Mac OS Big Sur

Hi all,

There doesn't appear to be a thread here, but it's safe to assume that installing the Big Sur beta is a 'no-go' due to the kernel extension changes. Is there a public beta version of BitDefender that would be compatible?

Regards,

David

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

@owl06

Currently there are no new beta builds for any of the bitdefender product. If any beta build will be available, the forum will be update with the information.

To know more, kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com

Response may be delayed due to less staff and covid19. Rest be assured, they will reply back asap.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• The support team hasn't a clue about what I'm talking about.

• Flexx
    edited July 2020

Hi Member,

Revert back on same email and copy paste below thing.

Hi Team,

Kindly let me know if bitdefender for mac is compatible with beta version of new Apple OS "macOS Big Sur"

And if it is not compatible, will the bitdefender 2021 beta line of mac be compatible with the same.

If possible get some information from your development team on this.

Regards

Hope this helps

Regards

Flex

• Any news on this?

• Hi,

BD currently freezing under beta. Any news on a working version?

Thx

L:

• Hi,

Looking for the same information on Gravityzone Enterprise, for macOS Big Sur.

The KEXT does not load. Needs SEXT or system extension.

Big Sur is seen as "MAC OS X" and some protection layers are active.

• Side effect: old version cannot be uninstalled for same reason. I have an open ticket for this

• Flexx

@SvenL, @Vladx71, @mistic

As per bitdefender support, currently the stable version of macOS will be supported by bitdefender mac product. Hence Big Sur being a beta product will not be supported by bitdefender mac product.

Regards

Flex

• Can we be sure that there will be a working version by the time the final version of Big Sur will be released? I remember there being a lot of problems the last time around.

• Actually after full remove BD and reinstall it by Support it is working again. So it seems they had successfully go around the kext issue

I am sure they are working around the clock to ship a fully compatible version before the final release, but the current one is working as well

• We only use on-access scanning. I installed the latest 4.12.81.200081 on Big Sur. Had to manually approve the full disk access and reboot. After a reboot it is happy. Then a minute later changes to "You are at risk"

It was able to detect and remove a copy of EICAR despite being "at risk"....

It doesn't feel good but it "works"!

(Installed from scratch on a test machine with Big Sur from scratch, no upgrades)

• RelaxationNL
    edited August 2020

Good day,

I've also installed Big Sur a while ago. Did you manage to uninstall or did you manually remove folders/files in specifiec locations?

Cheers,

Arjan

• Flexx

Yes, as soon as there will be a stable version of OS, bitdefender will release the product supporting the same. You see, in beta version changes happen on regular basis if the company finds a bug. Now, that bug may cause issue with bitdefender product if bitdefender releases support for beta version. So it is always advisable to wait for the stable version, be it for any software.

That is why in every beta software developed by any company, they state that, it is not the final version, use at your own risk or if you are sure of what you are doing then only use the software etc .

Regards

Flex

• Hi Flex,

I want to response to that. I 100% agree with what you are saying but you should also add that lots of companies are already providing software that works on Big Sur. This was also tested with the Beta versions of Big Sur. Developement versions are available for companies for this purpose. I would at leat offer Big Sur users the option to participate in any beta so at least they are protected, although it is beta.

Cheers,

Arjan

• Flexx

Well in that case you will have to directly share your feedback with bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com so that they can internally share your feedback with development team.

Regards

Flex

• miamitrue
    miamitrue
    edited September 2020

Bitdefender not working with macOS 10.15.7 update. Bitdefender freezes and out comes the beachball spinning away. I called support and they stated that they would escalate the issue and someone will get back to me.

• How will I know when it has been updated? I just want to make sure that I don't install an incompatible version that can't be used or uninstalled.

Does the current download work with the release candidate of Big Sur?

• Big Sur is being released today. Official version. But still no news of a BitDefender update. Presumably someone in BD is aware of this? Should be be expecting a BD update today prior to the Big Sur update? I see the last post was September but nothing seems to have happened since then.

• Flexx

Hi Member,

The product takes time for development after the stable version of any OS is released.

In this case, first the product will be developed which will support compatibility of stable macOS Big Sur. Then internal testing will take place by the development team. Bugs or additional issues will be checked and rectified and after sometime the new product supporting the macOS Big Sur will be available for download either through bitdefender website or from central.

Regards

Flex

• I hope Bitdefender dev team are working on a compatible version of Bitdefender with macOS Big Sur since Apple release a beta of Big Sur.

If it's not the case, I'm very disappointed... I thought  Bitdefender was better than Kaspersky witch I abandonned on windows for this precise reason...

• So, no work is done while OS is in Beta. Once final version is released then Bitdefender starts to look at it, starts to work on it, does internal and beta testing. By the time it's finished the next OS version is in beta again. The whole reason for the MacOS beta is to give developers the opportunity to test and be ready for the new OS when it's released. I have 3 other products with Big Sur updated today (most had beta versions that already seem to work fine with Big Sur)

• How long should we expect this to take? Can you give an indication?

• This is an infuriatingly shoddy policy. As other users have pointed out, one of the major points of the beta phase is for developers like you to get going and updating their software. While there may be subtle differences between beta and final release, core issue will (such as the deprecation of Legacy System Extensions used by your software) will remain the same. There is absolutely no reason not to start development on a new version of your software and making the necessary minor adjustments on the final, stable release.

This is not just disappointing, but a significant security flaw and will definitely cause me to look for alternate providers.

• Bitdefender you are a piece of shit!

Big Sur is out and live - Pushed by Apple - And you are sitting here with a shit software that doesnt work, doesnt uninstall, and a forum filled with crap like above.

If i could get my money back and run from you i would do it in an instant.

It's not like you've been warned for about 1 year or so... GFY

• This is very disappointing indeed, I still have 378 days to run on my Bitdefender subscription, obviously Bitdefender will no longer function if I upgrade to MAC OS BigSur. You say it will be compatible eventually... does that mean I will be paying for the days I will loose while Bitdefender is unusable? If so this is completely unacceptable and I think that your customers should be reimbursed for lost service. All of my other pieces of software have received compatibility updates for Big Sur except for Bitdefender. Is it possible to get a refund on my remaining subscription? I think you owe it to your customers to make reparations for this lapse in service. I hope to receive some good news on this ASAP otherwise you will loose another customer and trash your good reputation, this is a real shame as your product has been very effective and reliable up to this point.

• This lack of service is appalling. I have my subscription via Netgear Armor, so will raise this failure with them too.

• Flexx
    edited November 2020

Hi Member's

I am not a developer or related to bitdefender in any way. Like you, I am also a bitdefender community member & bitdefender user. My reply was based on the reply from the support which stated that bitdefender product for macOS does not support the macOS BigSur when it was in beta state. You should soon see an update for macOS BigSur also.

As known bitdefender did not released any beta version for testing this year for android or macOS for user. The beta was only released for windows only.

To know the exact dates and additional information kindly drop a mail to support at bitsy@bitdefender.com regarding your query .They will reply back asap.

Regards

Flex

• TravelingTartar
    edited November 2020

I just found this on their FAQ:

"Here at Bitdefender, we are aware of this change. We are currently working on a new version of Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac and we will provide full support for this technology before the official release of the next macOS version, which is expected later this year."

They made this statement when the kernel issue popped up with 10.15.4 (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/3779/)

You'd think that a firm that sells a security product would be ahead of the curve, not behind it. They're leaving us exposed!

**EDIT: Anti virus seems to be working, it's the VPN that is not working. **

Also, I just tried to send a support request and got this:

• Flexx
    edited November 2020

Hi Member's

As per bitdefender box support team, the available version of macOS antivirus on bitdefender website is compatible with macOS BigSur.

If you still have the issue persisting, kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com regarding your query .They will reply back asap.

Regards

Flex

• I tried this and did not work for the official release of Big Sur. I downloaded the Bitdefender Antivirus for MAC from the below web page. support as been horrible. I still get the appearance of the System Extension being out of date. Anyone else?

Bitdefender ANTIVIRUS FOR MAC

• Flexx

Kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com regarding your query .They will reply back asap.

Regards

Flex