Problem with password-protected excel files

Ahmad_hamdan
edited January 2022 in General Topics

Hello!

I installed bitdefender total security very recently, and since then I am unable to open any password-protected excel file. Every time I try to open a file it says:

"We found a problem with some content in 'File name'. Do you want us to try to recover as much as we can? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes."

Can you help me?

Answers

• Hello @Ahmad_hamdan ,

Are you 100% sure this issue started to appear after installing Bitdefender?

Are you getting this when you open every excel?

Can you try disabling Bitdefender and see if the issue still persists?

• I noticed while doing rescue scan. Archived ( WinRAR) are skipped as password protected files..suppose an attacker encrypts to shield from Bitdefender , will not get it skipped.

• Hello @GSMKE_1 ,

If an archived folder which is password protected Contains a malware, it cant do any harm to your computer unless its unzipped using password.

Once its unzipped using password, Bitdefender will readily and automatically scans it.

If you find my response helpful, please mark it as accepted/agree.

• Thank you all for your replies. The problem started just after installing Bitdefender Total Security. However, it is still persisting even after I decided to uninstall it just 24 hours after purchasing it.

I am talking about files I have for years and that I consult regularly. Once I instaled the software, I started to get the message and no files with password is opening, only files without protection.

This is driving me crazy as I thought Bitdefender will get my life simpler with more protection, but I am ending up having more problems.

Thank you so much!

• Hello @Ahmad_hamdan ,

Please create at ticket at https://www.bitdefender.com/support/contact-us.html?last_page=ConsumerCategory

Also you can email the issue at: bitsy@bitdefender.com

Technical team will review this and respond to your email. If my response helped, please mark it as accepted/ agree

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Allow me to intervene to point out that as far as I am concerned, I have no problem with my password-protected Excel files. I can open them without a problem. 

For the record, I own Bitdefender Total Security.

Best regards,

TaxiMagicien42

WIndows 11 Home 23H2

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor 3.70 GHz

Bitdefender Premium Security Plus