN, please post them here too. I'm watching this post for replies and want to know every issue with this.

• Found another problem with this update in the forums.

6. Updates now take forever and eat up at least 100Mb per update. Updates are transferred at about 0.1Mb/sec, so these new updates would take about 2 1/2 hours to download.

• Again I found even another problem with the new VPN.

7. People are reporting that they keep getting disconnected from the internet, or that the VPN shuts itself off all on it's own. Really handy to be disconnected from the internet when you're using a VPN. Might as well just disconnect from your ISP and save your monthly bill....then you won't even need BD as you won't have an internet connection. Epic Fail....

• OMG, the more I look for information about this new VPN, the more bad information I find.

8. Multiple error codes (3, 8, 15, 19) and crashing of the VPN after purchasing the Premium version.

This makes me think back to earlier today when my BD started crashing for the first time EVER. Might have been after it updated to this new version that has so many issues.

• suid
    edited February 2018

I just got Bit-defender Premium VPN the other day now while I'm running on a google gigabit connection connected through the VPN my speeds are around 300Mbps down and 300 Mbps up. The only downfall I'm seeing right now is the stability. It seems randomly like if I'm watching YouTube it will disconnect for like 5 seconds and reconnect. Also a lot of speed test sites like google's built in speed test do not work with this. It just hangs also when I google test VPN and go through various websites testing the security of this VPN.

• /index.php?/profile/213216-suid/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="213216" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/213216-suid/" rel="">@suid Hi! 

Could you please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com ? We'd like to further investigate the stability issues you mentioned. I assume your internet connection is stable without the VPN ?