Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender clogs the CPU

Options
aleroi
aleroi
edited February 2018 in General

BitDefender erroneously labeled the other thread of this issue as "Fixed", so I'm starting a new one. The problem persists even after the latest update until this date (Jan 19th, 2018).

Symptoms: The computer becomes laggy to use seemingly at random, with any moving video suffering from slow frame rate, any sounds becoming choppy and distorted, and even the mouse cursor becoming jumpy and laggy. The system continues to respond to commands but with significant delay. The problem is frequently recurring but does not appear to be linked to any particular program or activity besides being triggered by almost any process that initiates even a moderate amount of network traffic. 

Problem: Opening the Task Manager show that System is constantly taking up 20-30 % of CPU resources. This is unaffected by anything that is currently being done on the computer and does not stop even if every other resource-intensive process is killed. Even if the computer is otherwise completely idle the "System" process keeps using the same amount of CPU resources and the system remains extremely slow.

A reboot fixes the problem temporarily until it reappears. Before that happens, the System process uses only 0,1 % of CPU resources in regular browsing use or when idle.

Diagnosis & Cause: I ran Windows Performance Recorder (WPRUI) while experiencing the issue and analyzed the log with Windows Performance Analyzer (WPA). Opening the System process under Computation > CPU Usage (Precise) showed that the process actually responsible for over 80% of the System CPU usage was in fact vsserv.exe.

Vsserv.exe is a BitDefender process.

Troubleshooting: Vsserv.exe is triggered into this haywire mode by innocuous network traffic that BitDefender wants to scan. However, adding programs to BitDefender's white lists or exclusions does not remedy the problem. Disabling "Block port scans in the network" does not remedy the problem. Reinstalling BitDefender does not remedy the problem. Updating to the latest version (Jan 19th, 2018) does not remedy the problem. Disabling "Advanced Threat Detection" may or may not help, but I cannot confirm that at this time.

Comments

• I'm having this problem and found that it's occurring when viewing Twitch streams.  Normally Bitdefender uses >15% CPU but when a Twitch stream is opened in Chrome Bitdefender eats up all available CPU before the stream even starts to play.  The entire machine grinds to a halt and the stream is rendered unwatchable.

• Golota
    Options

Welcome to the club. This has been a problem for several months. Check the other threads. i have not been able to use BD since last November and still no solution...

• SteveS
    Options

I just found vsserv.exe doing the same thing on my system. No fix yet so it seems. We live in hope, or rather Bitdefender would want to hope they can fix this, or I'll be shopping for new security software soon.

• BD uses 300MB + of ram and quite an amount of CPU.... too much

• daman1
    Options

3 hours ago, MichelM said:

BD uses 300MB + of ram and quite an amount of CPU.... too much

Wow BDTS I'm only showing a total(processes) of 230 and no cpu currently on my box . That's not much at all realizing all the modules that are running. Any current PC running today with even 4gigs or RAM is plenty enough to run BD and the OS.

• I briefly tried the software, having bought a "BOX", but on my i7 with 16GB RAM, it brought the machine to a S.T.A.N.D.S.T.I.L.L.!  Now I will install it and run it, then remove it, but this takes a long time, because once installed, it takes 35 minutes to uninstall, because every key click or mouse movement takes 4 seconds or longer to register, and the machine is still lobotomized during the uninstall process..

Once the pigware is gone, the machine runs great again...