Box 3 Requests

Is there any thoughts yet on a box 3?

Must have items for a Prosumer line

-QOS support

-Open VPN support

-URL classification (kind of fine with open dns)

-Ability to disable wifi

-Ability to support SIP for VoWIFI calling

-Would really like country block options.

I really think a add-on bitdefender option with OPNSense would be awesime, yes I would pay $10 a month with AV licenses.

Tried Netgear Armour the 7000P it is a pile of crap, Netgear doesn't have the greatest reptuation.

Comments

• Michael_BD
    Michael_BD Technical Support Manager BD Staff

Hi Stu, first of all I would like to thank you for your feedback. I've passed it along to the product management team.

• NP Michael

I will say it again, I think working with OPN Sense will be huge for both platforms. This type of solution would be a great Pro-sumer solution. 

• Hi I'd like to add that this needs more ethernet out ports, Box 3 should have at least 4 for it to be used a full replacement for a standard router.

• On 1/29/2019 at 2:14 AM, avalanch07 said:

Hi I'd like to add that this needs more ethernet out ports, Box 3 should have at least 4 for it to be used a full replacement for a standard router.

A switch would be a solution here

• Read the title & come back, thanks.

• digitalgriffin
    edited July 2019

On 9/8/2018 at 8:54 PM, Stu Munro said:

Is there any thoughts yet on a box 3?

Must have items for a Prosumer line

-QOS support

-Open VPN support

-URL classification (kind of fine with open dns)

-Ability to disable wifi

-Ability to support SIP for VoWIFI calling

-Would really like country block options.

I will add to that list:

Anti finger printing tech.  (Java scripts that ask for browser capabilities, version, OS, screen size, font support etc...)

VPN support for NordVPN

Dynamic DNS resolver services

Port Forwarding

Individual device bandwidth consumption charts (Could give you a clue a device is infected or misbehaving or causing network issues)

Port scanning with a built in link for open ports that show you what that port is commonly used for with the option to turn it off/block on the WAN AND LAN side

Sadly QOS on low powered hardware is pretty much a pipe dream.   It often cuts down on total throughput.  (Especially with SPI, DPI is engaged)   No manufacturer makes high quality QOS in consumer grade hardware...NONE.  It takes a fairly beefy computer with decent sized memory to handle high bandwidth QOS.

As to your quip about Netgear, they make good stuff, and they make bad stuff  (Just like all the other manufacturers).  But they are near the top of the list in terms of overall quality.  The 7000 is known to be prone to multiple issues, so it's a stinker.  The 7800 however is a real winner and often shows up near the top of the charts on a regular basis in terms of throughput, range, speed, and stability.

They  often issue ROM updates to address security issues.  Near the bottom are Linksys and DLink.  Their post sales support of these companies is HORRID. 

• On 1/28/2019 at 3:14 PM, avalanch07 said:

Hi I'd like to add that this needs more ethernet out ports, Box 3 should have at least 4 for it to be used a full replacement for a standard router.

+1 but i may end up not ever getting a BD Box ever Again after my experience this far with my Box 2 failing to work at all besides giving me a spinning LED and support not beginning the return process once contacted. I really hope they improve the quality of their products in the future instead of letting the competition beat them  

• Is there any high level timeline for Box 3?