screen savers deleted

Hi,

I'm using Total Security 2018 on a Windows 10 pro (version 1709) box.

I have several screen savers I made some years back using a specialized software which I have used over a  number of years.   I know these screen savers and they do not present any threat.

Advanced Threat Defense is, of course, on.   However if I try to install one of my screen savers, Advanced Threat Defense, blocks and deletes the file.

I have tried to white list my screen savers in settings for Advanced Threat Defense , but Bitdefender cannot see them in them window white list opens to browse to the folder they are located in on my hard disk, I assume, because their file extension is .scr.

I prefer not to disable Advanced Threat Defense, but I really would like to access my personally made screen savers.

Does any one know if there is some way of getting these scr files onto the white list?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Richard

Comments

• Hi Richard,

Did BD delete the file, or Quarantine it? If Quarantined, try "create exclusion for restored files" and see if that works when re-opening it. Antivirus/Quarantine/View Settings.

• Columbo,

BD deleted the file, but I have a copy so, the problem is not to recover my screen saver file, but to be able to use it, and the others I have made.  As matters stand now, as long as Advanced Threat Defense is on, I can't.

Thanks for you reply

• columbo
    columbo
    edited April 2018

I'm not sure how tied in ATD is with the AV on demand on access scanning engine, but try adding them to AV Exclusions, which should allow for that file extension: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2121/

• Before my screen saver file was deleted, I had previously defined the folders containing my screen savers as exclusions both for on-demand and on-access in the setting for Antivirus shield.

Because of that and, since the "critical" notification the deletion of my screen saver file given by BD explicitly states that the feature giving notification is Advanced Threat Defense It seems clear that Advanced Threat Defense is at issue here.

Richard

• It sounds like you were already one step ahead of me on trying the Exclusion. Again, I wasn't sure of how the protection "overlaps". It may be something /index.php?/profile/212852-sergiu-c/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="212852" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/212852-sergiu-c/" rel="">@Sergiu C. may have an idea about, hopefully?

• Colombo,

Your right, I usually spend time researching a problem and trying different solutions, before I go on line to seek advice.

But I do appreciate your taking time to respond to my query with pertinent suggestions.

Thanks for you input.

Best regards,

Richard

• You're welcome, Richard,

I appreciate your patience and your thoroughness on your end. Our posts may be helpful to Sergiu as far as what's already been tired and thus other possible solutions.

Kind regards to you,

Scott

• 13 hours ago, ralbrux said:

Does any one know if there is some way of getting these scr files onto the white list?

Hello. Have you tried sending your files to the bitdefender lab?

https://www.bitdefender.com/submit/

• Hi Rampant,

Thanks for your suggestion, but what I need is not to analyze my screen saver, but to be able to get on Advanced Threat Defense's white list.  Which apparently as matters stand is not possible.

• 6 minutes ago, ralbrux said:

Thanks for your suggestion, but what I need is not to analyze my screen saver, but to be able to get on Advanced Threat Defense's white list.  Which apparently as matters stand is not possible

In the form of sending a file, you point to a false positive.

• Ok Rampant, I get it.   Unfortunately the upload url you gave doesn't work in my case.  I tried twice and both times got the message that the type of file I was trying to upload is not accepted.

So not only does Advanced Threat Defense's white list refuse to see screen savers (scr file extension) but also the url for uploading false positives refuses them.

Thanks for trying to help.

• 2 hours ago, ralbrux said:

Thanks for trying to help.

Let me once again, I'll try to help you)) pack your files, with any archiver, the archives accept this resource.

• Rampant

I zipped the screen saver file, but the problem is the same: upload not allowed.

I appreciate your taking time to assist and I am happy to try and be helpful to the BD team by submitting my screen saver file.  But it appears to be a difficult thing to do and I'm a bit doubtful of the utility of doing so.   It is a file specific to me with no implications for folks other than myself.

More importantly it does not have any bearing on the issue I am confronted with:  impossibility to white list a screen saver file (scr file extension) in Advanced Threat Detection.

Essentially as things stand now, unless I get some information from a DB tech, I have to choose between using by screen savers, and others I well eventually create, and Advanced Threat Detection.

• Hi /index.php?/profile/204475-ralbrux/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="204475" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/204475-ralbrux/" style="" rel="">@ralbrux , 

I'm sorry for the delay. Please send us one or more of the blocked files at bitsy@bitdefender.com so that we can test this.  If the file extension is blocked by your email provide, you can bypass it by adding the file to a password protected archive.

Thank you!

• Hi Sergiu C.

Thanks for your response. 

I have just sent you an e-mail to the specified address with a zipped password protected file (password is in the mail) for my screen saver.

I call you attention to the fact that I made this screen saver myself, so the file is unique to me.

I have been making such screen savers for myself over a number of years, and they have never been blocked before.   I don't try to use them constantly, but I never had them blocked before the current version of BD (Total Security 2018) using Advanced Threat Defense.

Best regards,

Richard