VPN DNS

ok2016
edited April 2018 in Privacy

Hi

When I check with dns leak tool like dnsleak.com I still can see my ISP DNS. I have found out that if I change DNS settings in Windows from automatically to google I can solve this issue.

Problem is that I have to change dns settings for my main network connection, not VPN connection in control panel/network connection/Ethernet connection Intel, not AnchorFree TAP windows.

When I do this both of my connection (when I use VPN and when I don't) use Google server. I want to use my ISP DNS servers for normal connection because it is much faster than Google (ISP 26-30ms to resolve, google 75-80, checked with DNS bench tools like https://code.google.com/archive/p/namebench/ 

and https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm.

Ping is like 5 or 6 to my isp and 30 to google.

I would like to have possibility that Bitdefender VPN can change DNS of my main network connection when VPN is in use so I don't have to do it manually.There are utilities that can do this - but this is the same as switching it manually because I did cant find utility that can change DNS when I start VPN automatically.

Also, I am not sure that DNS leak is serious. As far as I understand ISP thru DNS server can see domain I visit - not what I do or click. Am I right about this? Or they see everything like there is no VPN? If I am right about this I won't bother with switching DNS manually.

Bitdefender installed AnchorFree TAP - is that correct can someone confirm? I use premium bitdefender vpn.

Thank you!

PS I will post shorter verion of this in feature request subforum!

Tagged:

Comments

• i have found out that cloudflare at 1.1.1.1 is faster than google but still to slow compared to my isp. And I can see it when opening sites.

I have read that there is a way to turn of dhcp in router and/or to make priorities to lan conections so that vpn use their own so I can use cloudflare or google only with vpn without manual switching.

can someone explain how to do that?

• Hi, 

The issue has been sent to our development team. Thank you for the report and the additional testing, we do not have an official workaround for this at the moment unfortunately.