Modified Firewall Rules Overruled

Adikrishvara
edited September 2019 in Protection

As we know, the Bitdefender Firewall allows both the inbound and outbound traffic of applications by default.  The user can manage these default settings, reset existing rules, or even add new ones.  When I block the inbound traffic of applications and launch them again, a new default rule will be created automatically to override the modified one and allow duplex traffic again.  The only way to block inbound traffic in the Bitdefender Firewall is to block duplex traffic altogether.  Attached down below is the screenshot of an example of the comeback of a default rule overriding the modified one.  It seems that the current version of Bitdefender really has an issue with modified settings.  By the way, why shouldn’t applications be denied inbound traffic by default in the Bitdefender Firewall unless otherwise specified or demanded?

Inbound Traffic Not Blocked.png

Comments

• 11 hours ago, Adikrishvara said:

As we know, the Bitdefender Firewall allows both the inbound and outbound traffic of applications by default.  The user can manage these default settings, reset existing rules, or even add new ones.  When I block the inbound traffic of applications and launch them again, a new default rule will be created automatically to override the modified one and allow duplex traffic again.  The only way to block inbound traffic in the Bitdefender Firewall is to block duplex traffic altogether.  Attached down below is the screenshot of an example of the comeback of a default rule overriding the modified one.  It seems that the current version of Bitdefender really has an issue with modified settings.  By the way, why shouldn’t applications be denied inbound traffic by default in the Bitdefender Firewall unless otherwise specified or demanded?

Inbound Traffic Not Blocked.png

Hi,

When you create a rule in Firewall to block inbound connection, you need to create another rule to allow outbound connection, otherwise a new rule will be created automatically.

You can , as an alternative , use alert mode but do please note that this will imply that you're ready to manually manage all connections and create your own rules. We do not offer support for this scenario as it's completely up to you.

• Adikrishvara
    edited September 2019

Thanks for your reply.  I've understood better how the rules of the Bitdefender Firewall are set.  However, this kind of design is not smart enough.  There's no such trouble in the Windows Firewall when you block an inbound connection of a certain programme of which the Windows Firewall lets go .  Yes.  I'd switched on Alert Mode as soon as Bitdefender first came into use upon installation.  After I had chosen what programmes needed to be denied duplex internet connection, Alert Mode was relieved of its duty.  I've been observing what's going on when inbound traffic is allowed unconditionally.  In spite of nothing harmful so far, I still hope that you'll take into your future consideration a basic zero management of inbound traffic blocking for the security's sake as the 100% permission of inbound traffic could be taken advantage of.  Who knows?  

• 4 hours ago, Roxana G said:

Hi,

When you create a rule in Firewall to block inbound connection, you need to create another rule to allow outbound connection, otherwise a new rule will be created automatically.

You can , as an alternative , use alert mode but do please note that this will imply that you're ready to manually manage all connections and create your own rules. We do not offer support for this scenario as it's completely up to you.

Sorry that I forgot to mention this.  We can't find the rule setting of inbound traffic blocking that you revealed in the manual.  Please include it in the manual.  Thank you.