Quarantined File, am I in the clear?

While working today, Bitdefender alerted me that it had quarantined a file. Sure enough an email had just come in from someone I didn't know with a suspicious (and kinda scary sounding file name) attachment. I looked at the notification from Bitdefender and navigated to the folder where the file was supposed to be (down many sub levels) and It wasn't there (I assume because Bitdefender quarantined it?).

The notification was in part (I've omitted much of the content of the notification, the path, etc.):

"An infected file attempted to run on your device.

Threat name: URL.Spam.Heur.4

Path: /Users/XXXX/Library/Mail/.....

We quarantined the file to prevent malicious commands from being executed on your device."

I immediately deleted the email, and emptied the Mail trash. I never clicked on the attachment (I am too savvy for that). Then I ran a complete virus scan with Bitdefender, and it came clear, no threats.

So am I now in the clear? Wondering why the file wasn't in the sub folder... because it was quarantined? I think in the past I could find such a file and manually delete it... maybe so?

A bit scary.

Tagged:

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

The files that are quarantined can not infect your PC since the extension of the files gets changed as soon as they are detected. Change in extension of the files means that the files cannot get executed. No execution means no chance of infection even if the file is quarantined and stored on your PC.

Every AV vendor when detects a particular file and quarantines it, it changes the file extension so that it becomes non executable.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• I'm no closer to knowing what it is. I've searched the Bitdefender website and no the net. Nothing. What is:  URL.Spam.Heur.4?

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

The detection is for blocking of spam website which contains the malicious item classified by bitdefender as spam.heur.4

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)