Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Full System Scan Problem

Options

Total Security 2018.  Build 22.0.19.242

The problem started around the last few days in February.  I was originally on Internet Security 2018 and 3 Intel computers all started the same problem.  When activating a Full System Scan the progress reached 26% and stops progress.   I have left the machines on for several hours and no progress.   Since I was due for Bitdefender update in a few days, I went ahead and installed Total Security 2018 on all 3 machines.   They all still do the same thing.  Full System Scan only goes to 26%.   Incidentally,  I installed the same product on an AMD AM4 machine and it has no problems.  All of the Intel machines operate fine with no other noticeable issues.   All other functions in Total Security work fine.   It is only the Full System Scan.  When I click "Stop" on the screen with the 26%, the machines all pop up with "system is clean".   Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to solve the problem?

Comments

• Sergiu C.
    Options

Hi, 

Does the file counter go up at all?

Also , please check what Bitdefender build you have installed > right click on Bitdefender icon in system tray > choose About. 

• Everett
    Options

Thanks Sergiu for your reply.    Build is 22.0.19.242.   File counter actually stops when the percent count is at approx 10%.  Then the percent count always stops at 26% .  Reviewing the system event viewer indicates 'fault module name is'  sciter.dll with vers 4.0.5.46817.     Also, I experimented by setting a custom scan and options under 'advanced' are all checked except 'ignore commercial keyloggers and 'scan for rootkits'.     When running this configuration, i do not have the problem.   If I modify the setting to include 'scan for rootkits'.  then the problem occurs.     I can only assume the the built-in full system scan includes 'scan for rootkits'.    However, since I can not see inside the built-in options,  I can not be sure.   Thanks again.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2018
    Options

Here is what the full system scan covers. So you could also try just creating a scan only apps/rootkit and a scan all files/rootkit custom scan and maybe confirm if that is the main cause?

5a9ac445639e8_bdfullsystemscan.JPG.cb1b5d5554484713571f48b2426f0f57.JPG   5a9ac46803ca1_bdfullsystemscan1.JPG.684a47b3fee366593715fa73d5eb237c.JPG

• Everett
    Options

thanks, Columbo.    I get the problem on both the apps/rootkit option and the all files/rootkit option.   So, I have concluded it must be the rootkit causing the full system scan problem.   However,   I am curious because no one else has reported or seemed to have this problem.   What could it be with my computers?

• Hi everybody. I seem to have the same problem. Only difference is that the file-counter does keep counting. The scan on an AMD-machine with a 256GB SSD (about 60% space used) seems to be stuck at 26%. I didn't cancel the scan - right now it takes already more than 21 hours and informs me that nearly 4.5 million (!) objects were scanned. That's way more than Windows tells me I have (there it says about 350,000 files). I'm using Bitdefender Total Security 2018, build 22.0.19.242.

One more weird thing is the location it tells me for the actual scanned file. Rather than, for example,

c:\windows\example.exe   

it shows

c:\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\windows\example.exe

I checked for path depths on my machine. There's nothing beyond 12 sub-paths to be found for me.

Everett, are you sure your counter stops? What if you write down the current number of scanned objects and check again after one hour? Really still the same? In the beginning I thought my counter stopped too. But actually it does update from time to time - just not continuously. But after 21 hours it updates to 4.5 million files (which I really hardly doubt to have).

I would love if someone can bring light to this mystery. Thank you and have a nice Sunday everyone.

Micha

• Everett
    Options

Micha6548,  I let the scan continue for several hours and it does increase file count, but very slowly.   However, i only let it continue for about 3 hours.   Also,  it is interesting that the actual scanned file is exactly like yours.  example,   c:\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\windows\example.exe       We seem to have the same type of problem.

• Hey Everett. Thanks for confirming counter- and file-path-behaviour. Yes, it really looks like the same thing for both of us. Let's hope someone understands what's going on.

• Beck
    Options

I have been experiencing exactly the same problem since last night.  I have Bitdefender Total Security 2018 and when I run a full system scan on my Windows laptop (with intel) it gets stuck at 26% and shows the same strange file-paths for the files being scanned.  I let the scan go on for 2 hours and it stopped at 26% though the numbers of files scanned continued to increase, and when I hovered over the files being scanned, the names did change.  I chatted with a customer support agent and sent them some screenshots of the issues-I'm currently waiting to hear back from them.  If I hear about what's going on or any solution, I'll let you know!  Have you heard any more about what could be causing this issue or how to fix it?

• Everett
    Options

Hello Beck.   Nothing new.  My problems and symptoms are exactly the same as yours including hovering over the repeated symbols (\.) and I can see the files do change , although very slowly.   I have had no contact with support over this issue.   I will just keep monitoring this forum to see what happens.  I BD does not solve this issue soon,  I will just change back to KP.

• Hi Beck. Thank you for letting us know you have the exact same problem and for having contacted support. Please let us know what they tell you. No useful news here. I tried a full system scan today on two other computers - it worked both times (AMD-Machine, Win7 and Intel-Machine, Win10). Couldn't figure out more though.

• Beck
    Options

Hi Everett and Micha,

Thanks for the updates!  Unfortunately I haven't heard from support yet, but if I don't hear from them tomorrow I will email them again.

I just tried a full system scan again to see if anything had changed and unfortunately had exactly the same issue.  However, I saw Everett mention that he didn't have this problem when he ran a scan without the searching for rootkits enabled, so I tried creating a similar custom scan (with "ignore commercial keyloggers" and "scan for rootkits" both unchecked) and that also worked for me with no problems.  So whatever's going on does seem to be related to the rootkit scanning.  Hopefully someone from Bitdefender can help figure this out soon!

• Thank you for your update as well, Beck. I won't have access to computers again before Thursday evening - but will check then if I can do a scan with your settings as well (unless there's a solution by then - hope dies last...). Thank you for keeping in touch with the support!

• Beck
    Options

Hi Everett and Micha,

I just had a response from support saying that the issue is caused by a product malfunction and that the development team are working to fix it.  They said that the fix will come via automatic update and that they will reach out again once the fix is complete.  So hopefully it looks like this will all be resolved soon!

• Everett
    Options

Thanks to everyone for helping to solve this issue.  I just checked my systems and the issue with the rootkit scanning is now solved.    Full system scan works fine.

Thanks again.

• columbo
    Options

Was probably part of the update that required the reboot today. Hoping it also took care of the /index.php?/topic/78480-important-windows-10-event-view/" rel="">Disc 51 warning, just needing others confirmation on that one, too.

• Confirming it all works again. Thanks to everyone for their help!

• I did the full system scan Saturday night, midnight, as always. (03/17/18) The next morning it was still running at 96%, so I did some chores and got back on the computer about 15:00 (3:00PM) After 15 hours it was still at 96% and had reached about 3 MILLION files. I shut it down. Version 1.0.11.12  I will try it again tonight.