How to upgrade to 2019

Bill_k
edited July 2018 in Install activation

Would the proper procedure to upgrade from 2018 to the new 2019 version be similar to the /index.php?/topic/76623-how-to-upgrade-to-2018/" rel="">upgrade to 2018?

Looks like you'd run the 2018 Uninstall Tool and reboot, then install the new 2019 version through your BD Central account, is that correct?

TIA, looking forward to installing the latest version of BD! :D

Comments

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭

Hi...Yes, that's what I did and had no problem installing.

• if I did the same, uninstall version 2018 and install version 2019 and all ok

• For now you have to uninstall 2018 version and install the 2019 version, there is no date yet planned but they said in the beta community that the automatic upgrade will likely be released next month.

• Just completed an uninstall of 2018 and installation of 2019 version through BD Central. Went without a hitch and so far so good... Thanks to all who responded! :)

• Just found an easier method to upgrade from an earlier version of BD to 2019 on this support page.

• On 18/7/2018 at 2:05 ΠΜ, Bill_k said:

Απλά βρήκατε μια ευκολότερη μέθοδο αναβάθμισης από μια παλαιότερη έκδοση του BD στο 2019 σε αυτή τη σελίδα υποστήριξης .

It's all OK with 2019!

• upgrade ###### it does not remember exceptions from bitdefender 2018 i had to resetup everything. To make matters worse you can not add all programs in a certain directory and subdirectories for exampel for safe files protection exclusions. Not to mention if you try to add manually you it does not remember last directory used, many games save saved games in "my documents" which is protected by safe files and that's ok as i have other files there also and somtimes use multiple binaries so i have to rebrowse through the tree.

Also dealing with steam games it would be nice if i could just select the steamapps folder and it would add any binarie found in those directories as an exclusion but i guess bitdefender does not think about usuability and just wants me to add 200+ binaries from games there manually

• DimitrisG
    DimitrisG ✭✭
    edited July 2018

• tmk
    tmk
    edited July 2018

On 7/18/2018 at 1:05 AM, Bill_k said:

Just found an easier method to upgrade from an earlier version of BD to 2019 on this support page.

It doesn't work for me. When I try to download it, it gives me a link which points me to Total Security version but I don't want it, I have Internet Security version and I don't want to pay for an upgrade to higher version.

• 7 minutes ago, tmk said:

It doesn't work for me. When I try to download it, it gives me a link which points me to Total Security version but I don't want it, I have Internet Security version and I don't want to pay for an upgrade to higher version.

I recall the same thing happened to me, but when installed it activated as Internet Security since that was what my license was for. I'd suggest giving it a shot and if it requires a payment for the upgrade then decline (first make sure your payment info is not stored online in your account so it can't automatically charge you!), or if you prefer to not risk it you can follow the other procedure by first uninstalling BD 2018 and then installing BD 2019.

• On 7/18/2018 at 1:05 AM, Bill_k said:

Just found an easier method to upgrade from an earlier version of BD to 2019 on this support page.

It worked for me. I have Internet Security, and it was Internet Security it installed with your method. Thanks for info.

• Bill_k
    edited July 2018

1 hour ago, svenohrberg said:

It worked for me. I have Internet Security, and it was Internet Security it installed with your method. Thanks for info.

I can't take credit for the method since I just linked to the related support page, but thanks for confirming that it worked for you! ;)

• 28 minutes ago, Bill_k said:

I can't take credit for the method since I just linked to the related support page, but thanks for confirming that it worked for you! ;)

That's right, but you can take credit for finding it and posting it in this forum :D

• Unfortunately, my "upgrade from 2018" went bad!  I have "upgraded" numerous times over the years (loyal customer since 2012) without any problems.  This time I couldn't get past "ADVANCED THREAT DEFENSE DISABLED."  Tech checked a number of things and said a "reboot" will take care of the problem.  Well, I went to my Windows7 "restart" option and all seems fined UNTIL my screen said it couldn't find my Windows7 OS!  I tried everything to recover and it just wouldn't recover.   I have 2018 running on 3 other PCs and scared to upgrade those now! 

Anyay, I just ordered another PC (on my laptop right now) and scared to death to even install 2019.  That was why I started reading this thread - maybe BitDefender didn't cause the problem and it was my PC.  My new PC is coming (not my choice) with McAfee (which I don't like) but scared to try 2019 again.  Decisions, decisions, decisions...just thought I would share my experience.

• /index.php?/profile/151055-vpnavy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="151055" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/151055-vpnavy/" rel="">@vpnavy - So sorry to hear about your problem! :( Can't you reinstall your Windows OS (still a big hassle) rather than having to buy a new PC? If you've determined there's a hardware problem then replacement or repair would be required. You're the first one I've heard of encountering such an issue upgrading to BD 2019, not that it makes it any less painful for you.

• 19 hours ago, Bill_k said:

/index.php?/profile/151055-vpnavy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="151055" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/151055-vpnavy/" rel="">@vpnavy - So sorry to hear about your problem! :( Can't you reinstall your Windows OS (still a big hassle) rather than having to buy a new PC? If you've determined there's a hardware problem then replacement or repair would be required. You're the first one I've heard of encountering such an issue upgrading to BD 2019, not that it makes it any less painful for you.

I really rely on my PC's so not knowing if it was caused by B2019 or a hardware issue would expose me to both possibilities next time with a OS reinstall.   My PC has never presented a hardware problem prior to the upgrade but that doesn't mean anything.  If I am the only one experiencing this problem - I would assume it was a hardware problem.   I am watching numerous threads on B2019 upgrades to help with my decision whether or not to try to upgrade my other systems to B2019.  When my new PC arrives I will have to make a decision.

• Well, I just bit the bullet and tried updating one of my laptops - SUCCESS!  Had absolutely no problems.  I will try this laptop after I get my other replacement.

• 2 hours ago, vpnavy said:

Well, I just bit the bullet and tried updating one of my laptops - SUCCESS!  Had absolutely no problems.  I will try this laptop after I get my other replacement.

Glad to hear that it went well! Not sure what exactly happened with your other PC to cause the OS corruption and you may never know but hopefully it was just an isolated incident. If you want to take a more conservative approach making the BD 2019 update on your other PCs you could wait until it's rolled out as an automatic update which is I believe expected to be within a couple of weeks.

• 34 minutes ago, Bill_k said:

Glad to hear that it went well! Not sure what exactly happened with your other PC to cause the OS corruption and you may never know but hopefully it was just an isolated incident. If you want to take a more conservative approach making the BD 2019 update on your other PCs you could wait until it's rolled out as an automatic update which is I believe expected to be within a couple of weeks.

Sounds like a great plan.  However, my new PC is scheduled to arrive next Tuesday - so, I have decided to try BD 2019 right off the bat and stop the automatic McAfee Installation if I can.   I will let ya know how it goes.

• 15 minutes ago, vpnavy said:

Sounds like a great plan.  However, my new PC is scheduled to arrive next Tuesday - so, I have decided to try BD 2019 right off the bat and stop the automatic McAfee Installation if I can.   I will let ya know how it goes.

When I recently got my new Dell PC it similarly came with McAfee, so I went into the Control Panel and uninstalled the McAfee software and then rebooted before installing BD. Best of luck and I expect it to go well and without any issues, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

• On 7/29/2018 at 2:32 PM, Bill_k said:

When I recently got my new Dell PC it similarly came with McAfee, so I went into the Control Panel and uninstalled the McAfee software and then rebooted before installing BD. Best of luck and I expect it to go well and without any issues, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Well - I got my new Dell!  It came with McAfee installed.  After Windows10 finished all it stuff, I went to the panel and UNINSTALLED all three McAfee installs.  One wouldn't uninstall.  It was McAfee Live.  I went ahead and started BitDefender and it said I would have to uninstall McAfee Live - BitDefender also tried to uninstall McAfee Live but said I would have to remove it manually.  I tried - but it kept saying it couldn't uninstall!  I searched the web and guess what?  You have to run a separate McAfee Uninstall Program because Microsoft's Uninstall won't do it on some systems - what a piece of .......   I wonder how many users give up and just run McAfee because they can't get it uninstalled!!!!!!   After searching for about 30 minutes - I found the tool and ran it.  I had to restart after using their tool and BitDefender picked up where it left off and I am now running 2019.  Life is great again - living the dream.  Thanks Bill!

• 4 minutes ago, vpnavy said:

Well - I got my new Dell!  It came with McAfee installed.  After Windows10 finished all it stuff, I went to the panel and UNINSTALLED all three McAfee installs.  One wouldn't uninstall.  It was McAfee Live.  I went ahead and started BitDefender and it said I would have to uninstall McAfee Live - BitDefender also tried to uninstall McAfee Live but said I would have to remove it manually.  I tried - but it kept saying it couldn't uninstall!  I searched the web and guess what?  You have to run a separate McAfee Uninstall Program because Microsoft's Uninstall won't do it on some systems - what a piece of .......   I wonder how many users give up and just run McAfee because they can't get it uninstalled!!!!!!   After searching for about 30 minutes - I found the tool and ran it.  I had to restart after using their tool and BitDefender picked up where it left off and I am now running 2019.  Life is great again - living the dream.  Thanks Bill!

I'm so glad that you were able to get BD 2019 installed on your new Dell, as I did on mine. Now that you mention it I recall similarly having an issue uninstalling McAfee and also had to run their uninstall tool. Sorry that I didn't remember sooner which could have saved you some time, but the important thing is that you completed the installation successfully. Enjoy your new Dell PC now running with your favorite BD security software! :D

• Glad to hear that it went well! Not sure what exactly happened with your other PC to cause the OS corruption and you may never know but hopefully it was just an isolated incident. If you want to take a more conservative approach making the BD 2019 update on your other PCs you could wait until it's rolled out as an automatic update

• zoziano
    edited October 2018

On 10/23/2018 at 4:40 PM, zoziano said:

Glad to hear that it went well! Not sure what exactly happened with your other PC to cause the OS corruption and you may never know but hopefully it was just an isolated incident. If you want to take a more conservative approach making the BD 2019 update on your other PCs you could wait until it's rolled out as an automatic update 

Whatsapp Messenger Hotstar