How to back up your vault?

I'm a new user to Bitdefender and started experimenting with the vault. I want certain files encrypted like we all probably do. When I create and the lock the vault, it appears that part of the security is to hide the vault so that it doesn't show up on explorer etc. If it's hidden, how can it then be included in my backups (I use idrive)? To remember to unlock it and then specifically run idrive targeting that new drive letter seems error prone and way to manual. I chatted with someone from support and they said that I shouldn't be taking backups. I said, what? You're recommending I don't back up my PC? They then went silent. Maybe there's an option to keep the drive letter mapped all of the time (but still locked), but I've not found that yet.

Comments

• OK - i called tech support. I learned that by design, you can't back up the vault. I asked - so what happens when you have a hard drive crash? Apparently, that has not been considered. I wanted to use the vault to encrypt sensitive data, but still have it be able to be backed up (encrypted) to protect against failure on my home machine. This vault apparently doesn't permit that. What is the purpose of the vault then? How many people have important enough data (to want to encrypt it) yet not important enough to back it up?

• The vaults are stored as *.BVD files and are visible in explorer and can be copied and to another location which can be used to restore from later. You can (or at least you could) just take a backup of the BVD and then re-add to Bitdefender after restoring / reinstalling etc.

The problem is that in the last update they appear to have silently removed the encryption vault functionality from the application that I've used for years.

You can still restore from the BVD files by double clicking on them and there is a 'File Vault Transfer Utility' that will restore all your files to a folder. I've just used this and it has worked to recover all my files but now I'm left without the encryption functionality, last of my money BD will get.