error message urging removal Bitdefender Total 2020

I am receiving error messages stating that C:\Programfiles\bitdefender\Bitdefender\Security\atcuf\264751354009710870\atcuf32.dll is unsuitable for windows et cetera. The mesage recommends removing Bitdefender. It also contains an error code 0xc000012f. After entering this at the Bitdefender Central Support webpage I was directed to a page with Bitdefender removal tools, but after choosing the applicable removal tool Bitdefender warned that the certificate for the website I was directed to was at fault. Is Bitdefender using the wrong certificate or are criminals trying to get me to uninstall my AV-program?

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

@RogierK

Okay, so we need to go into safe mode now, to solve this issue.

1) Uninstall bitdefender agent and bitdefender total security 2020

2) Remove your device from bitdefender central (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2795/)

3) Restart pc in safe mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode)

4) As soon as desktop opens, assuming your windows drive is C, open below things in run command one by one :

C:\Program Files (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Program Files (x86) (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\ProgramData (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Users\{your pc name}\AppData\Local (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

5) Open run command again and run below command one by one :

temp ,delete all the files in the folder

%temp% ,delete all the files in folder

prefetch ,delete all the files in folder

6) Restart your pc in general mode by unticking the option that you selected to run the system in safe mode and then click apply.

7) Try reinstalling bitdefender total security. After a success, a login windows will open. Input your bitdefender login details and your device will be synchronized with bitdefender central again.

Keep posted if issue still occurs.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hi Flex,

Thanks for your advice. I will try this, and let you know if it worked. I am quite curious though: is this a malfunctioning program or a virus attack? If the program was misinstalled why did I receive an error message about a wrong security certificate when I tried to download an uninstall program? What I also found puzzling, and noticed after sending my first message, is that I am unable now to shut off Windows in the regular way. Cutting the power seems to be the only way to do this.

Regards,

RogierK

• I followed your advice and succeeded in completely removing BitDefender from my system. Unfortunately I have not succeeded in reinstalling the program. If I start the newly downloaded installation file in Administrator Mode, I get a screen telling me that my system is being prepared for Bitdefender, and that's it. Nothing else happens and the screen disappears 10 seconds later. Something seems deeply wrong with this software.

• Flexx

@RogierK

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Kindly collect bitdefender logs (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1730/) & drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com .Briefly describe your issue and the solutions you have done till now.

Response may be delayed due to less staff and covid19. Rest be assured, they will reply back asap.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted

Regards

Flex

• I learnt new information from your article, you are doing a great job upsers! Thank you.

• Flexx

• I installed bit defender in my mac giving nice experience but one of Aadhar card website not opening any error ?

• Flexx
    edited October 2020

Hi Member,

Kindly stop spamming the post. This is not a genuine Aadhar card website. The genuine website is https://uidai.gov.in/

Also the topic is not related to your query.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)